Sign: "Jesus Is Coming Soon"

To answer your question:2 Peter 3:8
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
2 Peter 3:7-9 (in Context) 2 Peter 3 (Whole Chapter)

Peter is not re-defining "soon", he is explaining God's patience.

The 40 years was so all those who had been unfaithful to God could die off.

That's also why God waited 40 years, until 70AD, to end the Temple age.

it still doesn't mean a 1000 years isn't like a day to a being that is eternal and isn't subject to human time. Time is a perception that humans mark in certain events like the sun and moon rising. What would a being who lives in a place that may not have markers like we do percieve time as?

it still doesn't mean a 1000 years isn't like a day to a being that is eternal and isn't subject to human time. Time is a perception that humans mark in certain events like the sun and moon rising. What would a being who lives in a place that may not have markers like we do percieve time as?

Jesus did not say the end of the age would be soon. He said it would be within a generation. Some people wondered what was taking so long, so Peter explained God isn't subject to our perception of time. That generation still had not expired, when Peter wrote. Again, Peter was not addressing the definition of "soon". You're reading that in, in an attempt to find some biblical support for the absurd notion that 2000 years is "soon".

Moving to Revelation, now the time is identified as "soon". If 2000 years is soon, why didn't Jesus say soon? "Soon" might not mean anything to God, but it means something to men. You attempt to invoke Peter, aside from being misplaced, does nothing but make "soon" meaningless. You might be okay with saying the word of God is meaningless, but I'm not.

Jesus did not say the end of the age would be soon. He said it would be within a generation. Some people wondered what was taking so long, so Peter explained God isn't subject to our perception of time. That generation still had not expired, when Peter wrote. Again, Peter was not addressing the definition of "soon". You're reading that in, in an attempt to find some biblical support for the absurd notion that 2000 years is "soon".

Moving to Revelation, now the time is identified as "soon". If 2000 years is soon, why didn't Jesus say soon? "Soon" might not mean anything to God, but it means something to men. You attempt to invoke Peter, aside from being misplaced, does nothing but make "soon" meaningless. You might be okay with saying the word of God is meaningless, but I'm not.

Where did I say the word of God is meaningless?

Good point. That angel Moroni was more reliable than the 2000 year old fairy tales...at least AS reliable

So the angel is more reliable than the God who sent Him?

Do you guys understand ridiculous you sound?

Either one of them can climb up on a stool and kiss my Big Orange, Tennessee Coon Dawg Arse. I don't believe that ancient trash.
Stop drinking your own shine, your brain has been fried.

Where did I say the word of God is meaningless?

Your argument is that God isn't subject to time, therefor when the Bible says "soon", it's meaningless.

I NEVER said that YOU did. Don't put words into my mouth and then try to chastise me for it.

Use your brain for a minute. Does a being that knows everything that ever has happened, is happening and ever will happen sound like he is subject to time the way we are? Does a being that knows the future and can be everywhere at the same time and for that matter created time, have to have the same time zone we have if he has one at all? No of course not. He created time for us. And all creatures percieve it differently. Why should God percieve it differently if at all? If anything you are assigning limits to a limitless God.

I NEVER said that YOU did. Don't put words into my mouth and then try to chastise me for it.

It is precisely your argument that "soon" has no meaning.

Use your brain for a minute. Does a being that knows everything that ever has happened, is happening and ever will happen sound like he is subject to time the way we are?

Ergo, you argue, "soon" has no meaning.

If anything you are assigning limits to a limitless God.

Taking meaning from "soon" places limits on God?

Soon means soon, not 2000 years. The normal NT word for "soon" is NEVER used for anything far away. Additionally, the normal NT word translated "at hand" is never used for anything of any distance away. When you see the tree leafing, Jesus explained, you know Summer is at hand (they didn't reckon Spring). Jesus didn't say the Temple's destruction was soon, because it was 40 years away. The only timing Jesus gave was before his generation passed away.

Revelation, written 40 years after Jesus spoke, says:

Revelation 1

1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 3Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Haven't they been saying this a couple of thousand years. He's not not here. I frankly don't think he's coming.

Actually that kinda fits the biblical description of the time Christ would return. Basically when nobody expects him to return. After 2000 years most people don't expect him to return. When he returns is immaterial to me and should be to any Christian. Christs Message was clear, live everyday like Judgement day is now, then you won't be caught off guard.

Mathew 24:

45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Haven't they been saying this a couple of thousand years. He's not not here. I frankly don't think he's coming.

Actually that kinda fits the biblical description of the time Christ would return. Basically when nobody expects him to return. After 2000 years most people don't expect him to return. When he returns is immaterial to me and should be to any Christian. Christs Message was clear, live everyday like Judgement day is now, then you won't be caught off guard.

Mathew 24:

45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 24:25-51 was fulfilled nearly 2000 years ago.

