Should The Rich Be Required To Pay Higher Taxes In the US?

MathewSmith

May 24, 2015
I think the rich should ABSOLUTELY pay more because the majority of them are selfish and don't care about anybody but themselves! Trust me, if you are a millionaire, it is NOT going to hurt you if you just pay a little more in taxes. I believe that if you are a good and righteous person, you would want to help the poor or people that are less fortunate. It's as simple as that! People need to stop being so selfish.

Of course they should, but they won't

Because those same rich are the ones who are buying the politicians to get even more tax cuts so they can create jobs....

But you already know that

trickle-down_0-350x2823.jpg

:banana:

Due to the enormous corruption and cronyism in our federal government, many wealthy use their expensive lawyers to get out of paying taxes. The current tax code is 70k pages...time for a change.

Let's go to a simple flat tax. That would eliminate the political class' efforts to enrich their donors/owners.

I think the rich should ABSOLUTELY pay more because the majority of them are selfish and don't care about anybody but themselves! Trust me, if you are a millionaire, it is NOT going to hurt you if you just pay a little more in taxes. I believe that if you are a good and righteous person, you would want to help the poor or people that are less fortunate. It's as simple as that! People need to stop being so selfish.

The top 10% of wage earners in this country already pay over 70% of the collected income taxes in this country. If that's not enough, then how much more should they pay? 75%? 80%? 95%?

About 45% of our population pays no income tax at all. Maybe it's about time those on the bottom start paying their fare share for a change. And remember, the US is the most generous people in the entire world. We give more of our money to the so-called poor than anybody, and it's not those Wal-Mart people that are giving, it's those greedy millionaires you speak of.

We should teach all our kids that redistribution has a 100% fail rate. Think of all the "Rich must pay!" posts that would never be made, it would be great for the environment too

Due to the enormous corruption and cronyism in our federal government, many wealthy use their expensive lawyers to get out of paying taxes. The current tax code is 70k pages...time for a change.

Let's go to a simple flat tax. That would eliminate the political class' efforts to enrich their donors/owners.

I would be behind a progressive consumption tax, that way everybody has a dog in the race. A flat tax doesn't work for a lot of people. For instance, I'm a landlord and I have tons of expenses I have to write-off. Without those write-offs, I would be forced to sell because the property wouldn't produce any profit. Either that or I would have to raise rents so high that people wouldn't be able to afford to live here.

The top 10% of wage earners in this country already pay over 70% of the collected income taxes in this country. If that's not enough, then how much more should they pay? 75%? 80%? 95%?

About 45% of our population pays no income tax at all. Maybe it's about time those on the bottom start paying their fare share for a change. And remember, the US is the most generous people in the entire world. We give more of our money to the so-called poor than anybody, and it's not those Wal-Mart people that are giving, it's those greedy millionaires you speak of.
but but but but... What about local taxes? Those poor bastards in cook county Illinois voted for democrats and now have to pay a 10.25% sales tax...

Meanwhile I left that place, vote for republicans in South Carolina and only have to pay a 6% sales tax :)

I would be behind a progressive consumption tax, that way everybody has a dog in the race. A flat tax doesn't work for a lot of people. For instance, I'm a landlord and I have tons of expenses I have to write-off. Without those write-offs, I would be forced to sell because the property wouldn't produce any profit. Either that or I would have to raise rents so high that people wouldn't be able to afford to live here.
How would your receipts versus expenses change under a Flat Tax system?
You would still be able to account for costs versus revenues under a flat tax system. Unless you are using loop holes, which everyone does, to find ways of paying less tax.

How would this force you to raise rents?

Worked before

One thing we do know is that Supply Side Economics has been a failure

We could go to a simple progressive tax that would be fairer.

That would be?

That would be?

Several rates instead of one, but all the complexity that the flat tax removes gets taken out as well.

I should say though that I don't agree with having an oversimplified tax plan. There should always be some room for one to reduce one's taxes by various worthwhile means.

You would still be able to account for costs versus revenues under a flat tax system. Unless you are using loop holes, which everyone does, to find ways of paying less tax.

Much of the rent collected goes towards bills. Yes, you write that money off because you used the rent money to pay those bills. A flat tax system (the way I've always understood it) would eliminate those write-offs. That means I would have to pay tax on all rental collections even though it merely passed through my hands to another entity. That could put me in a higher tax bracket as well when you add my income from work.

Much of the rent collected goes towards bills. Yes, you write that money off because you used the rent money to pay those bills. A flat tax system (the way I've always understood it) would eliminate those write-offs. That means I would have to pay tax on all rental collections even though it merely passed through my hands to another entity. That could put me in a higher tax bracket as well when you add my income from work.
I don't see that as a problem under the Flat Tax. As you would still calculate the final profit the same way with net receipts and expenses anyway.

That would be?

Several rates instead of one, but all the complexity that the flat tax removes gets taken out as well.
We have several tax rates, I don't follow you.

That would be?

We have several tax rates, I don't follow you.
I can't speak for him................wouldn't want to anyway...........but it would be a progressive Flat Tax based on income..............with those in poverty levels paying no taxes or a very small percentage of taxes.....As the income goes up the bracket percentages change based on income as they do now.................

The biggest argument I get from people like the NY poster is that it would remove the tax system welfare checks. aka the Tax Credits under the system that give returns to those already paying no Federal Taxes now.......with the exception of SS and Medicare taxes which are matched by the employer...............This amounts to roughly 200 Billion a year plus every year in returns under the current system.

It's a hand out system along with the other hand outs that are already on the table. With the newest one being proposed to give the poor free internet................Increasing the Social Safety nets already on the books................

It is guaranteed to raise the costs of Gov't, and guarantees that we will continue to go down the path of unsustainable debt.

I don't see that as a problem under the Flat Tax. As you would still calculate the final profit the same way with net receipts and expenses anyway.

Well then it's not really a flat tax system then. Those deductions are still write-offs and have to be itemized for the IRS. In other words, nothing would change. A flat tax system is designed to eliminate those write-offs so everybody is on the same playing field. That's why I brought up the idea of a progressive consumption tax. There are a lot of people who don't pay any kind of tax at all. Many of them are in fields of work that are illegal or under the table. A consumption tax hits everybody whether you're a school teacher or a prostitute because we all need to buy things.

Well then it's not really a flat tax system then. Those deductions are still write-offs and have to be itemized for the IRS. In other words, nothing would change. A flat tax system is designed to eliminate those write-offs so everybody is on the same playing field. That's why I brought up the idea of a progressive consumption tax. There are a lot of people who don't pay any kind of tax at all. Many of them are in fields of work that are illegal or under the table. A consumption tax hits everybody whether you're a school teacher or a prostitute because we all need to buy things.
Not really..............business tax versus wage taxation is a different animal.
If you are running a business with x revenue versus y expenses to run the business it is still an x minus y equation to figure income.

Unless you are doing creative accounting under the current system to pay less in taxes on income.

Forum List

Back