Union: Obama threw workers 'under the bus' in Keystone decision

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Another whining ass Union surprised that they are getting it up the butt by a democrat. What is wrong with them? The democrats have promised them so much yet given them so little, except legislation that actually takes away Union power. They supported Obamacare until they realized how it hurt their union. But I will just bet they don't blame Obama or cut a deal with him.

But with this, like with Clinton's "free" trade deals the Unions will do NOTHING but whine. I can't imagine what would have happened with Unions if all they did was whine at Homestead. Of course what the Union is saying is right, but what will they really do about it? Support Mrs. Clinton? Of course they will.

You want to know why the demise of Unions? This is why, they do it to themselves.

The main union for construction workers is accusing President Obama of throwing them “under the bus” by rejecting the Keystone XL oil pipeline.

Union: Obama threw workers 'under the bus' in Keystone decision

The Laborers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA) is one of the few labor unions that broke with the majority of Democrats and supported the project, which Obama rejected Friday after a seven-year review.

“We are dismayed and disgusted that the President has once again thrown the members of LIUNA, and other hard-working, blue-collar workers under the bus of his vaunted ‘legacy,’ while doing little or nothing to make a real difference in global climate change,” Terry O’Sullivan, the union’s general president, said in a statement. “His actions are shameful.”
The group’s statement cited a State Department report that Keystone could reduce greenhouse gas emissions when compared with oil transportation by rail.

“But facts apparently mean as little to the president as the construction jobs he repeatedly derided as insignificant because they are ‘temporary,’ ” O’Sullivan said. “Ironically, the very temporary nature of the president’s own job seems to be fueling a legacy of doing permanent harm to middle- and working class families.”

The "just temporary jobs" line is just so bizarre. Construction jobs by their very nature are temporary.

The "just temporary jobs" line is just so bizarre. Construction jobs by their very nature are temporary.

I agree. The jobs are temporary.

The ecological damage this pipeline could cause will last forever.

Now, that said, I think Obama was kind of chickenshit on this decision. He dragged it out for years, and only made it AFTER the Canadian company that wanted the pipeline withdrew it's proposal because there isn't that much demand for expensive to process Tar Sand Oil now that the cost of regular sweet crude is down to $44.00 a barrel.

There weren't going to be very many jobs.

And Reagan did the most to destroy unions.

Reagan did nothing to destroy the unions. NOTHING. The air traffic controllers walked out illegally and were replaced. Pure and simple. Granted they had reason to walk out but what they did was illegal.

BUT that situation is EXACTLY what I am talking about. What did the Unions do in response? Do you remember? NOTHING, they did absolutely NOTHING. Their support for the Air traffic controllers was nothing but lip service.

Reagan had nothing to do with the self destruction of Unions.

Now, remember back to the Clinton era and his "free" trade agreements. Remember how the Unions said they would punish anyone who voted for those agreements? Remember what they did after Clinton signed the deal sending thousands of US jobs out of the country? If you remember correctly they did NOTHING, except support Clinton in his reelection. One would think they would have formed a new workers party, but no they did NOTHING and then wonder why the demise of organized labor. Unions have put themselves in the position of being whiny little bitches that no one pays attention to. They did it to themselves and deserve what they are getting.

Tell that to the people who build pipelines.

America has built the equivalent of 10 Keystone pipelines since 2010 — and nobody said anything

America has built the equivalent of 10 Keystone pipelines since 2010 — and nobody said anything

In your opinion, why is Keystone different? My thoughts are that it is the product they are transporting. Most of the other pipe lines might be natural gas lines. I could be wrong, don't really know but I have seen many miles of gas pipelines being built in my neck of the woods. Now that I read the article it does seem that there has been many miles of OIL pipelines built. Interesting the opposition.

Last edited:
Now as far as the Keystone goes the stats are pretty remarkable for the number of people who have benefited from working with Trans Canada.

Now, that said, I think Obama was kind of chickenshit on this decision. He dragged it out for years, and only made it AFTER the Canadian company that wanted the pipeline withdrew it's proposal because there isn't that much demand for expensive to process Tar Sand Oil now that the cost of regular sweet crude is down to $44.00 a barrel.

