Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, make the pigs serve their time

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Yes, 107 years is too long for robbery

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
most people deserve a second or third chance. but when you violate parole and commit new felonies that pretty much proves you can't be trusted to make reasonable choices. lock the bastards away!

If someone is given a 107 year sentence, unless something comes up that shows they might be innocent or extenuating circumstances come to light, why shouldn't they serve 107 years?

Why should I feed and clothe them for 107 years after they raped and murdered twenty people (or whatever heinous crimes led to such a sentence)

grant clemency or commute sentences? Or should we keep everyone locked up for 107 years because they "might" committ a crime and then the left will have a political hammer! Which? Age doesn't matter! :lol:

Clemency must be availble for the following reasons:

1- numerous acts criminalized by the welfare/warfare state are not crimes at all, ie, prostitution, using "drugs", etc

2- So until the mo'fo's stop criminalizing everything under the sun , clemency will be necessary.

many crimes aren't crimes?

Are you fucking stupid?

No! so let me get this straight. You cannot answer the question so I automatically defend Huckabee by asking questions? And in your view it is entirely impossible that a judge may exact a too harsh sentence. Am I reading you right? Or is it possible you just like 107 year sentences imposed on a young black man for robbery BECAUSE it turns out that Huckabee showed compassion and the young black man turned into a cop killer so you now use it conveniently as a political sledgehammer? Which is it. Should the man have been shown compassion or not?

your question is answered in my post after the one you chose to reply to.

okay, I think I read you right. A 107 year sentence on a young black man is entirely logical and compassion should never be shown because someday he might kill a cop! Got it!

Why the need to point out his race? Do I detect moronic political motives?

willow's inability to craft an argument has been exposed again. Her general posting has always revealed her to be a silly political hack, suffering from intellectual anorexia. Nothing new here.

oh I know. you believe wholeheartedly that a 17 year old convicted of robbery should serve 107 years. without a doubt.. we got that..

scenario: a 17 year old goes into a kindergarten class and rapes and kills 10 kids and then mutilates and eats the bodies, what would be the proper punishment in your eyes? (The governor of this what if state is a democrat so you dont have to cover for his ass in this scenario)
Once proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, capital punishment.

if someone is sentenced 107 years, it is probably for good reason and they should stay in prison.

for robbery.

It really depends on his prior record that may have been used in court. This dude was a life long criminal up to the point of the 108 year sentence, and then again after the parole.

See: mitigating and aggravating circumstances

Clemency? Why should such a concept exist? Wouldn't such matters be covered by mitigating circumstances?

Measures like parole, clemency, concurrent vs consecutive sentences, the appeal system, and probation make the system more flexible so that mitigating circumstances can more easily be taken into account. Parole offers the additional benefit of giving the prison population a carrot for good behavior (in addition to the many sticks also in place).

With the possible exceptions of clemency and pardons, I think that most such measures are good ones and beneficial to our society.

grant clemency or commute sentences? Or should we keep everyone locked up for 107 years because they "might" committ a crime and then the left will have a political hammer! Which? Age doesn't matter! :lol:
No.

It makes a mockery of the entire system.

The system unfortunately mocks itself. Until everyone ses the same info huckabee had second guessing after the fact is just being an asshole. If Huckabe had granted clemency and he'd gone on to lead a worthwhile life everyone of you leftist ass hats wold be writting things about how more people should be given a second chance and you know it.

fred_bird_baretta-797674.jpg

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"

Sorry but if someone commits a crime, fuck them.

Lock them up and don't let them out until they've the the full sentence.

while we're at it, take away the TVs and the free college courses and put them to work for 10 hours a day picking up trash and paving roads.

Naw, one of the only smart things we ever did to reduce recidivism was allow inmates to further their educations. Let them get an education.

They had the chance for a free education and decided to be criminals instead

So let them live with their choices

Again I say Fuck them!

This poll was hard to answer. I am a hardliner on crime, most of all any type of violent crime or crimes committed with a weapon. Further, I do support the death penalty. I even support the death penalty in cases which do not involve murder, they would include certain crimes against children and certain rape cases.

I do not believe in early parole for such crimes, nor do I believe in clemency for them.

However, I have to vote yes because even with my outlook on this, there are situations which warrant clemency.

Please let me explain.

A person close to us killed her husband. Shot him while he slept and left him laying in the bed for weeks. She even went and reported him missing and was working with the police trying to find him.

To make this short she was a victim of severe physical and mental abuse. She broke, she flipped out, she lost it. Yet, her sentence was very extreme and she ended up being let out through clemency.

Was she legally wrong? Of course she was. Could she have legally handled this better? Of course she could have. Yet, her story is a testament to how the system can fail people at times.

Morally in my opinion she was right and the SOB got what he had coming. Further, though she understood what she did, she was not totally responsible for her actions, she broke down and after a beating one night, she killed him while he slept.

to this day this woman's life is still ruined because of what she suffered through, both mentally and physically and it has been more than 20 years ago. She is a kind person who people love and enjoy to be around.

So yes, there are situations where the justice handed down is flawed, but, I think it is rare and I think great care, investigation and understanding needs to go into making such decisions.

So I would have preferred to have been able to vote yes, but, under extreme circumstances.

Mike

I agree. I think it should be used sparingly when an egregious miscarriage of justice is documented. A 19 year old sentenced to 25 years for having sex with a 15 year old might fall into that category. Not "career criminals".

Like everything else the government does, they've convoluted the justice system to the point that 2+2 no longer equal 4. It's stupid that a person has to be charged with multiple charges for the same offense in order to ensure they actually get convicted and then receive multiple sentences for the same offense to make sure they stay in jail. It's stuff like that that lead to questioning the fairness of the sentence and make clemency and commutation necessary.

L.I.O.s (Lesser Included Offenses) are there to give a jury or a judge (when there is no jury trial) options when considering the crime and the circumstances surrounding the crime, to determine what a person may be guilty of.

What Constitutes the Same Offense - Criminal Law

- Learn About the Law

most people deserve a second or third chance. but when you violate parole and commit new felonies that pretty much proves you can't be trusted to make reasonable choices. lock the bastards away!

all is true, but doesn't answer the original question.

That's because the original question does not define clemency:

Clemency may be a pardon, shortening of a prison sentence, commutation of a sentence, or a reprieve. Clemency may be granted by each state’s governor and the President of the United States, and may be based upon mercy or other considerations that put a prisoner's guilt in doubt.

As some others have said I am rather a hardass when it comes to crime. If you don't want to the time find something constructive and LEGAL to do with your time.

That being said I do think that some of our sentencing is out of proportion with the crimes committed and that many non-violent criminals would likely do better with some sort of rehab and education then sitting on their asses in a jail and that clemency is a needed legal construct for cases when there has been a miscarriage of justice in the system.

all is true, but doesn't answer the original question.

That's because the original question does not define clemency:

Clemency may be a pardon, shortening of a prison sentence, commutation of a sentence, or a reprieve. Clemency may be granted by each state’s governor and the President of the United States, and may be based upon mercy or other considerations that put a prisoner's guilt in doubt.

:confused::confused::confused:

How do you know that someone at 17 is going to be a career criminal? That's like saying some 16 year old that reads a lot of science articles is going to be a nobel winning scientist.

Forum List

Back