Dancing is ridiculous?

^^^ I honestly can't answer that because I've never watched that man sing/perform before. To me, Mark is awesome. Out of the five videos of him that I shared, I can't pick which one I think is best because they all have great coverage of him. :) :) :)

God bless you and him and Mr. Jagger always!!!

Holly

Here are a few more clips that I think are worth sharing concerning Mark Miller of the Sawyer Brown band. This first one is where is all began for the act in 1983 during the very first season of the Star Search show. In other words, the "problem" goes back that far. :D :D :D

These next two clips are a couple of their award show performances.

God bless you and each member always!!!

Holly

Is mick jagger a good dancer or just entertaining on stage? I think they get a pass because they’re singing. At least they aren’t just standing in one place like most singers and their bands.
The Mick Jagger / David Bowie version of "Dancing In The Streets" gave us a cringey music video of them dancing and prancing around.
At least with them it wasn't music career "killer" like it was for Billy Squire.

The Mick Jagger / David Bowie version of "Dancing In The Streets" gave us a cringey music video of them dancing and prancing around.
At least with them it wasn't music career "killer" like it was for Billy Squire.
It should have been. I thought about that video yesterday when we were talking about this. They are lucky. Perhaps they were talented enough to overcome it. Billy Squire was already on his way out because Big Hair bands were going out and pop was becoming, well, popular. And so he tried to go pop, only it was an epic fail. His career came to a screeching halt. I can't believe people who loved him before stopped loving him all because of one video. I can see why it knocked him off the charts and why the record companies may have dumped him afterward but what about now? Does he still tour and sing his best hits? Even this song that ruined him is good. It's just the dancing that's bad.

Squier largely stopped recording music after the commercial failure of the 1993 album Tell the Truth, but has continued to perform smaller tours, one-off concerts, and occasional collaborations.

So cool. You can still see him in concert today.

Think of anyone you work with or one of your neighbors. Now think of one of them dancing. Silly right? Especially at weddings. Awkward.

I get a profession of musicians who sing and play instruments who can also dance don’t get me wrong. But what about the backup dancers for people like Justin Timberlake? There’s an entire industry of people who just dance for a living. Not sing, not play a guitar. Just dance. God bless. I love a world where artists can make money. But it’s just silly right?

If you were to give me your best dance what would it be? I’d Chris Brown it.

/Thread.

I like it, but he reminds me of my brother doing his stupid dance steps I was talking about earlier. I asked my brother about his dance step yesterday he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said, "it was cool" I said yea i know but did you do that the entire song? He said no he mixed it up.

Point is, he wasn't doing it because the song inspired him. He had to learn that stupid dance step so he had something to do out on the dance floor. Something that would make him look cool. No it's not natural as someone else said. If it is, then you are good and we want to see you dance.

I think the girls appreciate a guy who's at least trying. And you know what they say about making women laugh.

Great OP. Different attitudes, times, dance styles. Practically no politics!

I’m sitting here on my balcony in my huge medical fracture boot. Was listening to old “American Songbook” crooners. The discussion made me laugh, and most of the videos too.

I remember as a square kid agreeing with my mom’s best friend that Elvis’ moves were “disgusting.” I grew out of that eventually … but always thought rock and roll individual “dancing” was kinda dumb. My mom taught me a little cha cha, and in 5th & 6th grade some girls invited us boys to their house to learn Lindy to “American Bandstand.” We were terrible, but tried. Rock and Roll killed old-fashioned partner dancing.

It wasn’t til partner dancing returned with the liberating (and multi-cultural) disco-hustle that my interest was piqued, because I went to some of the authentic NY clubs where it developed — not the posh clubs where it died.

But it wasn’t until I was over 40 that a woman dragged my ass out of the bar scene and invited me to a free traditional dance lesson that I got hooked. I really was reborn as a social dancer. Soon I was going after work every night for lessons and on weekends to every kind of dance party. In those days NYC had some really economical dance schools with great social dancers. Later I taught dance and formed a social dance club. That was when I lived in Beijing, and we had Chinese and Westerners mixing together to enjoy American-style dancing, from Latin to Foxtrot to most everything.

