Should The US Girl Scouts Buy Their Uniforms From Communist China?

Connecticut-The Constitution State-The Oligarchy State Follow the Yellow Brick Road or follow the Puppet Strings back to the Source.

New York is perfect for the Elite and Privileged, the rest of us, we don't count.

There is more to New York than NYC, Intense. The Finger Lakes, the Appalachian Mountains, Long Island......it's a treasure trove of a state with something for everyone.

It even has a playground for the simple-minded, called Buffalo.

OMG Buffalo, My Son is up there. There is more to NY than NYC??? You are Kidding, Right?

Check out My Picture Album , if you get a chance. I took a run up to the Adirondacks during that last big storm, with the hope of getting some Foliage pictures while the trees still had leaves. Eventful Trip. Long Island??? Where's that??? :lol:

Why's your son in Buffalo, Intense? He join the Peace Corps?

*Laughs*

BTW, did ya get apples? New York has the best apples on Planet Earth....yummm.

madeline, why do you feel that american consumers should suffer on account of what is wrong with china? i think china's accountable for enough suffering as it is. tariffs are penalties for buying goods which the tariffs are placed on and these penalties are borne by the consumer.

This is the real rub....us Americans are addicted to cheap Chinese goods and won't willingly pay the freight for those same goods made by workers in our country, in safe conditions.

when you make a product, you have to price it for it to sell, hopefully to cut a profit in the process. the issue isn't that americans like that chinese have made the products or how they have been made however horribly you contend, the issue is that the goods produced domestically often times dont present the quality or the price to compete to the extent that the chinese goods do. this is often the role of american firms branding chinese-made goods and hocking them out here.

there is a value which americans associate with made in america, but it does not constitute the difference between the price/quality of chinese goods and that of domestics. if profitability is more accessible to american producers through some support for their costs, i argue that quality and price would improve, making their produce more competitive.

what you support is punishing the consumers for making a fair and rational decision through inflationary and confrontational trade policy. i say analyze that rational consumer decision and try to empower american businesses with the ability to make what the world has decided with their cash to be more competitive products. there's no escaping that in the end.

Anatagon, the argument I usually hear when I suggest protectionism for US trade is that China will retaliate.

Do we give a shit if we cannot sell US goods in China? If the upside was, China cannot sell Chinese goods in the US, wouldn't we be far ahead of the game?

its not a game. we shouldn't put some international social justice issue on the backs of american businesses and consumers. this is cutting off your nose to spoil your face or burning candles at both ends. however clever the way you care to look at it, i argue that it's not advisable.

If Americans could work at manufacturing again, is that social justice or just wise economic policy?

i feel you've attached a proceed from tariffs which history cannot support. wise economic policy in my view does not entail tariffs or quotas. it effects support for american manufacturing specifically at the job market in the ways which i'd mentioned to Intense earlier. tariffs and quotas are so crude and backwards as far as economic policy, there is a dramatic net-negative to their implementation which we are privy to through our history.

There is more to New York than NYC, Intense. The Finger Lakes, the Appalachian Mountains, Long Island......it's a treasure trove of a state with something for everyone.

It even has a playground for the simple-minded, called Buffalo.

OMG Buffalo, My Son is up there. There is more to NY than NYC??? You are Kidding, Right?

Check out My Picture Album , if you get a chance. I took a run up to the Adirondacks during that last big storm, with the hope of getting some Foliage pictures while the trees still had leaves. Eventful Trip. Long Island??? Where's that??? :lol:

*Laughs*

UB. It is pretty blighted up there. I prefer Washington Apples. :lol: It rained 98% of the time, pretty much except when I had my 85mph blow out up by Lake George. I stayed dry changing my tire at least. Caught some mind blowing Rainbows coming back down.

New York has the best.....crack! That's about it.

Thy rep number shall never rise if thou curseth the finest state in this great nation, Bonano.

Where the hell are you from? New Jersey?

z-envy.jpg

its not a game. we shouldn't put some international social justice issue on the backs of american businesses and consumers. this is cutting off your nose to spoil your face or burning candles at both ends. however clever the way you care to look at it, i argue that it's not advisable.

