Simlarities: Buddhism and Christianity

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
At first glance, Buddhism seems vastly different from Christianity. Christianity is a religion about God, while the Absolute in Buddhism is never personalized, and seldom described, except as being beyond description. Most Christian denominations see the Bible as being of paramount importance (particularly in conservative Protestantism), while the vastly larger collection of Buddhist scriptures are seldom considered as an infallible authority except for a handful of smaller sects.

But delving deeper, the differences become much smaller. For instance, many of the early Church Fathers taught that in his true essence, God is unknowable and unfathomable, beyond all words and all descriptions. This inability to speak of the divine nature is known as apophatic (unspeakable) mysticism, which recognizes God is beyond all words and concepts, and anything we use to say what God is falls short. God's essence (ousia), is within all things, but ever beyond all. Similarly, the Buddhist scriptures refer to the ultimate reality as "the Uncreated," or "the Unmanifest," an absolute Reality which is everywhere present, but beyond this perceived world, resulting from no cause, and limited by no conditions.
The Lotus and the Cross: comparing Christian and Buddhist worldviews

We often focus on our differences in religious debate but we can just as easily reflect on our similarities.

I'd say the basic ethics are also very similiar, Sky Dancer, and not merely for these two religions.

Golden-Rule.gif

• Banned
I'd say the basic ethics are also very similiar, Sky Dancer, and not merely for these two religions.

Golden-Rule.gif

Conduct or ethics is one part of Buddhist equation. View and meditation are the others. Buddhism does not simply prescribe rules to people but more importantly, it provides practical methods to achieve results.

Last edited:
Yes, there are clearly differences. All I meant was, every major system of spiritual belief seems to have adopted some version of the Golden Rule as a principle. I'd imagine there are other such similarities.

Does Buddism condemn the behavior condemned by the 10 Commandments (insofar as they apply)?

• Banned
Yes, there are clearly differences. All I meant was, every major system of spiritual belief seems to have adopted some version of the Golden Rule as a principle. I'd imagine there are other such similarities.

Does Buddism condemn the behavior condemned by the 10 Commandments (insofar as they apply)?

We talk about purifying the five poisons of the mind: desire/attachment, aversion/anger/hatred, jealousy, pride and ignorance.

We undertake five trainings called precepts.
Not to harm living beings.
Not to take things not freely given.
Not to engage in harmful sexual misconduct.
Not to speak falsely.
To avoid the use of intoxicants.

Great care is taken especially in speech. To give you an example and what personally makes posting on internet forums quite challenging for me is this elaboration of the precept concerning right speech:

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivate loving speech and deep listening in order to bring joy and happiness to others and relieve others of their suffering. Knowing that words can create happiness or suffering, I am committed to learn to speak truthfully, with words that inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to criticise or condemn things of which I am not sure. I will refrain from uttering words that can cause division or discord, or that can cause the family or the community to break. I will make all efforts to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small."

You can see that the Buddhist bar is set quite high.

Last edited:
How interesting that Buddism directs followers to guard their tongues. And not merely to avoid harming others, but also to create positivity. I can't think of any christian principle that is analogous and yet, how much misery has been caused by the wrong words? Worth pondering.

• Banned
How interesting that Buddism directs followers to guard their tongues. And not merely to avoid harming others, but also to create positivity. I can't think of any christian principle that is analogous and yet, how much misery has been caused by the wrong words? Worth pondering.

Yes. Worth pondering.

I thought you might enjoy this one on sexual misconduct too:

"Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I am committed to cultivate responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and a long-term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct."

Christian/ Buddhist differences:

Jesus came to this world as a man and fulfilled all the prophecies concerning the Messiah. Buddha could not reconcile the existence of suffering with an all-powerful, loving God and so rejected the teachings of Hinduism.

Buddha has shown his way to live: his Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path.

God shows us His way; He has revealed His truth and has told us how we are to live. "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'" (John 14:6).

Comparison - Christianity and Buddhism

"Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I am committed to cultivate responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and a long-term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct."
That should drive away all Liberals.

That should drive away all Liberals.

Really? It hasn't driven me away.

Here is just ONE of the Christian equivalent of watching ones tongue...Maddie and Sky...

James 3 (New International Version)

Taming the Tongue

1Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.

3When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

7All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, 8but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Two Kinds of Wisdom

13Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.

Footnotes:

1. James 3:11 Greek bitter (see also verse 14)

No Christian examples that encourage positivity and discourage harming others ?
Strong evidence that you better study up on Christianity a bit before making more ignorant statements.

No one is claiming that Christianity has no positive examples. Perhaps Madeline could not recall from her own history that she was ever taught about right speech in the Catholic Church.

We are examining similarities and differences of the two paths, Christianity and Buddhism. We have a great opportunity to study up on both.

Last edited:

Here is just ONE of the Christian equivalent of watching ones tongue...Maddie and Sky...

James 3 (New International Version)

Taming the Tongue

1Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.

3When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

7All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, 8but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Two Kinds of Wisdom

13Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.

Footnotes:

1. James 3:11 Greek bitter (see also verse 14)

Thanks. I am happy to see you pipe in. Keep it coming.

No one is claiming that Christianity has no positive examples. Perhaps Madeline could not recall from her own history being taught about right speech in the Catholic Church.

We are examining similarities and differences of the two paths, Christianity and Buddhism.

My post was directed at Madeline and I positively encourage her to read more of the Bible

No one is claiming that Christianity has no positive examples. Perhaps Madeline could not recall from her own history being taught about right speech in the Catholic Church.

We are examining similarities and differences of the two paths, Christianity and Buddhism.

My post was directed at Madeline and I positively encourage her to read more of the Bible

Why are you offended by her post? She expressed her opinion.:eusa_eh:

I'm not offended by her posts. She expressed an opinion that was inaccurate. Christianity and Buddhism both encourage people to speak love and not hate.

I'm not offended by her posts. She expressed an opinion that was inaccurate. Christianity and Buddhism both encourage people to speak love and not hate.

Sorry about that post. I just deleted it. It didn't express what I was trying to say. I guess what I meant is that we're all entitled to our opinions, even when we consider someone else 'wrong'. However, you have a point, "Ignorance only serves to divide".

Last edited:

Sorry about that post. I just deleted it. It didn't express what I was trying to say. I guess what I meant is that we're all entitled to our opinions, even when we consider someone else 'wrong'. However, you have a point, "Ignorance only serves to divide".

It has nothing to do with what I consider. The facts are as Care pointed out that there are plenty of analogies in the Bible that encourage positive speech and discourage negative speech.

Forum List

Back