Smoking banned in private homes.

I'm having a hard time imagining how second hand smoke is traveling through walls.

I certainly hope they pass a law that outlaws any potentially dangerous material in apartment buildings. Pesticides are toxic. Dishwashing detergent is toxic. Bleach is toxic...fumes and/or poisons from all of these products, and many more, can go through walls and kill your neighbors.

Also, it's quite possible that a neighbors dog can kill you. Please outlaw dogs. And cats, while we are on the subject. Both dogs and cats can carry ticks which spread deadly diseases including the plague.

I'm having a hard time imagining how second hand smoke is traveling through walls.

I certainly hope they pass a law that outlaws any potentially dangerous material in apartment buildings. Pesticides are toxic. Dishwashing detergent is toxic. Bleach is toxic...fumes and/or poisons from all of these products, and many more, can go through walls and kill your neighbors.

Also, it's quite possible that a neighbors dog can kill you. Please outlaw dogs. And cats, while we are on the subject. Both dogs and cats can carry ticks which spread deadly diseases including the plague.

when people exhale, they put out CO2 and thereby increase global warming. breathing in private residences should be banned.

Why do you think bar employees should not be allowed the same workplace protections that all other types of employees are guaranteed?

I think each business owner should be able to decide what will be allowed or not. I know, weird concept in US. I mean where would we be if the government didn't tell us how to properly use our property?

Back before employee protection laws people smoked everywhere. Schools, hospitals, restaurants, airplanes, elevators, etc. Do you think that was good for America?

well i was better off when i could smoke in an airplane or a bar than i am now.....but then i quit smoking.........btw when are they going to ban kimche.....that shit reeks.....

I think each business owner should be able to decide what will be allowed or not. I know, weird concept in US. I mean where would we be if the government didn't tell us how to properly use our property?

Back before employee protection laws people smoked everywhere. Schools, hospitals, restaurants, airplanes, elevators, etc. Do you think that was good for America?

well i was better off when i could smoke in an airplane or a bar than i am now.....but then i quit smoking.........btw when are they going to ban kimche.....that shit reeks.....

damn--another thing I can only do in my bedroom....mmmmm kimche

I haven't seen any hard evidence that second hand smoke is as bad as actually smoking. Having said that, my husband and I (both non-smokers) have always been sensitive to the smell of smoke. We avoid it whenever we can. One of the people in the article said it made him sick : "It gave me an instant headache, kind of like an iron band around the head," Goodrich said. "I could be sitting and have the air filters going, which eliminated the visible smoke, but the smoke was still there."

I do know that whenever I go to my friend's house (her husband's a smoker), the smoke is imbedded in EVERYTHING, including her pets. When I leave her house, I come home and my husband knows where I've been. I choose to go visit her because she is my friend, but I wouldn't want other people's smoke infiltrating into my home, if I could help it. I don't allow people to smoke in my home either. Although the word private is used, it's not entirely private because the apartment complex is shared by other people. I'm OK with other people's rights as long as it doesn't impinge on mine.

Last Monday my boyfriend and I were in a movie theater and a guy came in and sat near us. He reeked of cigarette smoke. We and several other people got up and moved to other seats far enough away so we wouldn't smell him anymore. He ended up sitting all alone in an island of empty seats. I think that lots of smokers are just nose deaf and totally unaware of how much their smoke or the odor from their smoke infested clothing is affecting others. That's partly why they don't get it when laws are passed to prevent them from stinking up public places. If smoke from their private homes is spreading to public areas or into other people's private homes, they are just as responsible for creating a public nuisance and public health hazard as if they blasting loud music. Actually loud music is easier to deal with because you can always use earplugs but you can't stop breathing.

Aren't you one of those "big on tolerance" people?

I actually like the idea of going into a theater smelling so bad from smoking that other people will give me a little island of silence in which to enjoy the movie.

Thanks for the idea, Angie.

Damn folks that cook with curry, man I've thrown up from the odor. I demand compensation.

LOL! Other people's cooking odors can be pretty awful. The lighter fluid fumes from my neighbor's charcoal grill 12 feet from my kitchen window is as bad as their cigarettes.

My neighbor loves to grill outdoors. I can put up with the smoke only because I often invite myself over for their barbecues. He's a great cook. I've even said to him "If I have to smell the smoke, I get to eat the food.":lol:

This is just ridiculous. :cuckoo:

BELMONT, California: During her 50 years of smoking, Edith Frederickson says she has lit up in restaurants and bars, airplanes and trains, and indoors and out, all as part of a two-pack-a-day habit that she regrets not a bit. But as of two weeks ago, Frederickson can no longer smoke in the one place she loves the most: her home.

Frederickson lives in an apartment in Belmont, California, a quiet city about 23 miles, or 37 kilometers, south of San Francisco that is now home to perhaps the nation's strictest anti-smoking law, effectively outlawing lighting up in all apartment buildings.

