Should The US Girl Scouts Buy Their Uniforms From Communist China?

Most Americans make purchases based on price. We simply can't compete with nations who don't have the same type of protections our government mandates. This is why people fight against unions.

The solution:
protective tariffs and fair trade laws than ban imported goods produced in sweatshops to reduce the exploitation of the poor and make 'outsourcing' less attractive and keeps jobs and manufacturing inside the United States, with trade being supplementing rather than replacing American production and invention. Two birds, one stone.

And I agree with your point that many of the unions got greedy and shot themselves in the foot.

the name of the ruling party in china is the communist party. that does not make them communist through the way that their economy and society functions. china is a mixed economy. some aspects of it are commie, but to a lesser extent, the same can be said of the US.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
I could not agree with you more, kwc57. IMO, Chinese goods should be illegal to import into the US unless certified child and slave labor-free by Amnesty International. As for any other Chinese goods, the US should slap a 100% tariff on them.

I do not care to live in a Third World Nation run remotely from Bejing.
Fair trade, not free trade

People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The People's Republic of China (PRC), commonly known as China, is the most populous state in the world with over 1.3 billion people. Located in East Asia, China is a single-party state governed by the Communist Party of China (CPC).

Yes, they call themselves that. And the GOP calls themselves the Republican Party, but don't expect me to believe they've believed in or advocated republicanism in my lifetime.

Read Schachtman and apply it to China. Read Marx and compare it to China.

Words have meanings.

these tariff and quota 'solutions' are pretty preposterous. of all the people who should pay for the fact that some american businesses have decided to relinquish competing for market share through domestic production, it should be domestic consumers. US consumers are the basis of the great economy that all the world's businesses are out to exploit. why directly burden us with the issue of lessor competitive domestic production?

Why doesn't the girl scouts just import girls from China to sell their doucher cookies?

preposterous. they are de facto penalties on consumers. even if you dont fix prices with tariffs, the supply-impeding effect of quotas will illicit inflation. the products/commodities will be dearer.

in my desperation for human interaction, i may be talking to myself. :redface:

does this help?

The solution:

protective tariffs and fair trade laws than ban imported goods produced in sweatshops to reduce the exploitation of the poor and make 'outsourcing' less attractive and keeps jobs and manufacturing inside the United States, with trade being supplementing rather than replacing American production and invention. Two birds, one stone.
And I agree with your point that many of the unions got greedy and shot themselves in the foot.

...plus...

I could not agree with you more, kwc57. IMO, Chinese goods should be illegal to import into the US unless certified child and slave labor-free by Amnesty International. As for any other Chinese goods, the US should slap a 100% tariff on them.

equals:

these tariff and quota 'solutions' are pretty preposterous. of all the people who should pay for the fact that some american businesses have decided to relinquish competing for market share through domestic production, it should be domestic consumers. US consumers are the basis of the great economy that all the world's businesses are out to exploit. why directly burden us with the issue of lessor competitive domestic production?

What about quotas?

You lost me.
preposterous. they are de facto penalties on consumers. even if you dont fix prices with tariffs, the supply-impeding effect of quotas will illicit inflation. the products/commodities will be dearer.

does that seem like i'm on topic? its all from the same page.

preposterous. they are de facto penalties on consumers.

No more or less than was the increase in cost when slavery ended.

Yes, it costs more when the workers aren't slaves or starving children. So what? Wil prices go up? Not really. They haven't gone down when companies have moved; not nearly so much as the profit margin has increased. That you defend slavery and the suffering of children in the name of profit makes you less than human. You're a fine example of why capitalism is an evil system.

Men are not mere commodities and assets to be purchases, traded, used, and manipulated in the pursuit of capital.'

Or Connecticut. ;)

Most Americans make purchases based on price. We simply can't compete with nations who don't have the same type of protections our government mandates. This is why people fight against unions.

The solution:

The solution. Fair Labor Laws. Expel Union's from Government, Federal State and Local Government Jobs. Disband Government Workers Unions.

Yes, it costs more when the workers aren't slaves or starving children. So what? Wil prices go up? Not really. They haven't gone down when companies have moved; not nearly so much as the profit margin has increased. That you defend slavery and the suffering of children in the name of profit makes you less than human. You're a fine example of why capitalism is an evil system.

Men are not mere commodities and assets to be purchases, traded, used, and manipulated in the pursuit of capital.'
i'd argue that prices do vary between cheap chinese goods and those which are available from brands which are made elsewhere, particularly in developed nations. this isn't about me and my advocating chinese labor practices. this is about your tariff and quota fix which transfers the burden of chinese manufacture practices to american consumers. it considers the repercussions of open tariffs and quotas when there are american firms looking to produce products and provide raw materials on the world market. i think that tariffs and quotas are crude and impede the very basis of the US economy: our capacity to consume products and services. why not address the issues which make the chinese labor market more attractive than the domestic market by making our market more competitive?

the issue i have with the fair labor approach is that it delves into the operation of other governments where we could use those same energies to improve the competitiveness of our own productivity. at a rhetoric level, that's fine, but beyond that, i'd like to see our government better empower our workers and companies which do produce stateside, instead of 'protecting' them with fair labor measures. there's more to the disparity of or competitiveness in our production market and that of countries which have economies based on production. their monetary situation and the costs of living and investment in those countries vastly advantages them over the US long after the plausibility of an 'unfair' characterization is remedied. for this reason, i'd like to see lawmakers do more to improve the competitiveness of local labor directly, so that foreign labor markets are on their heels for once.

i'd argue that prices do vary between cheap chinese goods and those which are available from brands which are made elsewhere, particularly in developed nations. this isn't about me and my advocating chinese labor practices. this is about your tariff and quota fix which transfers the burden of chinese manufacture practices to american consumers. it considers the repercussions of open tariffs and quotas when there are american firms looking to produce products and provide raw materials on the world market. i think that tariffs and quotas are crude and impede the very basis of the US economy: our capacity to consume products and services. why not address the issues which make the chinese labor market more attractive than the domestic market by making our market more competitive?

More competitive? WE outlawed Slavery, Prison Labor, pretty much, and Child Labor. Questioning Government Agencies and their over reach makes sense. Let's start with the Commerce Clause, let's restore it to original Design, and how about the EPA being limited to what it can competently prove, rather than everything it can imagine. How about Government in General Maintaining a fair playing field, rather than picking who win's and who loses, before the game is played. Hamilton corrupted Government's role by making it a silent partner in big business, let's put an end to that, and restore the integrity of the Referee.

Forum List

Back