It does take a lot of time and effort to learn social dance, especially for the guys who are expected to “lead.” It is pretty much a dying social art, with video game dancing having replaced the great old “Big Band” era. Of course there are a few ethnic exceptions, like Latin dancing, that still hold on, and occasional upsurges like Argentine Tango which spread rapidly a decade ago in a few big cities.

In the final analysis it doesn’t much matter if it’s social dancing, folk dancing, free-style, or whatever. They all provide different but similar pleasures. When you dance — if you have the energy and the music moves you — it’s great. Even if you are not a “born dancer.” Even if you look kinda silly. :)

Last edited:
Great OP. Different attitudes, times, dance styles. Practically no politics!

I’m sitting here on my balcony in my huge medical fracture boot. Was listening to old “American Songbook” crooners. The discussion made me laugh, and most of the videos too.

I remember as a square kid agreeing with my mom’s best friend that Elvis’ moves were “disgusting.” I grew out of that eventually … but always thought rock and roll individual “dancing” was kinda dumb. My mom taught me a little cha cha, and in 5th & 6th grade some girls invited us boys to their house to learn Lindy to “American Bandstand.” We were terrible, but tried. Rock and Roll killed old-fashioned partner dancing.

It wasn’t til partner dancing returned with the liberating (and multi-cultural) disco-hustle that my interest was piqued, because I went to some of the authentic NY clubs where it developed — not the posh clubs where it died.

But it wasn’t until I was over 40 that a woman dragged my ass out of the bar scene and invited me to a free traditional dance lesson that I got hooked. I really was reborn as a social dancer. Soon I was going after work every night for lessons and on weekends to every kind of dance party. In those days NYC had some really economical dance schools with great social dancers. Later I taught dance and formed a social dance club — when I lived in Beijing where Chinese and Westerners mixed together to enjoy American-style dancing.

But it does take time and effort to learn social dance, especially for a guy who needs to “lead,” and it is pretty much a dying social art, with video game dancing and modern individualism having replaced the old great Big Band era — except with a few ethnic exceptions, and occasional upsurges like Argentine Tango in a few big cities.

In the final analysis it doesn’t much matter if it’s social dancing, folk dancing, free-style, or whatever. They all provide different but similar pleasures. When you dance — if you have the energy and the music moves you — it’s great. Even if you are not a “born dancer.” Even if you look kinda silly. :)

I remember when break dancing came out. I couldn't do it. Some friends with two left feet took the classes so they could do a few moves, but they couldn't dance like the break dancers on tv.

You must love dancing with the stars. They do all those couple dances you love.

I love to dance. I hear a song I want to dance to, I go out on the dance floor and start grooving, maybe I even look like I know what I'm doing they way I start off, but eventually I got nothing. To give any more than about 1 minutes worth and I've crossed over into looking silly.

Now you got me thinking about modern day dance compared to couples dancing in the past. I wish it were couple dancing like the past. Then you go ask a girl to dance and you hold her hand, actually dance with her. Today you just both go dance and can't hear each other and some other guy comes up and tries to swoop in on her.

1704735069804.png

I remember I loved dancing to Hip Hop Hurray. Easiest song to dance to

You must love dancing with the stars. They do all those couple dances you love.
Actually I don’t like it at all. It’s strange. I never liked “competitive” dancing. The “judging” and the fact that Dancing with the Stars is all a “performance” (by pros and actors who are usually good dancers already) is — to me at least — a big turnoff. I think it may actually discourage real social dancing.

Today I mostly recommend people who want to learn to dance start off with line dancing or even folk dancing, then if they find it fun try a simple salsa class or something else that appeals to them.

