Smoking banned in private homes.

I was an apartment manager at one time and all you have to do is basically paint and clean the carpet to get the smoke smell out. It's really not much different because we did that when any tenent moved out. I guess if you don't do that, then it would be a pain. Our most common problems were families with small kids that usually left stains on the carpets. So maybe we should have had a no kid clause in our leases.
We had smokers in one of our apts and had to wash the yellow build up on the walls, the wallpaper was too new and expensive to paint over. We cleaned the carpeted areas but the worst part was cleaning the scum off the windows and the mini blinds. We ended up just replaving most. Our next tenants assured us they didn't smoke but it turns out they were stinky candle freaks. LOL Almost as much scum plus melted wax everywhere. We still alow pets though.

I'd probably light up another, pour a single shot, and get over it. Of course you would be welcome to come in.... if, of course, you understand that you would be choosing to expose yourself to second hand smoke.

:eusa_angel:

Smoking Gun, with only your favorite person, Rabid, at your bar waiting for the other members of the Black Lung Liberation Army to show up, you'd be begging me to come in and have something top shelf on you. If smoking was legal in your town, I'd be elsewhere gathering signatures but if it wasn't I'd bust your place wide open as undercover heath/OSHA inspector. Not before ordering a pizza to go and handing Rabid, your part-time bar wench, her pink (lung) slip.

Later, you'd thank me for shutting you down before the bank foreclosed on the smellyist, emptiest bar your side of the Mississippi.

Actually, since my bar would be collecting all the former patrons of other bars that have been alienated by pink lunger policy I'm pretty sure you'd have to wait in line before being admitted. Fire Safety only allows so many patrons inside at one time, you know.

Then, after I make a killing providing smokers with a location that they actually WANT to drink at I'd go ahead and check on your frozen ass. IF you have not become an icicle then I'd let you in for an after hour cocktail providing that you wear the obligatory gas mask. If you froze to death.. well. I hear purged smokers can always use something to put their butts out on.

I was an apartment manager at one time and all you have to do is basically paint and clean the carpet to get the smoke smell out. It's really not much different because we did that when any tenent moved out. I guess if you don't do that, then it would be a pain. Our most common problems were families with small kids that usually left stains on the carpets. So maybe we should have had a no kid clause in our leases.
We had smokers in one of our apts and had to wash the yellow build up on the walls, the wallpaper was too new and expensive to paint over. We cleaned the carpeted areas but the worst part was cleaning the scum off the windows and the mini blinds. We ended up just replaving most. Our next tenants assured us they didn't smoke but it turns out they were stinky candle freaks. LOL Almost as much scum plus melted wax everywhere. We still alow pets though.

Yeah, that would have been a pain and we probably would have charged it against the security deposit. We replaced the blinds if they were broken or either soaked them in the bathtub. But I was working with low income tenents, so our apartments were really basic. Wiping down the windows would have been a 30 minute job.

9. The EPA, WHO, and many other organizations and individuals who have published data showing a link between STS and chronic conditions have knowingly manipulated data and ignored statistical best practice in order to arrive at a seemingly predetermined result. In view of this, and the fact that so much legislation is based on conclusions reached by such organizations, it is reasonable to feel that a full and honest debate has not taken place, the science is unproven, and the legislation is therefore unconstitutional.

There you have it. Fire away.

I don't agree for much the same kinds of reasons I don't think Bush ordered the planes to fly into the World Trade Center.

The tobacco industry has failed to prove their product is safe and the onus is on them to do so. Tobacco and STS have been proven a serious and widespread health risk and public nuisance to my satisfaction.

Are you sure you you made up these questions yourself? They sound like stuff taken off one of those conspiracy sites.

Here's a question for you from me: Do you think it's reasonable, fair and legal to ban cigarette smoking in any public place? Can you give me some examples of some places you feel a smoking ban is justified?

Been thinking about that for some time. My apartment won't allow pets either so it would be the only way I could ever get a kitty now. I miss my cats, all of them. My new doctor (something she did do right) is upset because I don't "hang out with people" and may actually force me to get a companion animal because of it. I just can't stand people in person ... really. They keep asking me too many questions as if somehow I am some guru or something and it annoys me to no end. So I seclude.

If you had to give up your cats to move to your new place, I really feel for you! I've never had to give up a pet yet but leases and laws make it really hard for renters with pets. Yet renters with human pets, (children) get lots of protections. I hope your doctor doesn't want to get you a companion human. :lol:

Solitude doesn't equal loneliness. People can be annoying, especially the ones who want to talk your ears off, so I sympathize with you. If you're happy on your own, all the power to you! If it's really a sign of something unhealthy, I hope your doctor does get you a certificate for a companion pet. In any case, it seems to me that no people around is better than annoying self absorbed people. Good friends don't grow on trees.