Smoking ban extends to apartments in California city - International Herald Tribune

I haven't seen any hard evidence that second hand smoke is as bad as actually smoking.

There's plenty, but nearly all flawed. The flaws are ignored though (similar to those in global warming theory) even when they are questioned by reputable scientists. Problem is tha anti tobacco lobby and the climate change lobby are both juggernauts that is is politically incorrect to get in the way of. What I always found slightly strange however was that:

1. Any scientist who questions second hand smoke toxicity is assumed to be in the pocket of big tobacco, but the fact that many scientists who support smoking bans are funded by grants from the anti lobby and from Big Pharma (producers of nicotine patches, etc.) is overlooked. If there's a conflict of interest for one, why not for the other?

2. Any scientist who questions global warming is assumed to be in the pocket of big oil, but the fact that many scientists who support the climate change agenda are funded by grants from the CC lobby or by a government that clearly is swallowing every word about CC is overlooked. If there's a conflict of interest for one, why not for the other?

Notice any similarities? The problem is that any time someone questions passive smoking science or climate change science, they are shouted down by those with a vested interest in denying them a voice. Thus the debate about whether either of the two has merit has never really been allowed to take place. There are plenty of scientists who have misgivings about both issues, but all know it is career suicide to say so.

Personally, I have doubts about both issues (particularly the tobacco debate, where I know a huge number of questions have been brushed under the carpet, massive assumptions have been made, and inconvenient findings have been ignored or hushed up), and I would dearly love to see the debate take place. But the juggernauts have reached pretty much terminal velocity now. Anyone who gets in the way gets crushed.

It's the thin end of the wedge, IMO.

Fact is we have gestapos everywhere people. I had a neighbor that lived a half a mile away come tell me his wife did not care for my sleeveless attire while I worked in my garden out in our front yard.

Fact is we have gestapos everywhere people. I had a neighbor that lived a half a mile away come tell me his wife did not care for my sleeveless attire while I worked in my garden out in our front yard.

Sounds like my goofy principal. One of our 'rules' no sleeveless dresses or blouses. What is it about our upper arms? Drive men to lack of control? My guess, she's a cow and can't go there.

Sounds like my goofy principal. One of our 'rules' no sleeveless dresses or blouses. What is it about our upper arms? Drive men to lack of control? My guess, she's a cow and can't go there.

Thinkin' the same thing myself. When the temperature hits 80+ F, there is no way I'm having my shoulders covered. That's torture.

Thinkin' the same thing myself. When the temperature hits 80+ F, there is no way I'm having my shoulders covered. That's torture.

Agree. I'm 50+ and there's a reason I work out those upper arms. Not for 'sex appeal' but 'uggg' avoidance.

Agree. I'm 50+ and there's a reason I work out those upper arms. Not for 'sex appeal' but 'uggg' avoidance.

You're so generous Annie! You workout for your fellow men and women. :eusa_angel:

fact is we have gestapos everywhere people. I had a neighbor that lived a half a mile away come tell me his wife did not care for my sleeveless attire while i worked in my garden out in our front yard.

hussy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone really agree smoking should be banned in your own home?

Yes, if there are children living in the home or other people living there who are made sick by the smoke. Lots of people follow that rule nowadays anyway, including my neighbors who don't smoke inside when the kids are at home. Unfortunately they smoke outside where their smoke goes in the windows of other people's homes where there are children.

Why don't smokers just switch to smokeless tobacco? That way they only affect their own health. Though they are still unkissable.

damn folks that cook with curry, man i've thrown up from the odor. I demand compensation.

lol! Other people's cooking odors can be pretty awful. The lighter fluid fumes from my neighbor's charcoal grill 12 feet from my kitchen window is as bad as their cigarettes.

my neighbor loves to grill outdoors. I can put up with the smoke only because i often invite myself over for their barbecues. He's a great cook. I've even said to him "if i have to smell the smoke, i get to eat the food.":lol:

lol!

This is freaking crazy! I don't smoke, and when I did I never smoked in my house, but still, these people should be able to do whatever they want in their homes. (as long as there's not a well, a poodle and Nazi paraphernalia. :tongue: )

*I can't stand my loud, rude, obnoxious neighbor who lives above me, can I get a law against her too?
Whine long enough and get on the city council you have a good shot at it EZ.

I guess so. She's goes crying to the condo board if my daughter shuts the door "too loud"-yet I can here her fat ass stomping around upstairs, I swear that is why the lighting fixture in my ceiling fell out! I think she does it on purpose!

Maybe I'll take up smoking again and blow it up her ass! :lol:
I had a neighbor like that, he would let his freakin grandkids use their karokee machine at all hours or bounce their basketball but we played our music louder to drowned out their noice he would start pounding on the floor.
And as for the smell, try going into a bar now that doesn't allow smoking! Now all you can smell is sweat and B.O. and whatever else humans put off!

Forum List

Back