"Smaller government" advocates

We have been down this road before. Low information lefties try to tell us that small government advocates want yada yada dirty water (and outlawing alcohol?) . The Founding Fathers spelled out the duty of the federal government in a single sentence "to provide for the common defense and promote the general welfare". Nobody ever thought back then that the federal government would become a gigantic unwieldy bureaucratic nightmare consisting of thousands of often competing small bureaucracies often with little or nothing to do but act as employment agencies. You have to be a complete idiot not to think the federal government needs to be cut down to a more efficient operation subject to the control of the people. Pot heads have a fantasy that enforcement of drug laws is too expensive and the Military is better equipped than it needs to be but it's just a pipe dream. The opposite is true.

"to provide for the common defense and promote the general welfare"..see..there's the problem..Many people feature themselves as junior lawyers ....always parsing and bandying words and playing semantics games..they think they're oh so clever...

they use "promote the general welfare" as their cover and then tie themselves up in knots trying to justify how their anti american agendas are good for the "general welfare".
you can't let them control the language and get you on the defensive.

Most of the people who advocate smaller government are the sort of people who support the US having a massive armed forces

Nope, I want to slash it by 1/3 to 1/2, close all permanent overseas based and make it defensive focused

* They're the sort of people who want the government to ban same sex marriage.

Technically true, but completely misleading. I want to end all government marriage, straight and gay

* They're the sort of people who want the govt to ban drugs like Marijuana, perhaps even alcohol.

Nope, all drugs should be legal

* In other words, they're people who want the government in YOUR face, just not in their face. They're happy for big government, just so long as it doesn't step on their patch. They're not gay, they're not into recreational drugs, they're not getting invaded by the US armed forces, so they just don't care and they're happy for big government in those areas.

I'm not gay or into recreational drugs either

* Also, I've been discussing government subsidies. Yes, we all know about welfare (for your information, before you jump on my back about it, I'm in favor of welfare based on how long you have worked, and before you've worked for 5 years you should get no welfare at all unless you're in education and doing well in your education at that, and then the longer you've worked, the more you can get, like after 10 years an increase in payments, if you need them) and the left giving money to people who really shouldn't be getting it, but this isn't what's been spoken about here, so lay off this topic.

Yes, you're for big government, you're clear on that

*Government subsidies to farmer and big corporations. Seem the right is all in favor of handing out money to rich people. Seems strange to talk about smaller govt one minute, then advocate govt giving out loads of money to businesses the next minute

Liberals love to talk about handouts, but you hate to define what it means. tax cuts when we are still paying way more than our share are not "handouts." Government allowing corporations to deduct their expenses are not "handouts." Define what you mean by this.

* Does anyone actually, really, truly, support smaller government?

Clearly a bunch of us on the site do

I said "most people", not "all people".

You said "nope" and then spoke about yourself. Clearly you are not enough to make it to the "most" part.

So, I could look at what you, as an individual think, but this isn't what most people think.

What I mean by govt giving money to corporations would be something like:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/12/01/us/government-incentives.html?_r=1&#TX

Texas, for example, gives $19 billion a year on "incentive programs" for businesses. That's $759 dollars on average per person.

$277 million goes to Amazon. Why the feck does Amazon need Texas to pay it that much money? Seriously, why?

Earmarks and "incentives" to businesses or individuals are pure armed robbery by government

I don't get people who say they want smaller government.

Mainly because I don't believe they want smaller government.

Most of the people who advocate smaller government are the sort of people who support the US having a massive armed forces. They're the sort of people who want the government to ban same sex marriage. They're the sort of people who want the govt to ban drugs like Marijuana, perhaps even alcohol.

In other words, they're people who want the government in YOUR face, just not in their face. They're happy for big government, just so long as it doesn't step on their patch. They're not gay, they're not into recreational drugs, they're not getting invaded by the US armed forces, so they just don't care and they're happy for big government in those areas.

