should the boy scouts of america

Gays expects the government to protect them, extend rights to them and allow for their views in society. Much of this comes at a cost to government. I think America is big enough for the Boy Scouts too. Unless you have some sort of problem with a person being trustworthy, brave, clean, morally straight and thrifty? You folks in D.C. are excluded from answering that one. lol

Gays expects the government to protect them, extend rights to them and allow for their views in society. Much of this comes at a cost to government. I think America is big enough for the Boy Scouts too. Unless you have some sort of problem with a person being trustworthy, brave, clean, morally straight and thrifty? You folks in D.C. are excluded from answering that one. lol

As I said, the BSA is allowed to keep out whomever they want...don't forget, it's not just gays and the children of gays they keep out. Atheists and the children of atheists aren't allowed in too. But don't expect to get government sweetheart deals while doing it...that's all.

As I said, the BSA is allowed to keep out whomever they want...don't forget, it's not just gays and the children of gays they keep out. Atheists and the children of atheists aren't allowed in too. But don't expect to get government sweetheart deals while doing it...that's all.

bodecea, you seem to be ignoring that I am pointing out it cuts both ways. In this case, for gays too. Government, by its very nature, redistributes money, power or priviledge. Hence, less government is good.

bodecea, you seem to be ignoring that I am pointing out it cuts both ways. In this case, for gays too. Government, by its very nature, redistributes money, power or priviledge. Hence, less government is good.

That is fine and dandy...but the BSA is a private organization. They went to a LOT of trouble to get themselves declared that so that they CAN discriminate against gay, atheists and their children. Why would they then expect to get better deals on leasing government land, etc. than other private organizations? The BSA wants its cake and eat it too. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen.

That is fine and dandy...but the BSA is a private organization. They went to a LOT of trouble to get themselves declared that so that they CAN discriminate against gay, atheists and their children. Why would they then expect to get better deals on leasing government land, etc. than other private organizations? The BSA wants its cake and eat it too. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen.

Yes I agree- the issue here is not whether a private organization can keep out gays and atheists, etc.. but that they are a religious private organization who gets government aid to use PUBLIC land- and that is a problem constitutionally, because it delves into separation of church and state- insomuch as it is not adequately separating the two..

I find it freaking funny when people who claim to be conservatives defend the boy scouts getting government sweetheart deals.

Oh and why was this topic made? The people in the link were asking the BSA to change their policies they weren't asking government to force them to change.

I find it freaking funny when people who claim to be conservatives defend the boy scouts getting government sweetheart deals.

Oh and why was this topic made? The people in the link were asking the BSA to change their policies they weren't asking government to force them to change.

Not true- The "scouting for all" group WAS seeking to have the government drop the BSA's lease of public land, because they are a religious organization.

Not true- The "scouting for all" group WAS seeking to have the government drop the BSA's lease of public land, because they are a religious organization.

No I mean the original link, it just says they're protesting the boy scouts. Although asking the government to drop support isn't the same thing as 'force them to change policies'.

No I mean the original link, it just says they're protesting the boy scouts. Although asking the government to drop support isn't the same thing as 'force them to change policies'.

Obviously they're targeting the boy scouts- but people who, say, protest abortion in front of the Supreme Court are speaking to the government, even if they have signs about planned parenthood and such- as was this group- targeting BSA, but with a greater purpose than just to knock down one little group.

I'm still left wondering why queers would give a shit about an organization that doesn't want them. Nothing is stopping anyone from starting a queer-friendly version of the boy scouts.

Of course that still pales in comparison to the irony that the boy scouts are totally gay.

I'm still left wondering why queers would give a shit about an organization that doesn't want them. Nothing is stopping anyone from starting a queer-friendly version of the boy scouts.

Of course that still pales in comparison to the irony that the boy scouts are totally gay.

That is an excellent point.. :lol:

In general, I don't know where people got the idea that because organizations might take a handout from the government that their constitutional rights go bye-bye. I mean, in reason, we're not talking about a hate group like the KKK or some Neo-Nazi group organizing on the taxpayers' dime. I'm not even sure BSA is "publicly funded" in the way many people are thinking, i.e. the government cuts them a check every month. I could be wrong, though. To me it's telling that some people don't care about any of the good the Boy Scouts does and only care about the socio-political stuff that I bet probably isn't even that big of a deal to the people working within the boy scouts.

Not true

The BSA does not keep out the children of gays or the children of atheists. In actuality, they don't even ask you if you are gay or whether you are an atheist. Its when a member openly states their beliefs that they will be kicked out.
Kind of a Don't ask...don't tell

Not true

The BSA does not keep out the children of gays or the children of atheists. In actuality, they don't even ask you if you are gay or whether you are an atheist. Its when a member openly states their beliefs that they will be kicked out.

It seems that way- but it looks like some of the bsa leaders have done some investigating into their members belief systems and lifestyles, and booted them for it..

Not true

It seems that way- but it looks like some of the bsa leaders have done some investigating into their members belief systems and lifestyles, and booted them for it..

Each Council has its own agenda. Most troops act independently and don't really care

I'm still left wondering why you are only focusing on the gays when atheists and the CHILDREN of gay parents and the CHILDREN of atheist parents are excluded.

My child is quite straight as are most children of gay parents. So....why are straight children excluded because of their parents? Why are children who may actually believe in a deity or more excluded because of their parents' lack of religious faith?

Not true

Each Council has its own agenda. Most troops act independently and don't really care

Any local chapter who allows gays/atheists/children of same are THREATENED by the National BSA with being dropped as an official Boy Scout chapter/troop.

Not true

I'm sorry, but if they know, the child is kicked out....or not allowed to join.

BSA Discrimination.org:Home -> BSA & Gays -> Gay Parents & BSA

Skepticblog » Boy Scouts: You’ve Been Cast Out

Just in a quick google.

Not true

I'm sorry, but if they know, the child is kicked out....or not allowed to join.

BSA Discrimination.org:Home -> BSA & Gays -> Gay Parents & BSA

Skepticblog » Boy Scouts: You’ve Been Cast Out

Just in a quick google.

What my daughter has told me from her experience as a boy scout in this area, at a troop level, they don't really care. It's not something that is discussed or even thought about. And it wasn't asked on her application.

Oh. I showed her my post a ways back on this thread and I did make a mistake; she was paid staff, not volunteer.

I'm still left wondering why you are only focusing on the gays when atheists and the CHILDREN of gay parents and the CHILDREN of atheist parents are excluded.

My child is quite straight as are most children of gay parents. So....why are straight children excluded because of their parents? Why are children who may actually believe in a deity or more excluded because of their parents' lack of religious faith?

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend your delicate sensibilities. :razz:

Truth is, I honestly don't give a shit about the boy scouts. I would never have anything to do with them and wouldn't let my kids join either. But I support any private organization's right to discriminate.

Forum List

Back