Sky pilots

mrsx said:
http://www.au.org/pdf/050428AirForceReport.pdf
links to a report about illegal religious proseltizing at the Air Force Academy. Shows what happens when we let the nose of that born-again camel into the tent. Very sad and troubling.
Apparently the secularists feel that the Air Force is the best place to attack the military for having morals. I guess I might be offended if I worked or attended school there.

dilloduck said:
Apparently the secularists feel that the Air Force is the best place to attack the military for having morals. I guess I might be offended if I worked or attended school there.
Having morals? The issue is one of illegal activity.

In mrsx defense, it would be uncomfortable to say the least to have a Professor tell you that everybody in the class should be a Christian by the end of the year.

no1tovote4 said:
In mrsx defense, it would be uncomfortable to say the least to have a Professor tell you that everybody in the class should be a Christian by the end of the year.
WARNING coming to the defense of mrsx may cause you to be cast into the outer darkness along with Unitarians, Democrats and them what has read a book!

mrsx said:
WARNING coming to the defense of mrsx may cause you to be cast into the outer darkness along with Unitarians, Democrats and them what has read a book!

No shi*! However, no1 has credits to burn. :bye1:

mrsx said:
links to a report about illegal religious proseltizing at the Air Force Academy. Shows what happens when we let the nose of that born-again camel into the tent. Very sad and troubling.

I don't see anything wrong here. It's no different than the Jehova Witnesses knocking on your door wanting to talk with you about God. Their intentions are the same. "Proselytizing". As a matter of fact, the Bible commands Christians to go forth and spread the word of God, and that's why the Jehovas do it.

If you're warming up to be another liberal shit bag Christian basher, try harder. This was lame.

Pale Rider said:
I don't see anything wrong here. It's no different than the Jehova Witnesses knocking on your door wanting to talk with you about God. Their intentions are the same. "Proselytizing". As a matter of fact, the Bible commands Christians to go force and spread the word of God, and that's why the Jehovas do it.

If you're warming up to be another liberal shit bag Christian basher, try harder. This was lame.

I gotta disagree PR. There is a huge difference in that if a JW knocks on your door and you don't want to listen to what they have to say, you can simply close the door in their face. At the academy, there are allegations of coercion and reprisal aimed at those who would close the door if they had a choice. It sounds widespread enough to be considered institutionally sanctioned. I know you have no problem with what is going on because they happen to be slinging what you believe in, but imagine your dismay if the majority of the staff were Muslim and they were employing these tactics to spread Islam instead of Christianity.

BTW, your use of the word force instead of forth is a highly enlightening Freudian slip.

I for one do not have all the facts...I will defer judgement...however this does smack of the "Tail Hook" controversy the media forced down our throats...As for the Captain... former Missle Officer turned pastor...who seems to be the front person in this attack...well she seems to be more concerned about her transfer from a cushy job more than the charges she put forward...just food for thought! :huh: :blah2:

archangel said:
I for one do not have all the facts...I will defer judgement...however this does smack of the "Tail Hook" controversy the media forced down our throats...As for the Captain... former Missle Officer turned pastor...who seems to be the front person in this attack...well she seems to be more concerned about her transfer from a cushy job more than the charges she put forward...just food for thought! :huh: :blah2:
I'm not sure I see the similarity to Tail Hook - wasn't that some off-duty, off-base party where allegations of sexual misconduct were made? This is (apparently) on-base, on-duty violation of policy by officers in the chain of command. I, like you, will defer judgement until more facts are available. Based on this report, an impartial investigation seems in order. Wouldn't you agree?

mrsx said:
I'm not sure I see the similarity to Tail Hook - wasn't that some off-duty, off-base party where allegations of sexual misconduct were made? This is (apparently) on-base, on-duty violation of policy by officers in the chain of command. I, like you, will defer judgement until more facts are available. Based on this report, an impartial investigation seems in order. Wouldn't you agree?

Last time I checked they were doing a investigation...also off base or on base...what is the difference?The end result is the same!

mrsx said:

So you're upset because military officers and upperclass cadets talked about religion to subordinates? Give me a break. Having lived in a very similar environment (West Point), I see little in this report that would constitute a violation of anyone's rights to believe how they wish.

That said, I disagree with the policy that Jewish/SDA cadets are not allowed to leave post for religious services. That would seem to encroach on the right to worship as ones pleases.

archangel said:
Last time I checked they were doing a investigation...also off base or on base...what is the difference?The end result is the same!
I'm not sure I agree that the result is the same. The kind of activities detailed in the report have a coercive effect that purely private activities would not - at least among cadets; the activities of the officers would still be coercive, although possibly less so, outside of the formal curriculum.

gop_jeff said:
So you're upset because military officers and upperclass cadets talked about religion to subordinates? Give me a break. Having lived in a very similar environment (West Point), I see little in this report that would constitute a violation of anyone's rights to believe how they wish.

That said, I disagree with the policy that Jewish/SDA cadets are not allowed to leave post for religious services. That would seem to encroach on the right to worship as ones pleases.

And being tossed in a "heathen" flight for refusing to attend chapel doesn't?

MissileMan said:
And being tossed in a "heathen" flight for refusing to attend chapel doesn't?

In cadet basic training, we were all highly encouraged to go to religious services on Sundays. Those who didn't go got to do extra duty, because there was no training scheduled for that time period. It was a great motivation for all to go to chapel!

gop_jeff said:
In cadet basic training, we were all highly encouraged to go to religious services on Sundays. Those who didn't go got to do extra duty, because there was no training scheduled for that time period. It was a great motivation for all to go to chapel!
I'll bet it was! Are you suggesting that coerced religious practice should be legal?

MissileMan said:
BTW, your use of the word force instead of forth is a highly enlightening Freudian slip.

Aha... you caught that. I fixed it as I reread what I had written, and then came down to your post... busted.

mrsx said:
I'll bet it was! Are you suggesting that coerced religious practice should be legal?

Hell when I went through Air Force Basic Training in 1979, we HAD to go to Sunday services. We had NO CHOICE!

You got a problem with that?

Forum List

Back