Signs of ageing halted in the lab

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Matthew, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,143
    Signs of ageing halted in the lab
    BBC ^ | November 2, 2011 | James Gallagher
    BBC News - Signs of ageing halted in the lab
    The onset of wrinkles, muscle wasting and cataracts has been delayed and even eliminated in mice, say researchers in the US.

It was done by "flushing out" retired cells that had stopped dividing. They accumulate naturally with age.

The scientists believe their findings could eventually "really have an impact" in the care of the elderly.

Experts said the results were "fascinating", but should be taken with a bit of caution.

The study, published in Nature, focused on what are known as "senescent cells". They stop dividing into new cells and have an important role in preventing tumours from progressing.

These cells are cleared out by the immune system, but their numbers build up with time. The researchers estimated that around 10% of cells are senescent in very old people.

(Excerpt) Read more at bbc.co.uk ...

Heres to hoping in another 30-40 years that we will have the ability to not only stop aging, but reverse it. Maybe, I will live to see 2100.:eek:

2. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,935
    That's fascinating, Matthew. I've been reading about anticarcinogenic as well as cardiac properties of nuts, in particular, Brazil nuts lately. It could be the substances of diet that are already with us could, in the correct amounts, earn us better health in old age.

Some are already benefitting by nutrients concentrated to benefit older people suffering from pain and autoimmune issues. My fibromyalgia pain is being put on hold by the product at my link. It also helps those suffering from some types of arthritis and neuritis. Just sayin'. :)

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Death stops ageing.

4. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,473
    If we live to see 2030, we might live as long as we wish to, God Willing, and look like whatever age we want to also.

The movie 'In Time' plays with this scenario quite a bit and did some good work with it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,301
    One of the problems with an indefinate life span is that we live in an already crowded world. I remember a science fiction story from the fifties where there was 'coming out' party for an individual that had lived to 90 years old. At the end of the party, he shipped out to the colonies being developed in the asteroids. You see, the Earth is the cradle of mankind, but we all have to leave the cradle at some point.

Another problem would be the need for retraining. Perhaps, instead of retiring on Social Security, we would use that fund for retraining after 20 years in industry. Retraining in our trade or profession, or even training in a new trade or profession. After 50 years in industry, primarily as a millwright, were I to continue in this trade, I would need retraining. Far too much that I don't understand in the high end hydraulics and automation. I imagine that it is the same for all trades and professions. The technology simply evolves too fast to both keep up with it and also hold a job.

6. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,301
    Yes, and my Grandfather used to say that the only thing worse than getting old was the alternative.

7. LAfrique

LAfrique VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

Reminds me of the sci-fi movie In Time where folks stop aging at 25 but are only guaranteed one more year thereafter, and those seeking immortality do so by buying time. Amazing what folks would do to prevent nature. (A good action movie, though I do not think it holds well as sci-fi.)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. FuelRod

FuelRod Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +924
    Let the mice out in the sunlight and see how that works.

9. LAfrique

LAfrique VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

Fuel, man what's up with inflated dolls? Having problems getting real gals?

10. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,473
    lolololol