Should We Apologize for Slavery?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by William Joyce, Apr 8, 2007.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Well, Southern states are rushing to do it. It's all the rage.

Some say this is setting the groundwork for reparations payments.

http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2007/04/nc_senate_apolo.php

AP, April 6, 2007

The North Carolina Senate apologized yesterday for the legislature’s role in promoting slavery and Jim Crow laws that denied basic human rights to the state’s black citizens.

Following the lead of lawmakers in neighboring Virginia, the Senate unanimously backed a resolution acknowledging its “profound contrition for the official acts that sanctioned and perpetuated the denial of basic human rights and dignity to fellow humans.”

“This is a way to reflect upon this and express our understanding and our regret for official actions of our state,” said Senate Majority Leader Tony Rand, a Democrat and the bill’s primary sponsor.

Such an apology, Rand added, will help us “to try to be better children of God and better representatives of all the people of this state.”

Slavery was a huge mistake, but I wretch when politicians use phrases like "we are better children of God." Doing what's popular at the moment doesn't necessarily make you better in God's eyes. 200 years ago, this idiot would have been saying God's smiling on slavery. How hard is it, really, to "apologize" for something you didn't even do??? You get to bask in the moral warmth but feel no pain. Easy morality.

2. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
  3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    My 'family' did not come to the states til 1898, they were starving back home. I think they would have been happier if UK had declared them slaves and let them eat.

4. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    You can come back and be my slave.:shock: :lol:

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    No thanks, enjoying being held hostage by my family and some 11-14 year olds. ;)

I am considering a visit to UK in the next couple years. If were still in contact, I might meet ya for a pint.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I refuse to apologize for, or be held accountable for something that happened prior to any current living human being's existence, that I did not participate in, and/or was not around to make any decision that would place responsibility upon me.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    there is that old debate about the validity of past decisions of governments... do we go with pact sunt servanda or rebus sic stantibus which translates roughly from the latin as "the shitty decsions of the past live on" versus "all bets are off". If one hold the former to be the applicable international legal standard, then it is not YOU - Gunny - who is apologizing for something that, clearly, you had no part in, but rather your government whose continuity survives and, thus, is still responsible for the decisions made by its predecessors.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Nah. It's all bets are off. You (and this includes the discorporate .gov) cannot be held to account for the sins of the fathers. Now, if you can produce a single living person who has a legitimate beef..... Say an Indian forced off his land and onto a shithole, I mean reservation.... Or a black man who was a slave....... or a woman who was denied the right to vote........ or the ever popular etc etc and etc......

In the latin I think it is ullshitbay.

9. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    then you clearly ascribe to the rebus sic stantibus point of view. You need to realize that not all international legal scholars share your opinion.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    At the government/legal level, I'm not going to disagree with your assessment; whether or not I agree with the principle.

At the personal level, whites have been expected to be apologetic and feel guilty since the 70s, at least. It is that which I addressed.

As far as the government goes, The 13th Amendment was ratified and signed into law in 1865; which, corrected the inequality in the law. While it is true that prior to that, slavery was legal, the government itself did not own slaves. Slaves were owned at the personal level.

I just don't see that a century and a half later that an apology is either required, nor even realy desired. The TRUE underlying desire is to get states and/or the Federal government to admit liability so those that have made a livng off of what happened to their ancestors at least 5 times removed can squeeze some more money out of it.