Also, I've been discussing government subsidies. Yes, we all know about welfare (for your information, before you jump on my back about it, I'm in favor of welfare based on how long you have worked, and before you've worked for 5 years you should get no welfare at all unless you're in education and doing well in your education at that, and then the longer you've worked, the more you can get, like after 10 years an increase in payments, if you need them) and the left giving money to people who really shouldn't be getting it, but this isn't what's been spoken about here, so lay off this topic.
Government subsidies to farmer and big corporations. Seem the right is all in favor of handing out money to rich people. Seems strange to talk about smaller govt one minute, then advocate govt giving out loads of money to businesses the next minute.

Does anyone actually, really, truly, support smaller government?

1. I'm one of those who wants smaller government.
2. A large military doesn't mean a large government.
3. I don't want the government to ban same sex marriage, or pot, or guns.
4. I am for ending ALL subsidies and entitlements. THAT is a smaller government.
5. You tend to label all conservatives the same. Most social conservatives who want strict bans on what they call "immoral" things aren't the same people who demand smaller government. Open your eyes, stop listening to the Daily Show, and think.

Conservatives, libertarians, and most others on the right also have this ridiculous, inconsistent perception of what constitutes 'government.'

They bemoan the 'evils' of the Federal government, while at the same time take no issue with state and local governments seeking to deny citizens their rights, when in fact state and local governments exhibit the greater likelihood of indeed violating citizens' rights.

It was state and local governments who fought to retain segregation.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny citizens their right to counsel.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny interracial couples their right to marry.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny women their right to privacy.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny immigrants their right to due process.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny gay Americans their right to equal protection of the law.

It was state and local governments who fought to criminalize homosexuality in violation of the 14th Amendment.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny gay Americans their right to enter into marriage contracts.

And these are but a few examples of how state and local governments sought to violate the fundamental, inalienable rights and protected liberties of each American, where not only did conservatives, libertarians, and most others on the right fail to take issue with such violations, but actually supported and facilitated these and other violations of citizens' civil rights.

So much for 'small government' conservatives.

Dingle Berry

Identify one single post where Libertarians "took no issue with state and local governments seeking to deny citizens their rights"

Just so we are clear the ONLY rights that you have are:

1- to life and to defend the same

2- Liberty

3- Property

4- pursue happiness

About what I thought
Small Government means not helping the poor
So your theory is that without government the poor cannot be "helped"? how do you define "helping" the poor?
Do the distribution effects of inflation "help" the poor?
how about a regulatory regime that raises the cost of everything that they need, does that help them?
What about all the carnage and suffering wrought by government initiated wars, that making their lives any better?
How about public education systems which cannot even teach them the basics, is that assisting them in any way to becoming NOT POOR?
What about the welfare state which is designed to keep them at subsistence level and nothing more, that helping?

If government is so damn good at "helping" the poor, why are their any poor people left at all? shouldn't they all be at least self sufficient members of the middle class by now?

:popcorn:

Economically a large government makes no sense since it would have to consume quite a lot dollars in order to maintain itself over a long period of time. That is less money for the people it governs but since the employees of the government don't care about that then they will constantly grow the government.

Governments that are large have a large amount of employees to enforce the laws. A government with less employees would have a harder time enforcing its authority which would make it weaker. A weak government then would consider not only if should pass certain laws but whether it could even enforce such laws. That in itself would make it pass laws that are inline with what the people truly want. It is more democratic in the end.

I totally agree that the term less government is ambiguous. It is kind of like "change". What the hell do either of these terms mean?

I don't get people who say they want smaller government.

Mainly because I don't believe they want smaller government.

Most of the people who advocate smaller government are the sort of people who support the US having a massive armed forces. They're the sort of people who want the government to ban same sex marriage. They're the sort of people who want the govt to ban drugs like Marijuana, perhaps even alcohol.

In other words, they're people who want the government in YOUR face, just not in their face. They're happy for big government, just so long as it doesn't step on their patch. They're not gay, they're not into recreational drugs, they're not getting invaded by the US armed forces, so they just don't care and they're happy for big government in those areas.

