Since 1999 the chance a public school student being killed by a gun in school is 1 in 614,000,000

States with stricter firearm laws have lower rates of firearm-related deaths in children, according to cross-sectional analyses to be presented during the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) 2018 annual meeting. The Children’s-led research team also found that states with laws that mandated universal background checks prior to firearm and ammunition purchase were associated with lower rates of firearm-related mortality in children, compared with states that lacked these laws.

Stricter state firearms laws associated with fewer kids killed by guns - ScienceBlog.com

States with stricter firearm laws have lower rates of firearm-related deaths in children, according to cross-sectional analyses to be presented during the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) 2018 annual meeting.
Those states also have much lower rates of.......liberty.

Dear healthmyths
Do you have any stats that show the percentage of increase
in the incidents over shorter and shorter periods of time?
How about the influence of copycat shootings, or the amount
of publicity causing others to replicate similar stunts?

What gets me healthmyths is the same cure
for mental illness that spiritual healing provides,
can prevent not only school shootings but the causes
of most of the other types and incidents of crimes.

Instead of comparing one type or case to another to compete for which deserves
more attention, why not focus on common solutions to prevent
ANY and ALL of these deadly crimes and attacks?

If you want to end the already rare school shootings, get rid of democrat gun free zones.....

I almost feel like a broken record repeating it, but when was the last time there was a serial attack/killing at a:

1). Police Barrack?
2). Gun show?
3). NRA convention?

Or any other event when many/most people were known / expected to be carrying guns?

If you want to end serial mass killings, quit giving them easy targets.

In TX all those police officers were victims of a mass shooting.

When was the last attack/killing at an nfl game?

Yes, dumb ass, the black lives matter shooter wanted to kill police officers..... that is hard to do at a time when police officers on duty are not carrying guns......you are such a doofus.....

There is not an attack at an NFL game because they flood the area with cops who have guns....dumb ass......

Our schools...do they have people with guns there? No. They are democrat gun free zones, so, dumb ass, mass shooters have picked them to attack, because they are democrat gun free zones, which means, dumb ass, that no one there has a gun......

See how this works out.....?

When was the last school shooting in the UK?

They almost had 3 in the last few years....dumb luck saved them...

Teenage boys planned to 'kill everyone' at Yorkshire school in Columbine-style gun and bomb massacre, court hears

Two teenage boys planned to “kill everyone” at their Yorkshireschool in a Columbine-style massacre using bombs and guns, a court has heard.

---------------------------

The document said the boy would “lay low” in Catterick before murdering his ex-girlfriend’s parents and stealing her father’s guns, the court heard.

“I’ll make some explosives then well find a way back to Northallerton and well begin our assault on that f****** school,” it continued

----

"This was no teenage fantasy; it was real,” he added. “They intended a re-enactment of the Columbine High School Massacre although fortunately, in the result, they were stopped before their plans were put into action.”

British teen sentenced to life for planned school attack

Despite some of the tightest gun control on the planet, a British man was able to acquire a handgun, extended mags and explosives as part of a plot to attack his former school.

Liam Lyburd, 19, of Newcastle upon Tyne, was sentenced to life imprisonment this week on eight charges of possessing weapons with intent to endanger life.

As noted by the BBC, Lyburd gathered a cache that included a Glock 19, three 33-round magazines, 94 hollow-point bullets, CS gas, five pipe bombs and two other improvised explosive devices despite the country’s long history of civilian arms control.

According to court documents, Lyburd planned to use the weapons in an attack on Newcastle College, from which he had been expelled two years prior for poor attendance. He was arrested last November after two Northumbria Police constables visited him at his home on a tip from an individual who encountered threats and disturbing pictures posted by Lyburd online.

Despite a defense that portrayed the reclusive man as living in a fantasy world, Lyburd was found guilty in July.

The internet-savvy teen obtained the Glock and other items through Evolution Marketplace, a successor to the Silk Road, a long-time “dark web” site in which users could buy and sell everything from illegal narcotics to munitions using Bitcoin cryptocurrency.

In court, Lyburd testified that buying the Glock was so easy it was “like buying a bar of chocolate.”

He obtained funds for his purchases through a complex extortion scheme in which he used online malware to infect computers, which he in turn held for ransom from their owners.

====Teenage boy 'took shotgun to school after being bullied for being fat'

15-year-old boy arrested for taking shotgun and ammunition into school did it because he was being bullied for being too fat, fellow pupils said.

=======

Oh no…not in the extremis!!!!