Of course some people really can’t find the beat at all. My younger brother, a great swimmer and better athlete than I ever was, had that problem. Maybe a psychological block or something. He could hardly clap out, let alone move to, a simple merengue.

Last edited:
More on … “Dancing is ridiculous?”

The same could be said about SEX. I think it was supposedly Lord Chesterfield who put this view most succinctly:

“The Pleasure Is Momentary, the Position Is Ridiculous, the Expense Is Damnable”​

:cool:

Last edited:
Actually I don’t like it at all. It’s strange. I never liked “competitive” dancing. The “judging” and the fact that Dancing with the Stars is all a “performance” (by pros and actors who are usually good dancers already) is — to me at least — a big turnoff. I think it may actually discourage real social dancing.

Today I mostly recommend people who want to learn to dance start off with line dancing or even folk dancing, then if they find it fun try a simple salsa class or something else that appeals to them.

Of course some people really can’t find the beat at all. My younger brother, a great swimmer and better athlete than I ever was, had that problem. Maybe a psychological block or something. He could hardly clap out, let alone move to, a simple merengue.
I can't dance but I can play guitar and sing at the same time. Most people have trouble doing just one of those things. I can do both at the same time. How? That's how I learned. Singing along while strumming chords. Most people learned just playing the guitar. Stupid move. Then you have to go back and re train yourself. I'm also a good athlete. Could it be jocks can't dance? That can't be

Emmitt Smith, Hines Ward, Donald Driver, Rashad Jennings, Iman Shumpert I think all won Dancing with the stars. All black men. Shumpert basketball and the others were Football players. I'm not black so maybe that's the difference between those athletes and me and your brother. LOL.

I can't dance but I can play guitar and sing at the same time. Most people have trouble doing just one of those things. I can do both at the same time. How? That's how I learned. Singing along while strumming chords. Most people learned just playing the guitar. Stupid move. Then you have to go back and re train yourself. I'm also a good athlete. Could it be jocks can't dance? That can't be

Emmitt Smith, Hines Ward, Donald Driver, Rashad Jennings, Iman Shumpert I think all won Dancing with the stars. All black men. Shumpert basketball and the others were Football players. I'm not black so maybe that's the difference between those athletes and me and your brother. LOL.
Cool. When I was in 4th grade I loved to sing in our school assembly auditorium, when maybe 400 kids were doing our weekly version of the “Star Spangled Banner,” or maybe it was “When you walk through a storm …”

Anyway, I sang so loud and terribly the music teacher had to ask me to sing less loud so as not to ruin it for everyone else! Thankfully she told me privately … :)

Cool. When I was in 4th grade I loved to sing in our school assembly auditorium, when maybe 400 kids were doing our weekly version of the “Star Spangled Banner,” or maybe it was “When you walk through a storm …”

Anyway, I sang so loud and terribly the music teacher had to ask me to sing less loud so as not to ruin it for everyone else! Thankfully she told me privately … :)
I wrestled. When we were setting up the gym for a home match against another school they would always break out the gym mic and ask me to sing Stevy Wonder My Cherie Amore. How did I know that? Eddie Murphy SNL. LOL. These guys heard me and asked if I wanted to be in their Led Zepplin band. I said let me think about it and went home and listened to Led Zepplin and told them no thanks. I can't sing like that. Maybe Harry Connick Jr It Had To Be You but not Led Zepplin. I wish.

I like it, but he reminds me of my brother doing his stupid dance steps I was talking about earlier. I asked my brother about his dance step yesterday he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said, "it was cool" I said yea i know but did you do that the entire song? He said no he mixed it up.

Point is, he wasn't doing it because the song inspired him. He had to learn that stupid dance step so he had something to do out on the dance floor. Something that would make him look cool. No it's not natural as someone else said. If it is, then you are good and we want to see you dance.

I think the girls appreciate a guy who's at least trying. And you know what they say about making women laugh.

How about this?

Forum List

Back