Should You Give Away Your Intellectual Property?

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Well, I did my best but a wonderful book written decades ago which has since sunk without a trace and will not be resurrected in my lifetime and you will not read it, will not learn from it, and a chance for the immortalization of the ideas therein will not come to fruition.

This is because the "owner" of the IP – even though he is clueless about the social value of the book – cannot be persuaded to let it be published at a market price.

Should You Give Away Your Precious IP? by Jeffrey A. Tucker

Well, I did my best but a wonderful book written decades ago which has since sunk without a trace and will not be resurrected in my lifetime and you will not read it, will not learn from it, and a chance for the immortalization of the ideas therein will not come to fruition.

This is because the "owner" of the IP – even though he is clueless about the social value of the book – cannot be persuaded to let it be published at a market price.

If you post something on a website, be sure you have some way to reclaim the rights to it, otherwise it becomes their property as well. Not every digital guru is nice like me, most will take whatever they can for hits or "bury" for their personal agendas. I can't say I am sorry for this poor soul, he forgot the rule of law: Always get a contract in writing.

If you post something on a website, be sure you have some way to reclaim the rights to it, otherwise it becomes their property as well. Not every digital guru is nice like me, most will take whatever they can for hits or "bury" for their personal agendas. I can't say I am sorry for this poor soul, he forgot the rule of law: Always get a contract in writing.

I think what Tucker was saying was that the owner of the intellectual property of this book is the grandson of the author and will not allow the Mises Institute to re-print the book and put it up on their website for free. I don't think there ever was any kind of contract beforehand.

Intellectual property belongs to the person who came up with the original thought, book, idea, concept, etc. Or their heirs and assigns. They have a right to be paid for the use of their property. That's alot of the problem these days, everyone wants to take from another and use it to line their own pockets. Even if the organization is a not for profit, they still have money to operate, pay their advisors, teachers, staff and administrators. In that, someone is making a buck otherwise the organization would not exist. Tax incentives whatever. It all comes down to the mighty dollar.

Forum List

Back