Well, for one thing, your assumptions are that there is one guard for the whole school. Secondly, you assume that she or he is in a softened position with no intel about what may happen. While it is true that attacks can come from anywhere at any time without warning, there is often some sort of indication; a threat made, a look that is given etc… Retail store security guards can usually spot someone who is pinching merchandise. Thirdly, the shot itself if they do shoot the security guard first will give the rest of the school some sort of warning that there is an intruder on the campus. Now if the shot is fatal, that is one thing although it will still act as a warning. If the guard is able to push a panic button or some similar device, the authorities have that much more of a jump on the situation, they can lock down the school, etc…
I will be the first to say that it is a bad idea. It is the quintessential reasonable response to an unreasonable situation.

The bottom line is that whatever scenario you want to enlist, police involvement will be on the menu. Now why do you call the police? To take care of the shooter. Having someone there who can take care of the shooter at the outset just makes sense. Using your logic…”The killer will be able to recognize the cops and they’ll be shot!!! Really?

Almost all mass shooters plan the shooting to at least some extent (that I have read about).
They will shoot the guard first. The guard will have no warning. The nut will simply walk up to the guard with a concealed weapon, pull it out and shoot him before the guard has time to act.
And what can the guard do? Shoot a kid because he suspects he might be carrying? No chance.
The guard cannot shoot until he sees a gun. And by then, it's too late.

And what warning to the others? All of the high body count murders had to have an opening shot. I am quite sure others heard it. Yet they all had high body counts.
So that throws the 'warning' scenario out the window.

And besides, your idea would cost tens of billions of dollars (assuming you use multiple guards per school)...that is ridiculous.

I hate to admit it - but Trump was right. Just pay teachers a little extra to carry concealed weapons (but they have to remain concealed or it's pointless).
There is no way a whacko who craves a high body count will start shooting up a school if he has no idea how many teachers are carrying.

And if students/parents don't like armed teachers? Tough.
It's better then their kids getting blown away.

They will shoot the guard first. The guard will have no warning. The nut will simply walk up to the guard with a concealed weapon, pull it out and shoot him before the guard has time to act.

That didn't happen in Parkland or any other case I'm aware of. Yet you keep repeating your fantasy, do you have a link showing where that has actually happened?

What guard was at Columbine or Virginia Tech? And if there was a guard at parkland...well that just shows how useless he was. Duh.

Anyway...the point is that it is a ridiculous idea as it will cost tens of billions just for schools.
Tens of billions more if you include daycares. Tens of billions more if you include all post-secondary schools.

Just allow the teachers to carry concealed weapons...problem solved (more or less).

Most colleges have their own police depts, and most K-12 schools across the country already have SROs assigned to them. Hell in TX, large school districts have their own police depts. We do agree on armed teachers though.

And I am sure that Virginia Tech had armed guards as well. But one whacko with two handguns killed 31 people anyway.
Which just goes to show how useless armed guards are at stopping mass shooting's.

Anyway...I have made my points.

People want to disagree...fine.

I am done here.

Your faulty premise is that the guard will just get shot first.

Now, take that logic and transfer it to the following scenario.

Deranged lunatic with gun enters classroom. There is a teacher and 50 kids. Who gets shot first because they may be armed?

States with stricter firearm laws have lower rates of firearm-related deaths in children, according to cross-sectional analyses to be presented during the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) 2018 annual meeting. The Children’s-led research team also found that states with laws that mandated universal background checks prior to firearm and ammunition purchase were associated with lower rates of firearm-related mortality in children, compared with states that lacked these laws.

Stricter state firearms laws associated with fewer kids killed by guns - ScienceBlog.com

Hey.....dumb ass.....when is a 21 year old considered a kid? When anti gunners want to inflate their child gun death numbers...

From your link......

The research team analyzed data from the 2015 Web-based injury statistics query and reporting system maintained by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to measure the association between Brady Gun Law Scores–a scorecard that evaluates how strict firearms legislation and policies are in all 50 states–and state-based rates of firearm-related death among children 21 years and younger.

In 2015, 4,528 children died from firearm-related injuries. Eighty-seven percent were male; 44 percent were non-Latino black; their mean age was 18.

And how does a universal background check stop gun criminals from getting guns and killing children......you doofus?

Here, the actual number from the CDC....

Fatal Injury Data | WISQARS | Injury Center | CDC
Murder with guns...kids, 238
<1.......11
1-4.......64
5-9......68
10-14....95
Other means........
<1-14

And total accidental gun death for kids, from the CDC........

WISQARS Leading Causes of Death Reports

States with stricter firearm laws have lower rates of firearm-related deaths in children, according to cross-sectional analyses to be presented during the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) 2018 annual meeting.
Those states also have much lower rates of.......liberty.

Don't accept his numbers...when you go into his link they include 21 year olds as kids.....