Also, I've been discussing government subsidies. Yes, we all know about welfare (for your information, before you jump on my back about it, I'm in favor of welfare based on how long you have worked, and before you've worked for 5 years you should get no welfare at all unless you're in education and doing well in your education at that, and then the longer you've worked, the more you can get, like after 10 years an increase in payments, if you need them) and the left giving money to people who really shouldn't be getting it, but this isn't what's been spoken about here, so lay off this topic.
Government subsidies to farmer and big corporations. Seem the right is all in favor of handing out money to rich people. Seems strange to talk about smaller govt one minute, then advocate govt giving out loads of money to businesses the next minute.

Does anyone actually, really, truly, support smaller government?
It depends on what you mean by smaller government. Our general government is bigger than any Firm in the private sector by comparison.

I believe in simplifying government in order to lower our tax burden.

Small government lets industry dump anything they want into our air or water

Big government let's big government start endless wars, grow more govt, create massive social programs, rack up never ending debt etc.

About what I thought

Where have conservatives ever complained about big government meaning we have the largest military in world history?

The govts main duty is the protection of its citizens. First and foremost and no that doesn't mean never ending spending or wars. It's too bad that you can't be that honest on all of the worthless social programs that do nothing for the citizens.
That has never been the governments main duty

Social Programs do more for our citizens than the military does

About what I thought
So your theory is that without government the poor cannot be "helped"? how do you define "helping" the poor?
how about a regulatory regime that raises the cost of everything that they need, does that help them?
What about all the carnage and suffering wrought by government initiated wars, that making their lives any better?
How about public education systems which cannot even teach them the basics, is that assisting them in any way to becoming NOT POOR?
What about the welfare state which is designed to keep them at subsistence level and nothing more, that helping?

If government is so damn good at "helping" the poor, why are their any poor people left at all? shouldn't they all be at least self sufficient members of the middle class by now?

We spend trillions on the military yet still have wars. It never seems to end

Yet you seem to think the war on poverty can result in a victory where there are no more poor people. You want to place blame for the failure of the war on poverty?

Blame the job creators

Big government let's big government start endless wars, grow more govt, create massive social programs, rack up never ending debt etc.

About what I thought

Where have conservatives ever complained about big government meaning we have the largest military in world history?

The govts main duty is the protection of its citizens. First and foremost and no that doesn't mean never ending spending or wars. It's too bad that you can't be that honest on all of the worthless social programs that do nothing for the citizens.

Social engineering does more damage. We were fine without it for 170 years.

About what I thought

That used to be the government responsibility in 1787.

But the FDR administration found out that catering to the parasites would get you elected four times.

About what I thought

We spend trillions on the military yet still have wars. It never seems to end
No shit Sherlock, they can get away with that because of big government advocates LIKE YOU, congratulations your unwavering support for the expansion of government expense and power has resulted in exactly the thing you claim to be against, got any other negative unintended consequences you'd like to inflict on the rest of society?

Yet you seem to think the war on poverty can result in a victory where there are no more poor people.
Yeah what's your objective? Get half of 'em out of poverty and just fuck the rest of 'em? Or is it something more sinister, like for example; give 'em just enough help to survive but not so much that they might actually be able to support themselves?

You want to place blame for the failure of the war on poverty?

Blame the job creators
Wait you blame the failure of the governments "war on poverty" on people that manage to create jobs in spite of all the roadblocks that government places in their way? Exactly what alternate dimension do you exist in?
:wtf:

Don't think I didn't notice you can't answer a SINGLE question that I asked, I'd call you an artful dodger 'cept your artful still needs a lot of work.

big ol government .. lets whittle it down 72% like Ben Carson wants to do shall we?

To get there the military takes as big of a hit as medicare and social security..

About what I thought

Social engineering does more damage. We were fine without it for 170 years.

Social programs help Americans. The poor, elderly, disabled

The military, for the most part extend American power globally helping other nations more than ourselves

Forum List

Back