Well it's truly a matter of picking your poison on how you want the crude to be shipped. I'm far more worried about transport trucks and rail cars and barges shipping the crude to market.

And make no mistake the crude is still coming.

"But the opposition has done little to stop the surge of Alberta crude flowing through the U.S. pipeline systems: Canadian crude oil exports to the U.S. soared to 3.4 million barrels per day in August – a new record."

fp1104-keystone_pipeline_web.jpeg

The main union for construction workers is accusing President Obama of throwing them “under the bus” by rejecting the Keystone XL oil pipeline.
Fuck 'em, you make deals with the corrupt pricks in Washington you're bound to get burned.

As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust

Here are the stats. Very impressive for just ....you know....temporary jobs.

"Construction of the 487-mile crude oil pipeline involved more than 11 million hours of labor completed by 4,844 workers in the United States of America, more than 50 contracts with manufacturers and companies building the pipeline and equipment from across the U.S. It also includes the addition of 2.25 million barrels of new oil storage capacity at Cushing, Oklahoma.

"The workers who helped build this project are in addition to 8,969 men and women who constructed the initial Keystone Pipeline system, and we are waiting for approval of Keystone XL so we can employ more than 9,000 more Americans who are waiting to put their skills and experience to work," added Girling."

Gulf Coast Project Begins Delivering Crude Oil to Nederland, Texas

"Construction of the 487-mile crude oil pipeline involved more than 11 million hours of labor completed by 4,844 workers in the United States of America, more than 50 contracts with manufacturers and companies building the pipeline and equipment from across the U.S. It also includes the addition of 2.25 million barrels of new oil storage capacity at Cushing, Oklahoma.

"The workers who helped build this project are in addition to 8,969 men and women who constructed the initial Keystone Pipeline system, and we are waiting for approval of Keystone XL so we can employ more than 9,000 more Americans who are waiting to put their skills and experience to work," added Girling."

If I read the article correct 1/2 the pipeline is already built? What is it with progressives that they wish to shut down progress?

And the damage from the train wrecks, or the barge spill that closed down the Mississippi River???

Really, you have your head so far up your ass with your partisan politics that you are starting to look like a fool...

But then, if you're a Democrat, you can't be too bright, anyway...
370c80aae4064e30b178cb3c61cf5bea.jpg

If I read the article correct 1/2 the pipeline is already built? What is it with progressives that they wish to shut down progress?

The Keystone itself is absolutely complete from Alberta to the Gulf. XL is just another extension that would pick up US domestic crude from the Bakkens.

This is just insanely political. Here's a map that will show you the completed projects.

220px-Keystone-pipeline-route.png

Reagan did nothing to destroy the unions. NOTHING. The air traffic controllers walked out illegally and were replaced. Pure and simple. Granted they had reason to walk out but what they did was illegal.

BUT that situation is EXACTLY what I am talking about. What did the Unions do in response? Do you remember? NOTHING, they did absolutely NOTHING. Their support for the Air traffic controllers was nothing but lip service.

Reagan had nothing to do with the self destruction of Unions.

Now, remember back to the Clinton era and his "free" trade agreements. Remember how the Unions said they would punish anyone who voted for those agreements? Remember what they did after Clinton signed the deal sending thousands of US jobs out of the country? If you remember correctly they did NOTHING, except support Clinton in his reelection. One would think they would have formed a new workers party, but no they did NOTHING and then wonder why the demise of organized labor. Unions have put themselves in the position of being whiny little bitches that no one pays attention to. They did it to themselves and deserve what they are getting.

The ecological studies showed that the alaska pipeline would be devastating. Instead, the opposite happened. Wildlife and ecological systems have flourished since it was built.

What about the union jobs in transport ? Wouldn't the pipeline destroy those jobs?

What about the union jobs in transport ? Wouldn't the pipeline destroy those jobs?

I thought about that too. It would seem that Buffet and the railroads would take a big hit...... Maybe that is a reason? Messing with Buffet's profits?

Forum List

Back