Deranged lunatic with gun enters classroom. There is a teacher and 50 kids. Who gets shot first because they may be armed?
So, the teacher shouldn't have a chance to stop the shooting, because teacher will be shot and killed anyway?

What about the teacher in the next classroom who hears the shooting and is armed?

Almost all mass shooters plan the shooting to at least some extent (that I have read about).
And what can the guard do? Shoot a kid because he suspects he might be carrying? No chance.
The guard cannot shoot until he sees a gun. And by then, it's too late.

And what warning to the others? All of the high body count murders had to have an opening shot. I am quite sure others heard it. Yet they all had high body counts.
So that throws the 'warning' scenario out the window.

And besides, your idea would cost tens of billions of dollars (assuming you use multiple guards per school)...that is ridiculous.

I hate to admit it - but Trump was right. Just pay teachers a little extra to carry concealed weapons (but they have to remain concealed or it's pointless).
There is no way a whacko who craves a high body count will start shooting up a school if he has no idea how many teachers are carrying.

And if students/parents don't like armed teachers? Tough.
It's better then their kids getting blown away.

That didn't happen in Parkland or any other case I'm aware of. Yet you keep repeating your fantasy, do you have a link showing where that has actually happened?

What guard was at Columbine or Virginia Tech? And if there was a guard at parkland...well that just shows how useless he was. Duh.

Anyway...the point is that it is a ridiculous idea as it will cost tens of billions just for schools.
Tens of billions more if you include daycares. Tens of billions more if you include all post-secondary schools.

Just allow the teachers to carry concealed weapons...problem solved (more or less).

Most colleges have their own police depts, and most K-12 schools across the country already have SROs assigned to them. Hell in TX, large school districts have their own police depts. We do agree on armed teachers though.

And I am sure that Virginia Tech had armed guards as well. But one whacko with two handguns killed 31 people anyway.
Which just goes to show how useless armed guards are at stopping mass shooting's.

Anyway...I have made my points.

People want to disagree...fine.

I am done here.

If the school has a policy of arming and training staff, the attack doesn't happen....mass shooters pick gun free zones, they don't pick places where people will shoot back.

Don't accept his numbers...when you go into his link they include 21 year olds as kids.....
Seriously?

What a fraud.

From his link...

The research team analyzed data from the 2015 Web-based injury statistics query and reporting system maintained by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to measure the association between Brady Gun Law Scores–a scorecard that evaluates how strict firearms legislation and policies are in all 50 states–and state-based rates of firearm-related death among children 21 years and younger.

In 2015, 4,528 children died from firearm-related injuries. Eighty-seven percent were male; 44 percent were non-Latino black; their mean age was 18.

Seriously?

What a fraud.

From his link...

Mean age was 18...so....a bunch of adults, not children.

:auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::laughing0301::laughing0301:

What a bunch of fucking liars.

Seriously?

What a fraud.

From his link...

Mean age was 18...so....a bunch of adults, not children.

:auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::laughing0301::laughing0301:

What a bunch of fucking liars.

That is one of the tricks of the anti gun movement...if you see my post from the CDC I take the number 14 and under from the CDC for gun deaths, ........ 15 and above are prime gang member years and where the majority of gun death occurs for children, not Jack and Jill living in a normal home....

The MSM blows these events so out of proportion so as to sell advertising!
When will you people that get so agitated about banning guns wake up to reality!
Perspective | School shootings are extraordinarily rare. Why is fear of them driving policy?

View attachment 192252

Amazingly, you have an excellent point. There's a "but" and I'll get to that -

A while back I saw a documentary concerning the actual numbers of such things as children being kidnapped, your home being broken into and so on. For the most part, the point was that we see one single thing happen and go all to pieces believing its common and coming to neighborhood near you.

healthmyths - You do this often but so do most of the rest of us. You can scroll up and down the board and find quite a few examples.

Here's the BUT -

To the survivors, the families whose lives are shattered for ever, it really doesn't matter how common or rare it is.

I posted it before - what an AR15 does to the human body. Now imagine its YOUR child, YOUR little 5 year old, YOUR wife/husband, YOUR mother who is literally blown to bits -

You really believe you'll be comforted in the knowledge that it doesn't happen often?

For that matter, define "often". A hundred gun deaths a day is often, especially to the families, survivors who must go on.

Saying that we should not care or be concerned or that we should not do all we can to lessen those numbers is despicable. Period

When will you people that get so agitated about banning guns wake up to reality!
Perspective | School shootings are extraordinarily rare. Why is fear of them driving policy?

View attachment 192252

A while back I saw a documentary concerning the actual numbers of such things as children being kidnapped, your home being broken into and so on. For the most part, the point was that we see one single thing happen and go all to pieces believing its common and coming to neighborhood near you.

healthmyths - You do this often but so do most of the rest of us. You can scroll up and down the board and find quite a few examples.

