Since the H2O molecule is too small to cause an immune response on IgE antibodies,why are there people claiming they have an internal allergy to H2O?

Cla234

Sep 15, 2022
Tessa Hansen Smith is an Instagram celebrity who has gotten into the news, who claims she's been diagnosed with aquagenic urticaria and because of it, she is internally allergic to water, as well as externally. She cannot drink water because it causes an internal allergic reaction. She says she has to drink milk instead, which is not as bad. She explains this is because the fats and proteins surround the water molecules, allowing them to sneak past her immune system. She also cannot tolerate intravenous saline for hydration either, because her blood cells are also allergic to water molecules.

Since the water molecule is too small to cause an immune response since they are not big enough to trigger IgE antibodies (according to immunology books I've read, allergens have to be on the order of ten thousand daltons as a minimum, to cause an immune response - and water is only eighteen daltons), why are there several people claiming to both have aquagenic urticaria and also an internal allergy to water molecules?

She says she has to drink milk instead, which is not as bad.

Milk is 87% water. All foods contain some water. Most people get at least 20% of their daily water intake just from food.

Milk is 87% water. All foods contain some water. Most people get at least 20% of their daily water intake just from food.
Tessa says her mouth and throat is constantly sore and swollen from eating fruit and vegetables - which contain some water.

Since saliva is 99.5% water, I wonder why she doesn't have an internal allergic reaction every time she swallows her saliva? 🤔

Tessa says her mouth and throat is constantly sore and swollen from eating fruit and vegetables - which contain some water.

Since saliva is 99.5% water, I wonder why she doesn't have an internal allergic reaction every time she swallows her saliva? 🤔
Maybe she is a space alien.

Forum List

Back