Since 1999 the chance a public school student being killed by a gun in school is 1 in 614,000,000

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
The MSM blows these events so out of proportion so as to sell advertising!
When will you people that get so agitated about banning guns wake up to reality!
Perspective | School shootings are extraordinarily rare. Why is fear of them driving policy?

WaPOshootsingMSM.png

Dear healthmyths
Do you have any stats that show the percentage of increase
in the incidents over shorter and shorter periods of time?
How about the influence of copycat shootings, or the amount
of publicity causing others to replicate similar stunts?

What gets me healthmyths is the same cure
for mental illness that spiritual healing provides,
can prevent not only school shootings but the causes
of most of the other types and incidents of crimes.

Instead of comparing one type or case to another to compete for which deserves
more attention, why not focus on common solutions to prevent
ANY and ALL of these deadly crimes and attacks?

Dear healthmyths

If you want to end the already rare school shootings, get rid of democrat gun free zones....

We know from actual mass shooters that they target gun free zones....they tell us this, and the anti gunners who ignore this don't care about solving the problem, they simply hate guns and gun owners.

Dear healthmyths

If you want to end the already rare school shootings, get rid of democrat gun free zones.....

I almost feel like a broken record repeating it, but when was the last time there was a serial attack/killing at a:

1). Police Barrack?
2). Gun show?
3). NRA convention?

Or any other event when many/most people were known / expected to be carrying guns?

If you want to end serial mass killings, quit giving them easy targets.

Dear healthmyths

If you want to end the already rare school shootings, get rid of democrat gun free zones....

We know from actual mass shooters that they target gun free zones....they tell us this, and the anti gunners who ignore this don't care about solving the problem, they simply hate guns and gun owners.
Which red state school has the kind of security that you’d like to model?

Dear healthmyths

Which red state school has the kind of security that you’d like to model?

West Point.

Nah, seriously, I'm all for having armed guards at schools.

If you're first phone call after the shooting starts is to the cops whom you expect to show up with guns....doesn't it make sense to have a trained, skilled armed guard there already?

My only question is where does it end? You want the guards at day care centers too? What about on school buses?

If you're first phone call after the shooting starts is to the cops whom you expect to show up with guns....doesn't it make sense to have a trained, skilled armed guard there already?

My only question is where does it end? You want the guards at day care centers too? What about on school buses?
The poster I was replying to complains about Democratic gun free schools as being soft targets. Parkland had an armed guard but he continues to call it a gun free school. So I’m looking for something that will serve as an example of what he wants to see? I’m guessing something in between one armed guard and one sitting in every classroom. So what is it?

The poster I was replying to complains about Democratic gun free schools as being soft targets. Parkland had an armed guard but he continues to call it a gun free school. So I’m looking for something that will serve as an example of what he wants to see? I’m guessing something in between one armed guard and one sitting in every classroom. So what is it?

Its a fair question...what would be the model for a school if the NRA drew it up? Are we talking about a "hardened" target where there is a central office opening and closing doors for students like they have in jails....are we talking about just adding guards....or what?

Its a fair question...what would be the model for a school if the NRA drew it up? Are we talking about a "hardened" target where there is a central office opening and closing doors for students like they have in jails....are we talking about just adding guards....or what?

And just to be clear, I didn't mean "like they have in jails" to be a derogatory phrase....I think any and all options should be on the table when it comes to safety. Most would probably see such a thing as being unreasonable but this is not really a reasonable occurrence you have to plan for.

Dear healthmyths

If you want to end the already rare school shootings, get rid of democrat gun free zones.....

I almost feel like a broken record repeating it, but when was the last time there was a serial attack/killing at a:

1). Police Barrack?
2). Gun show?
3). NRA convention?

Or any other event when many/most people were known / expected to be carrying guns?

If you want to end serial mass killings, quit giving them easy targets.

Here's your sign.
20180426_133947.jpg

This sign is on one of our local businesses.

Nah, just protect the kids in school and let the psychos kill the ones in day care and on buses.

One guard to cover 45 acres of multistory buildings and common areas isn't enough. Having trained teachers is the best, most cost effective means of protecting students. Several TX school districts have been using them for some years now.

There is a company that is marketing locks that are activated by gunfire. I can see pros and cons to this type of tech, but you never know, with the right design it could help to isolate a shooter.

There is a company that is marketing locks that are activated by gunfire. I can see pros and cons to this type of tech, but you never know, with the right design it could help to isolate a shooter.

Anything will help.

Anything will help.

The reality, it will boil down to a cost benefit analysis.

Still folks worry about these things. I've seen a lot of posts here concerning the fear of illegal immigrants too.

the chance of being murdered in an attack committed by an illegal immigrant is an astronomical 1 in 10.9 billion per year.

Terrorism and Immigration: A Risk Analysis

You are right. The odds are astronomical in MANY events blown out of proportion by the MSM which is the POINT of the comment.
More and more intelligent people are recognizing the MSM has strayed from being journalists into commentators. When you have headlines written or 30 second sound bites
that are designed to get your attention and you use these tricks to form YOUR opinions..That's the problem.

Now it is sad that the obvious aspect of the bias is present by the political party but the public based on their party still have a low esteem of the media.

NOTE: Even 81% of the Democrat public finds the News sources NOT CREDIBLE.

So why should anyone believe the blown out of proportion truly biased news media?

New Research Shows Credibility Of News Media Continues To Decline Among US Consumers

MSMbias050718.png

One guard to cover 45 acres of multistory buildings and common areas isn't enough. Having trained teachers is the best, most cost effective means of protecting students. Several TX school districts have been using them for some years now.

For example?

For example?

CNN report found that 170 districts in the state of Texas have policies allowing teachers or administrators to exercise their right to bear arms on campus.

The Texas Education Agency reported in 2014 that there are 1,247 public school districts across the state. That means less than 14 percent of districts exercise concealed carry policies.

The CNN report followed one district in a rural community north of Dallas where a program not only arms teachers, but it includes annual training on handling active shooters.
Teachers armed at select school districts in Texas

Forum List

Back