Here's the BUT -

To the survivors, the families whose lives are shattered for ever, it really doesn't matter how common or rare it is.

I posted it before - what an AR15 does to the human body. Now imagine its YOUR child, YOUR little 5 year old, YOUR wife/husband, YOUR mother who is literally blown to bits -

You really believe you'll be comforted in the knowledge that it doesn't happen often?

For that matter, define "often". A hundred gun deaths a day is often, especially to the families, survivors who must go on.

Saying that we should not care or be concerned or that we should not do all we can to lessen those numbers is despicable. Period

More people are killed by lawn mowers than by mass shooters......even more people are killed by lawn mowers than by mass shooters using AR-15 civilian rifles......or the more popular tool, the hand gun...

Now imagine it is your child, your little 5 year old, YOUR wife/husband who is killed by a lawn mower......imagine those loved ones in the blade of a lawn mower..............

You really believe you will be comforted in the knowledge that it doesn't happen very often...or will you call for a ban of lawn mowers......

Saying that we should do "all we can," regardless of the consequence, is despicable.

Notice "all we can" does not include getting rid of gun free zones that are the targets of mass shooters....... that is not "all we can" as far as he is concerned.

View attachment 192252

Here's the BUT -

Lawn mowers are deadlier than AR-15 rifles...

Lawn mower deaths...

Lawn Mower Accidents Rise This Time of Year | MU News BureauCOLUMBIA, Mo. — It can travel at speeds of more than 200 miles per hour, and with little warning it can severely injure someone. That is how University of Missouri Extension safety expert Bill Casady describes a rock thrown from a lawn mower. Each year, more than more than 75,000 Americans are injured in lawn mowing accidents, and 10,000 of them are children.

“A projectile traveling at 150 to 250 miles per hour has great potential to tear the skin, and usually those injuries heal. However, an object could just as easily hit you in the face or directly in the eye, and that will put an eye out immediately,” Casady said.

Each year, more than 75 people die in lawn mower accidents.

Many lawn mowing accidents involve children, Casady said. He advises parents to not allow children under the age of 12 to use a push mower and to keep children under the age of 16 off riding lawn mowers.

Mass Shooting deaths by year.....

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2015: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation

Rental Truck in Nice, France, 86 murdered in 5 minutes...

Total number murdered in mass public shootings by year...

Lawn mower deaths every year.... more than 75

(Lawn Mower Accidents Rise This Time of Year | MU News Bureau)

2014..... 9
2013..... 36
2012..... 72
2011..... 19
2002...not listed by mother jones
1985...(none listed)
1983 (none listed)

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

Cars, Accidental deaths 2013......35,369

Poisons...accidental deaths 2013....38,851

Alcohol...accidental deaths 2013...29,001

gravity....accidental falling deaths 2013...30,208
Accidental drowning.....3,391
Accidental exposure to smoke, fire and flames.....2,760

View attachment 192252

Here's the BUT -

Lawn mowers are deadlier than AR-15 rifles...

Lawn mower deaths...

Lawn Mower Accidents Rise This Time of Year | MU News BureauCOLUMBIA, Mo. — It can travel at speeds of more than 200 miles per hour, and with little warning it can severely injure someone. That is how University of Missouri Extension safety expert Bill Casady describes a rock thrown from a lawn mower. Each year, more than more than 75,000 Americans are injured in lawn mowing accidents, and 10,000 of them are children.

“A projectile traveling at 150 to 250 miles per hour has great potential to tear the skin, and usually those injuries heal. However, an object could just as easily hit you in the face or directly in the eye, and that will put an eye out immediately,” Casady said.

Each year, more than 75 people die in lawn mower accidents.

Many lawn mowing accidents involve children, Casady said. He advises parents to not allow children under the age of 12 to use a push mower and to keep children under the age of 16 off riding lawn mowers.

Mass Shooting deaths by year.....

Rental Truck in Nice, France, 86 murdered in 5 minutes...

Total number murdered in mass public shootings by year...

Lawn mower deaths every year.... more than 75

(Lawn Mower Accidents Rise This Time of Year | MU News Bureau)

2014..... 9
2013..... 36
2012..... 72
2011..... 19
2002...not listed by mother jones
1985...(none listed)
1983 (none listed)

Cars, Accidental deaths 2013......35,369

Poisons...accidental deaths 2013....38,851

Alcohol...accidental deaths 2013...29,001

gravity....accidental falling deaths 2013...30,208
Accidental drowning.....3,391
Accidental exposure to smoke, fire and flames.....2,760
The goal is not public safety. The goal is communist revolution with no resistance.

Forum List

Back