Well .. it's much more complicated than that. I lost my last place because they tore it down for condos (more idiots moving here from other states) and became homeless. I used that time living in the shelters to relearn al my computer knowledge and update it to include the newer systems (not much different just more switches to deal with) and get a place to live in. So I had no choice in the matter, but now all apartments in the city are no pets, even most of the condos have no pet clauses (which makes even less sense).

Well .. it's much more complicated than that. I lost my last place because they tore it down for condos (more idiots moving here from other states) and became homeless. I used that time living in the shelters to relearn al my computer knowledge and update it to include the newer systems (not much different just more switches to deal with) and get a place to live in. So I had no choice in the matter, but now all apartments in the city are no pets, even most of the condos have no pet clauses (which makes even less sense).
Condo conversions, "gentrifying" perfectly fine low income neighborhoods. :evil: Don't get me started...

So many pets being abandoned now due to foreclosures, evictions for profit, etc. :( I hope it works out for you that you can get another cat.

Actually, since my bar would be collecting all the former patrons of other bars that have been alienated by pink lunger policy I'm pretty sure you'd have to wait in line before being admitted. Fire Safety only allows so many patrons inside at one time, you know.

Then, after I make a killing providing smokers with a location that they actually WANT to drink at I'd go ahead and check on your frozen ass. IF you have not become an icicle then I'd let you in for an after hour cocktail providing that you wear the obligatory gas mask. If you froze to death.. well. I hear purged smokers can always use something to put their butts out on.

Good luck with that, Montezuma.

Condo conversions, "gentrifying" perfectly fine low income neighborhoods. :evil: Don't get me started...

So many pets being abandoned now due to foreclosures, evictions for profit, etc. :( I hope it works out for you that you can get another cat.

Thanks. As for the condos ... all but three of those in that building lay empty to, just like most of ours in downtown. They build these places after tearing down beautiful old buildings that had decent rent and yet they never sell them ... and we have a homeless problem to add to that. It's sad really. The building I live in now they rebuilt the inside leaving the outside in tact, also saving a ton of money. We have all new apartments (since 2004 that is) and they are as nice as any condo ever built. I would be willing to pay twice what I do pay for this place, so at least I got something good our of it. Oh, and they allow smoking to ... woot! Eventually I'll be able to get a cat, then I will stop smoking (cats calm my nerves better than nicotine).

9. The EPA, WHO, and many other organizations and individuals who have published data showing a link between STS and chronic conditions have knowingly manipulated data and ignored statistical best practice in order to arrive at a seemingly predetermined result. In view of this, and the fact that so much legislation is based on conclusions reached by such organizations, it is reasonable to feel that a full and honest debate has not taken place, the science is unproven, and the legislation is therefore unconstitutional.

There you have it. Fire away.

I don't agree for much the same kinds of reasons I don't think Bush ordered the planes to fly into the World Trade Center.

The tobacco industry has failed to prove their product is safe and the onus is on them to do so.

The tobacco industry shouldn't have to. It is a legal product. And I'm not sure I follow the Bush analogy. Are you saying conspiracy theorists have failed to prove Bush ordered planes to fly into the WTC so he is innocent until proven guilty, but tobacco hasn't proved STS is harmless so they are guilty until proven innocent? Since when was guilty until proven innocent the American way? Or is it only tobacco that deserves this royal treatment?

Tobacco and STS have been proven a serious and widespread health risk and public nuisance to my satisfaction.
Tobacco is a serious health risk. I've never argued that. That includes non combusted forms of tobacco since tobacco contains TSNAs (the only form that I believe may be relatively safe is snus). And I'm guessing the only reason that STS has been proven a serious health risk to your satisfaction is that you always trust what people in authority tell you (?)

Are you sure you you made up these questions yourself? They sound like stuff taken off one of those conspiracy sites.

I thought I'd already cleared that up. Yes, they are mine. No, I didn't copy them from somewhere else. And they are not questions. I'm not sure why you'd think I got them from a conspiracy site when you were able to agree with 7 of the 9. And they weren't questions - they were statements relating to the tobacco debate that I personally believe to be the case.

Did you watch the video that KK posted? Do those sound like conspiracy theorists?

Here's a question for you from me: Do you think it's reasonable, fair and legal to ban cigarette smoking in any public place? Can you give me some examples of some places you feel a smoking ban is justified?

Are you paraphrasing my belief #6 with this one, because I thought I'd covered that?

If you'd like me to expand however, I think it's reasonable, fair and legal to ban smoking in any public place if STS is shown to have all the adverse health affects that the anti tobacco lobby has ascribed to it. Until the time it is proved satisfactorily, I believe smoking bans are an affront.

That said I think restaurants and bars should be encouraged to decide whether they want to be a smoking venue or not. I believe offices should be smoke free.

Does that help (does that make my viewpoint clearer I should say - I don't expect you to agree :lol:).

Forum List

Back