Show your Desktop

My first computer desktop...
c128_basic_7_screen_shot.gif

I just put a new PC together with Linux Mint, here's my desktop so far :

Screenshot%20from%202015-09-12%20175653.png

On my Vista PC I have about 50 icons on my desktop, it's a cluttered mess. :p I like to have things easily available so I do most everything on the desktop. I'll probably end up cluttering up the new one, too....but maybe I'll try and keep it a little cleaner.

On my Vista PC I have about 50 icons on my desktop, it's a cluttered mess. :p I like to have things easily available so I do most everything on the desktop. I'll probably end up cluttering up the new one, too....but maybe I'll try and keep it a little cleaner.
Cool. I have that too but use the Mac looking Cairo Dock so have no icons except mounted drives. But I'm a neat freak.

That's pretty cool. I wish I knew more about computers. Ask me to turn off my popup blocker, and I'm totally lost. :lol: I hate Windows 8.1 too.

That's pretty cool. I wish I knew more about computers. Ask me to turn off my popup blocker, and I'm totally lost. :lol: I hate Windows 8.1 too.

I just started using Linux very recently. I hated what I've seen of Win8, and don't like the intrusiveness I've heard about from Win10. Plus, I save $100 not buying an OS. :D

I've had some troubles with Linux; I went through 3 other versions before I settled on Mint. I liked it because it is the most comfortable version I've tried. It is close enough to Windows style that I can figure things out decently well. That's important because information about using Linux is.....scattered. It's freeware, different people often do the same thing in different ways, so it can be difficult to find the best way to go about some things I've gotten used to doing easily in Windows. It also can have problems running games, which is a big deal for me, but things have gotten better with that.

I just started using Linux very recently. I hated what I've seen of Win8, and don't like the intrusiveness I've heard about from Win10. Plus, I save $100 not buying an OS. :D

I've had some troubles with Linux; I went through 3 other versions before I settled on Mint. I liked it because it is the most comfortable version I've tried. It is close enough to Windows style that I can figure things out decently well. That's important because information about using Linux is.....scattered. It's freeware, different people often do the same thing in different ways, so it can be difficult to find the best way to go about some things I've gotten used to doing easily in Windows. It also can have problems running games, which is a big deal for me, but things have gotten better with that.

I hate windows 8. I've been getting notifications to update to windows 10. I haven't done that yet. Do I have to? I've JUST started getting used to this stupid one and now they want me to change again? :uhoh3: I also hate that they come with all the apps. I never use ANY of them. They just take up space. Is there a way to get rid of those?

Cool. I have that too but use the Mac looking Cairo Dock so have no icons except mounted drives. But I'm a neat freak.

I don't know much about Cairo Dock, does it have more functionality than the default panel?

Well, there are a billion Conky themes out there! I'm going to be screwing around with that off and on forever. I put a couple of the default theme widgets on my desktop. I don't really like the semi transparent background in the corner, but I couldn't read the text without it. The purple colors are because the little one loves purple. :D

Screenshot%20from%202015-09-13%20021603.png

I hate windows 8. I've been getting notifications to update to windows 10. I haven't done that yet. Do I have to? I've JUST started getting used to this stupid one and now they want me to change again? :uhoh3: I also hate that they come with all the apps. I never use ANY of them. They just take up space. Is there a way to get rid of those?

I think you would really like Linux, in particular Linux Mint.
It is very clean, fast and simple. And you can forever say goodbye to viruses and malware.
How would you like to open your laptop...enter your password and literally in 2-3 seconds the computer is fully up and ready?

It is very clean, fast and simple. And you can forever say goodbye to viruses and malware.
How would you like to open your laptop...enter your password and literally in 2-3 seconds the computer is fully up and ready?

Mine is actually very fast. That is pretty much how it is for me now. It's a fairly new computer and I have high speed internet too though.

Mine is actually very fast. That is pretty much how it is for me now. It's a fairly new computer and I have high speed internet too though.

I would think you would like the clean and simplicity of Mint the most...this is the default desktop...
Linux-Mint-maya.jpg

As you can see - not a bunch of garbage everywhere you don't want in the first place. This is my desktop...
hsjipl.jpg

The other benefit of Linux is of course you have no fear of getting viruses/spyware etc. As of course 99.9% of all malware only infects Windows.

Forum List

Back