Should the President...

Can the president dissolve a media outlet when that outlet criticizes him?

• Yes! The fake news is the enemy of the people

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No! We live under a constitution that protects the press

Votes: 26 92.9%

• Total voters
Should the president dissolve media outlets that post criticisms of him? Should the president determine that a media outlet I see posting "fake news" and summarily dissolve them?
This is a strawman argument. Noone said to dissolve them.
They are killing themselves. They are overtly partisan and they don't eve try to hide it.
So in 2024, they will say the same things about the next republican, the cats out, cant put it back in. The press is leftwing and an arm of the democrat party.

Lou Dobbs, Trump ally and sycophant certainly did.

On air, on FOX.
I haven't seen that. Was it a joke? he is in the press, I really doubt he's advocating that. But hey one guy in the media out of thousands that supports Trump, holy cow, it's way too many!

Oh, no. Dobbs was deadly serious. He called for Trump to have the power to 'shut down' media outlets he determines are deceminating 'fake news'.

"And when I say shut down, I mean SHUT DOWN' was Dobbs summary of his position. He wasn't joking at all.

Trump praises Fox Business host who urged him to "stop fake news and shut 'em down"

And Dobbs isn't just some random reporter. He's an obsequious Trump supporter whom Trump has granted essentially unprecedented access to his administration:

"Donald Trump is said to love Fox Business star Lou Dobbs so much that he has him patched through to the Oval Office’s speaker phone for important meetings, undermining reported attempts to keep the president on a tight leash when it comes to information access.

Trump 'loves Fox’s Lou Dobbs so much that he has him participate in Oval Office meetings'

Kinda scary.

I'd like to see the interview to see. They said Trumps joke about Clinton and Russia finding her emails were serious and they weren't, they were throw away lines near the end of speeches and the tone is obviously sarcastic.
Well if he was serious, he is wrong. I don't' ascribe to that idea, but the media is very unfair and very partisan/ideological.

Should the president dissolve media outlets that post criticisms of him? Should the president determine that a media outlet I see posting "fake news" and summarily dissolve them?
They are killing themselves. They are overtly partisan and they don't eve try to hide it.
So in 2024, they will say the same things about the next republican, the cats out, cant put it back in. The press is leftwing and an arm of the democrat party.

On air, on FOX.
I haven't seen that. Was it a joke? he is in the press, I really doubt he's advocating that. But hey one guy in the media out of thousands that supports Trump, holy cow, it's way too many!

Oh, no. Dobbs was deadly serious. He called for Trump to have the power to 'shut down' media outlets he determines are deceminating 'fake news'.

"And when I say shut down, I mean SHUT DOWN' was Dobbs summary of his position. He wasn't joking at all.

Trump praises Fox Business host who urged him to "stop fake news and shut 'em down"

And Dobbs isn't just some random reporter. He's an obsequious Trump supporter whom Trump has granted essentially unprecedented access to his administration:

"Donald Trump is said to love Fox Business star Lou Dobbs so much that he has him patched through to the Oval Office’s speaker phone for important meetings, undermining reported attempts to keep the president on a tight leash when it comes to information access.

Trump 'loves Fox’s Lou Dobbs so much that he has him participate in Oval Office meetings'

Kinda scary.
Well if he was serious, he is wrong. I don't' ascribe to that idea, but the media is very unfair and very partisan/ideological.

I appreciate you acknowledging that its wrong. I think so too. I would oppose any president trying to shut down a news outlet one the same basis.

And my support of actual free speech isn't politically motivated. If the government tried to shut down Alex Jones, I'd be protesting in the streets shoulder to shoulder with that batshit fear mongering nut job too.

Last edited:

On air, on FOX.

Kinda scary.

I appreciate you acknowledging that its wrong. I think so too. I would oppose any president trying to shut down a news outlet one the same basis.
Yeah I agree, I'm for free speech for everyone. The only things I don't like are threats, releasing personal information (the media released gun owners addresses before)//ironically people didn't mess with them.

Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders - CNN this is wrong and I would shut them down for that. not cool at all. Same when Trump released Lindsey Grams personal phone number, that wasn't cool either.

No president has the power you suggest, fool.

Your snideness kind of hit a wall at the first word you were replying to.

'Should'.

Try again. This time not being pointlessly dickish.

On air, on FOX.

Kinda scary.

I'd like to see the interview to see. They said Trumps joke about Clinton and Russia finding her emails were serious and they weren't, they were throw away lines near the end of speeches and the tone is obviously sarcastic.
Was it the medias lie when Trump said why shouldn't we believe Putin ?? And was putin lying when he said he supported Trump?

No president has the power you suggest, fool.
I agree, and thank God, whether it's Trump, Clinton, Obama or Bush, I wouldn't want any of them able to do that.

I agree. Its not a power the government should have in general.

Obama tried too. He placed illegal surveillance on a number of reporters including James Rosen of Fox News.

Obama tried too. He placed illegal surveillance on a number of reporters including James Rosen of Fox News.

Surveilling a reporter isn't the same thing as shutting down a news agency.

/——/ No. The president has no right to shut down fake news no matter how fake it is. Your Strawman argument is stupid. However Obozo had every right to bar Fox News from Air Fart One because he’s a democRAT.

On air, on FOX.

Kinda scary.

Yeah I agree, I'm for free speech for everyone. The only things I don't like are threats, releasing personal information (the media released gun owners addresses before)//ironically people didn't mess with them.

Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders - CNN this is wrong and I would shut them down for that. not cool at all. Same when Trump released Lindsey Grams personal phone number, that wasn't cool either.
How about lies? I imagine you don't like them either ,,,like Obama wasn't born in America?

Is the press really the enemy of the people?

The press is supposed to reports the antics of the politicians without bias, not join one side against the other.

The mainstream press is completely in the Democrats' pocket. They are not doing their job but rather directly working for a party that is an enemy of the people so yes, they are an enemy of the people.

Kinda scary.

How about lies? I imagine you don't like them either ,,,like Obama wasn't born in America?

Some juries are still out on that matter, but personally I don't care if he was born at Mount Vernon. He is no American.

Obama is far more an American combined than any seven alt right posters on this Board

Dissolve media outlets, nah. Individual reporters should be dropped head first through a prehog at a rendering plant, that's as close as you'll get to dissolving them with out huge vats of acid and ya never know they might pop up in their dogs Alpo. LMAO

Forum List

Back