If Americans could work at manufacturing again, is that social justice or just wise economic policy?

i feel you've attached a proceed from tariffs which history cannot support. wise economic policy in my view does not entail tariffs or quotas. it effects support for american manufacturing specifically at the job market in the ways which i'd mentioned to Intense earlier. tariffs and quotas are so crude and backwards as far as economic policy, there is a dramatic net-negative to their implementation which we are privy to through our history.

Very counter-intuitive, but I will cede your point. What about prohibitting the import of goods made by slaves or children?

Very counter-intuitive, but I will cede your point. What about prohibitting the import of goods made by slaves or children?

Unions destroyed the manufacturing sector in the US with their fat-ass demands all the fucking time.

i suppose that's all good, but i think that something needs to be done about the competitiveness of american products and american businesses in the global marketplace. to be real honest, i dont really care about children on the other side of the planet. if i really did, i think my recourse would entail more than supporting a block of the goods they make. i'd much prefer to buy american when i can, and moreso because i like americans than any concern over chinese kids. there's billions of us. i'm picking favorites in the mix.

i like dolphin-safe tuna. i look for the label that says that certain nets are used. i suppose if no slavery/no kid labor stickers were on shit, i would prefer to buy that, although made in USA would be more welcome. none of my choices makes american businesses more competitive. any attempt by our government to sway this decision would merely impact my freedom, it wont likely change anything here for the better. it would scarcely change china's labor market which has largely improved beyond slavery and child exploitation. i dont consider child labor alone an issue. in some economies, including our own at a point, it is one of the ways which helps children survive or avoid poverty or poverty in their families. i don't care to deny china that at my own expense, but generally, i am against child labor that crosses some imaginary line into exploitation.

i suppose that's all good, but i think that something needs to be done about the competitiveness of american products and american businesses in the global marketplace. to be real honest, i dont really care about children on the other side of the planet. if i really did, i think my recourse would entail more than supporting a block of the goods they make. i'd much prefer to buy american when i can, and moreso because i like americans than any concern over chinese kids. there's billions of us. i'm picking favorites in the mix.

i like dolphin-safe tuna. i look for the label that says that certain nets are used. i suppose if no slavery/no kid labor stickers were on shit, i would prefer to buy that, although made in USA would be more welcome. none of my choices makes american businesses more competitive. any attempt by our government to sway this decision would merely impact my freedom, it wont likely change anything here for the better. it would scarcely change china's labor market which has largely improved beyond slavery and child exploitation. i dont consider child labor alone an issue. in some economies, including our own at a point, it is one of the ways which helps children survive or avoid poverty or poverty in their families. i don't care to deny china that at my own expense, but generally, i am against child labor that crosses some imaginary line into exploitation.

So you don't mind eating tuna out of extinction just as long as no dolphins are harmed? nice.

*Laughs*

UB. It is pretty blighted up there. I prefer Washington Apples. :lol: It rained 98% of the time, pretty much except when I had my 85mph blow out up by Lake George. I stayed dry changing my tire at least. Caught some mind blowing Rainbows coming back down.

Vermont apples. Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

*Laughs*

Funny You should mention Vermont. Coincidentally, when I went up to the Adirondacks, the weather was a let down. So I decided on impulse to take the Ticonderoga Ferry over to Vermont, and have breakfast. My first time there, the last of the Lower 48 States of me to lay foot in. I was Impressed, very impressed with the lay of the land there. Whole different vibe from NY, based on the 2 or so hours I was there. :lol:

I Truly believe that the Key to Tariff's is Reason, Fairness. Any tactic can be misapplied. The question is what serves Justice, and to what level or degree.