2 Peter 3

2That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour: 3Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 4And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

It is precisely your argument that "soon" has no meaning.

Use your brain for a minute. Does a being that knows everything that ever has happened, is happening and ever will happen sound like he is subject to time the way we are?

Ergo, you argue, "soon" has no meaning.

If anything you are assigning limits to a limitless God.

Taking meaning from "soon" places limits on God?

Soon means soon, not 2000 years. The normal NT word for "soon" is NEVER used for anything far away. Additionally, the normal NT word translated "at hand" is never used for anything of any distance away. When you see the tree leafing, Jesus explained, you know Summer is at hand (they didn't reckon Spring). Jesus didn't say the Temple's destruction was soon, because it was 40 years away. The only timing Jesus gave was before his generation passed away.

Revelation, written 40 years after Jesus spoke, says:

Revelation 1

1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 3Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

NO YOU SAID SOON WAS MEANINGLESS. Quote where I said it. You can't because I DIDN'T. I put forward that soon may be DIFFERENT for God then it is for men, not meaningless just a different time sense. Do you think the tortoise and the fly see time and it's progression the same way? Why can't you catch a fly wth yout hands? Because to a fly we are slow, to us a turtle is slow. Yet the fly and the turtle think of themselves and time as moving at a normal pace. Soon to a fly is different then soon to a turtle. If a creature is blind does night and day make any difference to him? If a being lives in the constant now, when is soon? If you don't get the concept I can't help you as I can't make it clearer then this.

Mathew 24:

Matthew 24:25-51 was fulfilled nearly 2000 years ago.

2 Peter 3

2That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour: 3Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 4And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

Do you have something relevant to the point you're making? The bible is not relevant as there is no proof of it's authentic y as a reliable source to a meaningful discussion.

Well, actually, that's not true. There's plenty of proof that it's a reliable historical source...

Well, actually, that's not true. There's plenty of proof that it's a reliable historical source...

Some of the history is based in reality. When you come to the miracles there is no source as to the reality. They are no more a source of truth in that regard as "The Lord of the Rings." There exists no evidence as to the miracles or birth claims that Jesus had anything supernatural going on. Since the things he did have not happened since that time it certainly makes it unbelievable.
There is not even proof that prayer works other than to calm ones nerves. No direct evidence shows prayer has ever done anything.
So the miracles part and the return of Jesus are very much in doubt. I hope you aren't holding your breathe.

I put forward that soon may be DIFFERENT for God then it is for men, not meaningless just a different time sense.

Given that we don't know what time is to God, then your argument is that "soon" is meaningless -- to us. That's your whole stupid arguent: We shouldn't conclude that God means "soon" when he says "soon" because we don't know his perception of time.

Your argument is that the Bible is meaningless. But, that reflects ignorance of the purpose of language, to communicate meaning. God would't say "soon" by his understanding, but buy what we would understand the word to mean.

To compound the stupidity of your argument, "soon" is meaningless to God (the place where you think it has meaning). Not only is a thousand years as a day to God, and a day as a thousand years, but trillion years is as a day and a day is as a trillion years. God is outside of time.

And, again, a point that seems totally over your head, Peter was not addressing the meaning of "soon" when he made the thousands-years-as-a-day comment. He was addressing God's patience.

How soon is ....soon? You radical agnostics know what is going on even if you pretend to be stupid. People weren't afraid to display their religious beliefs at one time. Times have changed and now a kid could be kicked out of school if a search of his backpack revealed a Bible.

I put forward that soon may be DIFFERENT for God then it is for men, not meaningless just a different time sense.

Given that we don't know what time is to God, then your argument is that "soon" is meaningless -- to us. That's your whole stupid arguent: We shouldn't conclude that God means "soon" when he says "soon" because we don't know his perception of time.

Your argument is that the Bible is meaningless. But, that reflects ignorance of the purpose of language, to communicate meaning. God would't say "soon" by his understanding, but buy what we would understand the word to mean.

To compound the stupidity of your argument, "soon" is meaningless to God (the place where you think it has meaning). Not only is a thousand years as a day to God, and a day as a thousand years, but trillion years is as a day and a day is as a trillion years. God is outside of time.

And, again, a point that seems totally over your head, Peter was not addressing the meaning of "soon" when he made the thousands-years-as-a-day comment. He was addressing God's patience.

You don't even know that god exists, let alone if it can tell time.

How soon is ....soon? You radical agnostics know what is going on even if you pretend to be stupid. People weren't afraid to display their religious beliefs at one time. Times have changed and now a kid could be kicked out of school if a search of his backpack revealed a Bible.

There are Bibles in public school libraries.
Anyone can bring a Bible to a public school and pray to themselves all they want.
All day, everyday.
What you can not do is force your prayers on other students to recite.
Why do you want to force others to recite your prayers if your faith is so strong with your own religion?

Forum List

Back