Should We Jack The Debt Limit ?

Well, if you feel we need something in place, then the ceiling needs modernized. We aren't on the gold standard anymore. Having an arbatrary dollar amount really doesnt make sense.

I read an article that suggested switching to a % of debt per GDP would make more sense( and I agree) and would also encourage lawmakers to pass laws that foster growth instead of relying on raising the ceiling every time we get close.

The LAST thing we should do is permit lawmakers to legislate away the teeth of the debt ceiling, but you had better believe the democrats will do it should they ever get another super majority now that they see how it can be used to thwart them.

Well, if you feel we need something in place, then the ceiling needs modernized. We aren't on the gold standard anymore. Having an arbatrary dollar amount really doesnt make sense.

I read an article that suggested switching to a % of debt per GDP would make more sense( and I agree) and would also encourage lawmakers to pass laws that foster growth instead of relying on raising the ceiling every time we get close.
(Arbitrary) We need to cut spending! % of GDP is interesting, but our debt is already huge?

The LAST thing we should do is permit lawmakers to legislate away the teeth of the debt ceiling, but you had better believe the democrats will do it should they ever get another super majority now that they see how it can be used to thwart them.

Using the threat of default to beat the other guy is bad for our country. It lowers our credit rating, it makes business' and investors both American and overseas, nervous. They don't invest, the hold back. Who the hell wants to expand to a country that threatens to default on its debt every year?

Besides, the fact is, there will be another GOP president and Im positive that dems will take this petty tactic and use it in the future.

(Arbitrary) We need to cut spending! % of GDP is interesting, but our debt is already huge?

I agree we have a debt issue. We need to stop kicking the can down the road, and pass a comprehensive 15-20 year plan to reduce/eliminate debt. It can be done, and having a long term plan of reduced spending and a clear path when it comes to taxes will give consumers and business confidence and boost the economy.

I agree we have a debt issue. We need to stop kicking the can down the road, and pass a comprehensive 15-20 year plan to reduce/eliminate debt. It can be done, and having a long term plan of reduced spending and a clear path when it comes to taxes will give consumers and business confidence and boost the economy.
You know entitlements are the greatest drivers of the debt ? How about a balanced budget amendment ?

Using the threat of default to beat the other guy is bad for our country. It lowers our credit rating, it makes business' and investors both American and overseas, nervous. They don't invest, the hold back. Who the hell wants to expand to a country that threatens to default on its debt every year?

Besides, the fact is, there will be another GOP president and Im positive that dems will take this petty tactic and use it in the future.

Sounds nice, but there is no other way.

Tea Party used it to make the Budget Control Act of '11 a reality.

A cap on how much money one can go into debt is not a radical idea. It is a very good idea. That it was ignored in the past does not mean it cannot be used effectively now.

You know entitlements are the greatest drivers of the debt ? How about a balanced budget amendment ?

Top 3 biggest parts of the budget

Social Security
Defense
Medicare

Raising the retirement age, and drawing down defense to pre 9-11 levels, as well as eliminating homeland security, would do a great deal to fix our debt.

Social Security
Defense
Medicare

Raising the retirement age, and drawing down defense to pre 9-11 levels, as well as eliminating homeland security, would do a great deal to fix our debt.

Sounds easy.

LOL

Social Security
Defense
Medicare

I thought it was: SS
Medicaid
Medicare
Defence ?
We are living longer - I don't see where raising the age should be an issue; good idea!
How about a balanced budget admendment?
We should look at everything - homeland etc.

I don't think adding a constitutional amendment for budgeting is a good idea. The ones I have seen purposed, have some serious flaws IMO.Besides, budgets are a congressional issue, but I'd fear once it became an amendment we'd have Bush/ Gore every other year with parties running to the SC to challenge each other.

I don't think adding a constitutional amendment for budgeting is a good idea. The ones I have seen purposed, have some serious flaws IMO.Besides, budgets are a congressional issue, but I'd fear once it became an amendment we'd have Bush/ Gore every other year with parties running to the SC to challenge each other.
Do you think Harry Reid should put fourth a budget - it doesn't seem like a congressional issue to him!

Do I think he should "put forward" a budget? No. I dont really see the point in any partisan budgets, besides being able to go on FOX/MSNBC and crow about how you "made a budget" even though you knew while you wrote it that it would never pass.

We need a bipartisan budget that tackles real issues and has real solutions, not just everything one party wants, or "let's do nothing even longer!".

Do I think he should "put forward" a budget? No. I dont really see the point in any partisan budgets, besides being able to go on FOX/MSNBC and crow about how you "made a budget" even though you knew while you wrote it that it would never pass.

We need a bipartisan budget that tackles real issues and has real solutions, not just everything one party wants, or "let's do nothing even longer!".

So you believe it is fine for Reid to completely ignore the Budget Act of 1974 which requires the Senate to submit a budget resolution, but you earlier argued for a new law which requires Congress to stay within budgets because it ... would work?

In order to stop the increase in debt you would have to cut the federal budget across the board by 40%, because that's how much of our spending is currently being borrowed.

As appealing as the idea of a 40% cut in defense spending is, I don't think such cuts are feasible.

Anyone advocating a mass default on our financial obligations is retarded.

Bipartisanship is a little scarce!
It is quite a mess! However Reid should not continue to abdicate his responsibility; he is duty bound!

In order to stop the increase in debt you would have to cut the federal budget across the board by 40%, because that's how much of our spending is currently being borrowed.

As appealing as the idea of a 40% cut in defense spending is, I don't think such cuts are feasible.

We wouldn't be here if Reid and Obama did budgets, of course.

Reid and Obama don't do budgets.

And crashing the economy through continued borrowing, and spending is what?

Forum List

Back