Singers vs Musicians.

Talent and skill at singing are only one part of what many great artists do. So, for someone like Dylan, it wasn't about his singing ability so much as his songwriting and lyrics IMO. Contrast that with a Whitney Houston, who I think was a great singer, but I don't know if she ever wrote any of her own music or lyrics. I'm not trying to denigrate Dylan as a performer or artist. :) He just didn't have the best singing voice.

Ah I see your angle. You are judging on classical voices.

I love the fringe. When the voice grabs my soul. When I'm walking by my radio the other day and I hear Cinnamon Girl and my heart starts to flutter, or Brown Eyed Girl. Or when I heard Yes for the first time.

So we are discussing great voices, just from two different angles.

Talent and skill at singing are only one part of what many great artists do. So, for someone like Dylan, it wasn't about his singing ability so much as his songwriting and lyrics IMO. Contrast that with a Whitney Houston, who I think was a great singer, but I don't know if she ever wrote any of her own music or lyrics. I'm not trying to denigrate Dylan as a performer or artist. :) He just didn't have the best singing voice.

I love the fringe. When the voice grabs my soul. When I'm walking by my radio the other day and I hear Cinnamon Girl and my heart starts to flutter, or Brown Eyed Girl. Or when I heard Yes for the first time.

I watch my wife watching American Idol sometimes, and I can't help but laugh. Some of my Favorite artists who sing would not make it past the first Audition with those fools.

Can you imagine, say Dave Ghrol, or Jack White, or the guy from Kings of Leon standing in front of those judges singing? They would likely tell them all they don't have the voice for it.

I watch my wife watching American Idol sometimes, and I can't help but laugh. Some of my Favorite artists who sing would not make it past the first Audition with those fools.

Can you imagine, say Dave Ghrol, or Jack White, or the guy from Kings of Leon standing in front of those judges singing? They would likely tell them all they don't have the voice for it.

They probably don't!

Doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy their music. Luckily there is a lot more to it than pure clean singing ability. :) I almost never listen to singers that would have a chance at one of those types of shows, either. The best singer in the world singing bad music....is still bad music. :tongue:

Exactly. Can you imagine Simon Cowell's face with Leonard Cohen before him. :eusa_shhh:

Or Neil Young.Or Dylan. Or Janis. Or Gracie.

I got testy earlier in the thread; and I shouldn't have been so. Because this thread actually made me realize I hear things so differently.

:eusa_angel:

The only two I ever rooted for were Constantine and Beau, but I adored Taylor because he stuck in Simon's craw.

I thought Cowell was going to go into full metal jacket meltdown when Taylor won over his Kathy.

:lmao:

Last edited:

Exactly. Can you imagine Simon Cowell's face with Leonard Cohen before him. :eusa_shhh:

I got testy earlier in the thread; and I shouldn't have been so. Because this thread actually made me realize I hear things so differently.

The only two I ever rooted for were Constantine and Beau, but I adored Taylor because he stuck in Simon's craw.

I thought Cowell was going to go into full metal jacket meltdown when Taylor won over his Kathy.

Scarey, Constantine and Bo were the only two I ever pulled for....oh and Doherty, Of course those are the only seasons I watched, I believe.

Scarey, Constantine and Bo were the only two I ever pulled for....oh and Doherty, Of course those are the only seasons I watched, I believe.

Holy toledo. It's end times. Army Cowboy and I agree on something.:eusa_angel:

And I thought Doherty had it all. When he did Johnny Cash I screamed in my living room.

I can say I never got to excited about any of them till Phillip Phillips last year. That kid has some talent.

My most favorite singer James Otto is not only a singer, but a song writer which is where I think that the real talent is, a guitar player, and a producer. :) :) :)

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I can agree with that. Those people who can sing and play? Worth admiration, imo.

Damn right, not that I have a good voice, but if I did I still would not be able to play and sing at the same time. Just totally messes with my timing.

How about playing two totally different piano parts at the same time, AND singing? Or playing the piano while playing a different part on a harmonica? Seen a guy that did both. :D

Just as it takes years of hard work and dedication to play on an NFL or MLB field or to sing on a stage.

I don't believe that is true for the singer. I believe that with about 1 year of professional training, my 14 year old daughter could compete as a singer. Her voice now, without one second of training is superb naturally.

I spent three years singing in a bar band, back in the day. You're absolutely wrong.

No, she's right. No amount of training could make me a good singer...been there and done that; while i love music I have ZERO talent. My wife had no training at all at all before high school...and was good enough to get the lead role in the drama club's musical! She sang La Isla Bonita at a talent show a few years ago and several people thought she was lip-syncing to Madonna's vocals. (She wasn't...though had I not heard her practicing, I'd have thought so, too.)

Even Meat Loaf had little to no formal training...his song Rock And Roll Hero is autobiographical in this case: I sold my soul to rock & roll/Didn't cost a thing/With stacks of scratched old 45's/I taught myself how to sing.

Dylan sucked. There, I said it. He was a lousy singer and a shitty songwriter. His lyrics were only deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! if you were as stoned as he was!

And Janis Joplin sang like a cat being tortured.

Last edited:
A true musician and singer/songwriter:

[ame=http://youtu.be/8x0HCqVEQT8]Johnny Cash - Redemption Day - YouTube[/ame]

original songwriter-Sheryl Crow...yet, he channeled this as if it were truly meant for him to sing..

the same for "Hurt" which was originally written by Trent Reznor- NIN:

[ame=http://youtu.be/3aF9AJm0RFc]Johnny Cash - Hurt - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPEd8m79Hw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPEd8m79Hw[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back