Singers vs Musicians.

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
I've never had much respect for people who only sing. Especially these days. Singers are a dime-a-dozen. One singer sounds like another.

And the shows now like The Voice and American Idol. I'm much less than impressed. IMO, singing takes very little in the way of talent. It might take dedication, but talent? No. Unless your definition of talent is simply "ability". I, do not have the ability. No amount of singing lessons or effort can make this voice sound appealing. My vocal range is very narrow. You are eithr born with the ability to sing, or you aren't.

Not so with musicians. No one is born knowing how to play a guitar, or a piano, or a violin. Learning to play an instrument takes almost a lifetime of dedication and sacrifice. I would watch a show like American Idol, if it featured musicians battling it out for the top prize. Singers bore me to tears.

The problem with the music today is that people are paying more attention to the singers, and not caring about the musicians. Today's music will continue to suck ass until that trend reverses itself.

[ame=http://youtu.be/VUq4CadWL4M]Michael Jackson - Thriller (A Cappella) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/2mzdjpe757I]Michael Jackson - Human Nature (A Cappella) - YouTube[/ame] :cool:

The voice is a natural instrument.

And it pre-dates all other human musical instruments.

Fine. No argument. But I have no respect for singers, it's something they are lucky enough to be born with. Now, learning to play an instrument, THAT is talent worthy of respect.

Born?

It takes a very long time to develop into a good singer. And lots of practice.

Fine. No argument. But I have no respect for singers, it's something they are lucky enough to be born with. Now, learning to play an instrument, THAT is talent worthy of respect.

Born?

I did say that it takes dedication, but yes, singers are born. There are people like me who cannot sing and no amount of dedication or training will correct that. My youngest daughter has a voice like an angel. The only practice she gets is singing in the shower. She got it from her mother. No one is born with the ability to play the drums, ot the sax, or the flute. THAT takes talent, dedication and practice.

I can't respect a "talent' that was given to you.

I can't agree with that.

Learning to control one's voice can be as daunting as learning the arpeggio at the beginning of "Hot for Teacher." (Which I can reproduce note perfect on my Esprit.)

robbenford-9.jpg

Born?

I did say that it takes dedication, but yes, singers are born. There are people like me who cannot sing and no amount of dedication or training will correct that. My youngest daughter has a voice like an angel. The only practice she gets is singing in the shower. She got it from her mother. No one is born with the ability to play the drums, ot the sax, or the flute. THAT takes talent, dedication and practice.

I can't respect a "talent' that was given to you.[/QUOTE]

I disagree again.

While I am good verging on great with Guitar, I was not born with the natural rhythm needed to be a top notch drummer.

I can't agree with that.

Learning to control one's voice can be as daunting as learning the arpeggio at the beginning of "Hot for Teacher." (Which I can reproduce note perfect on my Esprit.)

robbenford-9.jpg

Yes, there are several different types here:

1. Someone who cannot sing at all.
2. Someone who's voice isn't trained and can be trained with practice and coaching
3. Someone who can sing well without training.

The drummer's part in Hot For Teacher is some of the best I've ever heard. No singer will ever inspire in me the admiration I have for Alex VanHalen's talent.

Last edited:
Born?

I can't respect a "talent' that was given to you.

I disagree again.

While I am good verging on great with Guitar, I was not born with the natural rhythm needed to be a top notch drummer.

Rhythm can come with practice, no one is born with it.

Last edited:

On guitar, timing, speed, and tone can make up for the lack of precise rhythm, (besides, that's what the bass is for :) ) but with drums? You'll never be able to get really good if you don't have that natural talent.

Pretty much the same with any instrument or voice. Some are born with proclivities that make learning those talents, great and some gain their learning through practice.

I inherited my Dad's singing voice. He went to any university of his choice on scholarships for both voice and football...lol. Before he was classically trained in voice, he had his own radio show on campus sponsored by local businesses. He sang on his show then developed his classical style, with training.

My Mother never took a lesson in piano, but played expertly and beautifully, with both hands, by ear, so they say, as did her Mother.

If it's in the genes, you have an advantage, with any instrument or vocal capacities. It also helps to love what you are doing. :)

My most favorite singer James Otto is not only a singer, but a song writer which is where I think that the real talent is, a guitar player, and a producer. :) :) :)

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Born?

yea and just think before Mozart came along they used to castrate young boys to sing the Female parts in the early Operas....

On guitar, timing, speed, and tone can make up for the lack of precise rhythm, (besides, that's what the bass is for :) ) but with drums? You'll never be able to get really good if you don't have that natural talent.

It is true that the drummer is the one who keeps everyone else in time, but one can learn rythum, it take practice like anything else. I however, will never be able to sing no matter how much I try. You are born with a voice, or you aren't.

Forum List

Back