Should The Rich Be Required To Pay Higher Taxes In the US?

Graduated income tax rates with deductions and credits incentivize a wide variety of positive, tax-advantaged investment and economic activity that manifest on both national and local levels, and both for individuals and corporations. A flat tax would eliminate all of that positive activity.

Personally, I think we should poll "the rich" on this. I have many advisory clients who are worth seven figures and several worth eight figures. It has been my (admittedly anecdotal) observation that a vast majority of them are perfectly comfortable paying graduated rates, and that even adding a couple of new, higher margins would not cause them to become suicidal or damage the economy.

What some guy screams on the radio is one thing, real life is another.
The government shouldn't be deciding which investments are "positive" and which aren't. The government almost never makes good decisions. Whether the rich are willing to pay more is only one question. Some are and some aren't. The real issue is will society benefit by taking their income. It won't. The money taxed away would probably be invested in stocks or in their businesses. All taxing the rich does is reduce economic growth.
I think the various tax deductions and credits work very well, and they absolutely do incentivize strategies that put more money in motion.

What benefits society is a subjective question. Does a society benefit overall when those who lack the capacity (for any of a wide range of reasons) are provided a higher foundation, even at the expense of a certain amount of economic dynamism? Yeah, I definitely think so.

There is obviously a tipping point there, and going too far in either direction is the problem.

They mostly incentivize mal-investment. You're right, what benefits society is subjective. That's why it should be left up to individuals to decide what benefits themselves. Government will never make the correct decision. Whenever it has tried the results are disastrous. The recent housing fiasco is a classic example.

Graduated income tax rates with deductions and credits incentivize a wide variety of positive, tax-advantaged investment and economic activity that manifest on both national and local levels, and both for individuals and corporations. A flat tax would eliminate all of that positive activity.

Personally, I think we should poll "the rich" on this. I have many advisory clients who are worth seven figures and several worth eight figures. It has been my (admittedly anecdotal) observation that a vast majority of them are perfectly comfortable paying graduated rates, and that even adding a couple of new, higher margins would not cause them to become suicidal or damage the economy.

The government shouldn't be deciding which investments are "positive" and which aren't. The government almost never makes good decisions. Whether the rich are willing to pay more is only one question. Some are and some aren't. The real issue is will society benefit by taking their income. It won't. The money taxed away would probably be invested in stocks or in their businesses. All taxing the rich does is reduce economic growth.
I think the various tax deductions and credits work very well, and they absolutely do incentivize strategies that put more money in motion.

What benefits society is a subjective question. Does a society benefit overall when those who lack the capacity (for any of a wide range of reasons) are provided a higher foundation, even at the expense of a certain amount of economic dynamism? Yeah, I definitely think so.

There is obviously a tipping point there, and going too far in either direction is the problem.
Mac, I am not a trained monkey who likes to do tricks and bores the he'll out of me during tax time.... I hate waiting in lines

Just tell me what I owe.

The language is important. In business expenses are a deduction but it has to be because that's what it costs to do business. If you made $500 on a $1,000 job you made $500, not $1,000, although that's what you collected. Taxes should be based on income, that's what I always understood a flat tax to be.

That's a fancy way of saying the welfare tax checks are needed for the velocity of money.

In other words you don't want the 200 Billion a year that we have to borrow to pay out to go away.

Graduated income tax rates with deductions and credits incentivize a wide variety of positive, tax-advantaged investment and economic activities that manifest on both national and local levels, and both for individuals and corporations. A flat tax would eliminate all of that positive activity.

More input........................explain...............

Are you saying the welfare checks of over 200 Billion a year should remain?
Are you referring to the tax write offs to Charities......................
Are you referring to them spending more money to write it off for tax purposes........

15e1a47cd30c55bd48f595ca8c3dc5e3.jpg
Sure, write-offs including charities, mortgage interest rate (especially), corporate capital costs, muni/treasury bonds, a zillion of them.

The amount we actually spend on "welfare" is tough to track down, because the OMB only has a category called "Income Security", which lumps together all kinds of payments such as retirement & disability insurance, federal employee retirement & DI, unemployment, a wide range of things.

Yes, I'm fine with "welfare", as long as there is some kind of cultural commitment to ending knee-jerking towards victimization and this inter-generational dependence on "someone else". Which we do not have.

That's a fancy way of saying the welfare tax checks are needed for the velocity of money. In other words you don't want the 200 Billion a year that we have to borrow to pay out to go away.
No, I'm talking about regular, income-earning taxpayers who are incentivized to invest, not welfare recipients.

Mac, I am not a trained monkey who likes to do tricks and bores the he'll out of me during tax time.... I hate waiting in lines

Just tell me what I owe.
Well, whatever your effective tax rate is.

Graduated income tax rates with deductions and credits incentivize a wide variety of positive, tax-advantaged investment and economic activities that manifest on both national and local levels, and both for individuals and corporations. A flat tax would eliminate all of that positive activity.

Are you referring to them spending more money to write it off for tax purposes........

Sure, write-offs including charities, mortgage interest rate (especially), corporate capital costs, muni/treasury bonds, a zillion of them.

The amount we actually spend on "welfare" is tough to track down, because the OMB only has a category called "Income Security", which lumps together all kinds of payments such as retirement & disability insurance, federal employee retirement & DI, unemployment, a wide range of things.

Yes, I'm fine with "welfare", as long as there is some kind of cultural commitment to ending knee-jerking towards victimization and this inter-generational dependence on "someone else". Which we do not have.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just tell me what I owe.

Its boring as he'll, what do I look like a coupon clipper?

Not into scamming the system

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just tell me what I owe.

Its boring as he'll, what do I look like a coupon clipper?

Not into scamming the system
Well, that's what your tax guy is for.

I recommend we go back to the original 7 tax brackets and rates of the 1913 income tax and adjust for inflation:
1.0% $0 - $463,826
2.0% $463,827 - $1,159,566
3.0% $1,159,567 - $1,739,348
4.0% $1,739,349 - $2,319,131
5.0% $2,319,132 - $5,797,828
6.0% $5,797,829 - $11,595,657
7.0% $11,595,658 -

No.... Everyone and I mean everyone should pay the same percentage. It is the only fair way to do it.
Everyone has a stake in this country, so everyone should contribute, no matter if you only make a dollar or if you make a billion dollars, everyone pays.

We need a simple plan.................

KISS.......................

Keep It Simple Stupid...............

Simplifying the code makes it harder to con it, and easier to figure your bottom line. I made x amount of money, and I pay y amount of taxes............

The Simpler the better...........in business taxation it still comes down to receipts versus expenses.

Tax season is such a waste of time, only liberals love it and the rich to see how much they can scam the system or any other boring ass person trying to find a receipt so they can save $25 bucks.

I don't care if I got ripped off get me out of H.R. block.

Simplifying the code makes it harder to con it, and easier to figure your bottom line. I made x amount of money, and I pay y amount of taxes............

The Simpler the better...........in business taxation it still comes down to receipts versus expenses.

The only way to do that is get rid of the income tax and go to a consumption based tax.

I guess so much for we are EQUAL in this country eh? Why anyone they deem "RICH" would want to stay here and invest their monies? Can't blame them for leaving when you have wolves like Bernie, Hillary and their cult followers wanting to take what isn't there's from them

The only way to do that is get rid of the income tax and go to a consumption based tax.
It could be done either way..........but the consumption based tax would be the simplest form of it........Under business taxes it will still have to have many rules and regs for filing..................But it doesn't need to be the 70 k pages we have today..............

It needs an overhaul to the code even if we don't go to a different system.

Forum List

Back