Smollett Released

I look at incarceration being there for two reasons.

1. To protect society from violent criminals.
2. To punish someone who has been convicted of certain crimes.

We can throw out #1 in this case, but IMO, Smollette deserves a stint behind bars for his conviction and the seriousness of what he attempted to get away with.

Okay, how was it "serious". He staged a hate crime to try to get his bosses to pay more attention to him, someone who wasn't him called the CPD, and they pretty much debunked it within weeks.

I have no issue with making him pay for the manhours wasted. (Although even more manhours were wasted in this kind of pointless prosecution.)

Okay, how was it "serious". He staged a hate crime to try to get his bosses to pay more attention to him, someone who wasn't him called the CPD, and they pretty much debunked it within weeks.

I have no issue with making him pay for the manhours wasted. (Although even more manhours were wasted in this kind of pointless prosecution.)

It's serious because #1, as a celebrity Smollette is high profile. Therefore anything notorious he is involved in becomes a national story, and in this case his elaborate scheme, and the claim of being the victim of a hate crime is seen and heard by millions of people, literally around the world.
Because of this, real victims of hate crimes are impacted on a much larger scale, as the narrative spreads wildly all across the spectrum of media, that accusations of hate crimes are not always what they seem. Anyone over the age of, say 40, knows all about the 'Tawana Brawley' case, as well as the 'Duke Lacrosse' story. This case now gets placed alongside these other infamous false flag stories, and it's unfair to real stories of victims who likely are now subject to more doubt in the claims.

Now I know this isn't what Smollette was convicted of, but his sentence was likely dealt out by the judge with the bias of his elaborate scheme being in the forefront.

And now the hysterics begin.

It's serious because #1, as a celebrity Smollette is high profile. Therefore anything notorious he is involved in becomes a national story, and in this case his elaborate scheme, and the claim of being the victim of a hate crime is seen and heard by millions of people, literally around the world.

First, few people even heard of Jussie before this incident.
Secondly, so what?

Because of this, real victims of hate crimes are impacted on a much larger scale, as the narrative spreads wildly all across the spectrum of media, that accusations of hate crimes are not always what they seem. Anyone over the age of, say 40, knows all about the 'Tawana Brawley' case, as well as the 'Duke Lacrosse' story. This case now gets placed alongside these other infamous false flag stories, and it's unfair to real stories of victims who likely are now subject to more doubt in the claims.

Um, not really. Neither of those cases reduced any reports of crimes. I don't think anyone says, "I'm not going to report my crime because a few years ago, there was a high profile case that was a hoax."

Most people don't bother to report crimes because the cops kind of don't give a shit. If Jussie hadn't been a celebrity, there wouldn't have been an investigation.

Now I know this isn't what Smollette was convicted of, but his sentence was likely dealt out by the judge with the bias of his elaborate scheme being in the forefront.

Except if he wasn't convicted of THAT, he shouldn't serve time for it.

I think Smollett is an awful person or an ill one, but nothing he did merits jail time.

Forum List

Back