Funny You should mention Vermont. Coincidentally, when I went up to the Adirondacks, the weather was a let down. So I decided on impulse to take the Ticonderoga Ferry over to Vermont, and have breakfast. My first time there, the last of the Lower 48 States of me to lay foot in. I was Impressed, very impressed with the lay of the land there. Whole different vibe from NY, based on the 2 or so hours I was there. :lol:

I worked in Burlington from around July 1999 thru May of 2000. I was there 10 days and back home in Oklahoma 4 days for those 10 months. Four hour layover in Chicago both ways. Thank God this was pre-9/11. My very first visit, my company had me fly into Manchester, NH, rent a car and drive across the freaking state of Vermont to get to Burlington. Seems it was "cheaper". Man, is it a different environment from Oklahoma. I'm driving on the interstate in the dark on a partly foggy night. Trees, nothing but trees. No lights.....anywhere. No billboards. No truckstops with gas, food or restrooms at the exits. Here in Oklahoma, there is a truckstop at almost every exit along the interstate with signs that you can see from a mile away.......and billboards every mile announcing you are coming up on the truckstop. I was getting hungry. I needed to pee. I'd see a small sign at an exit that would say gas/food. I'd get off and follow it maybe 10 miles and not pass a single freaking building. I finally pulled over on the side of the road to take a leak and drive back to the interstate. I'm involved in scouting and I love the wilderness, but "interstate wilderness" was new to me. I did learn to love the state and environment. It was kind of nice passing a McDonalds and the sign is only about 6 feet tall and up by the building instead of 100 feet tall and on the curb. One Sunday evening I was watching TV in my hotel room and realized I needed something from the store. I decided I'd wait until the show was over and run to the single Walmart they finally allowed to infiltrate their sleepy town. I pull up about 8:15 PM and its closed. CLOSED!!! In Oklahoma, Walmart doesnt have locks on the doors. They are open 24/7/365. Well, that is an exageration. They close for part of Thanskgiving and Christmas. It was the first Walmart I was ever able to walk up to the checkout stand and not have to wait in line. I have a tom of memories from Vermont, but oddly, the apples were one of my favorites. I found tasty varieties I'd never heard of before. Oh, the other thing about Vermont, no drive-ins like Sonic or fountain drinks at convenience stores. Odd little state.

I worked in Burlington from around July 1999 thru May of 2000. I was there 10 days and back home in Oklahoma 4 days for those 10 months. Four hour layover in Chicago both ways. Thank God this was pre-9/11. My very first visit, my company had me fly into Manchester, NH, rent a car and drive across the freaking state of Vermont to get to Burlington. Seems it was "cheaper". Man, is it a different environment from Oklahoma. I'm driving on the interstate in the dark on a partly foggy night. Trees, nothing but trees. No lights.....anywhere. No billboards. No truckstops with gas, food or restrooms at the exits. Here in Oklahoma, there is a truckstop at almost every exit along the interstate with signs that you can see from a mile away.......and billboards every mile announcing you are coming up on the truckstop. I was getting hungry. I needed to pee. I'd see a small sign at an exit that would say gas/food. I'd get off and follow it maybe 10 miles and not pass a single freaking building. I finally pulled over on the side of the road to take a leak and drive back to the interstate. I'm involved in scouting and I love the wilderness, but "interstate wilderness" was new to me. I did learn to love the state and environment. It was kind of nice passing a McDonalds and the sign is only about 6 feet tall and up by the building instead of 100 feet tall and on the curb. One Sunday evening I was watching TV in my hotel room and realized I needed something from the store. I decided I'd wait until the show was over and run to the single Walmart they finally allowed to infiltrate their sleepy town. I pull up about 8:15 PM and its closed. CLOSED!!! In Oklahoma, Walmart doesnt have locks on the doors. They are open 24/7/365. Well, that is an exageration. They close for part of Thanskgiving and Christmas. It was the first Walmart I was ever able to walk up to the checkout stand and not have to wait in line. I have a tom of memories from Vermont, but oddly, the apples were one of my favorites. I found tasty varieties I'd never heard of before. Oh, the other thing about Vermont, no drive-ins like Sonic or fountain drinks at convenience stores. Odd little state.

The Key to the NY Thruway's is the Rest Stops or Having good GPS Search functions around the Cities. Down State is 24/7 on allot more things.

Forum List

Back