should the boy scouts of america

I would not unless he was a father to one of the boys. With that said, I am not anti gay, but I am pro Scouts. It would not be a stretch to imagine many hetero boys refusing to join because it may be branded a gay organization. The boys already get enough grief for wearing uniforms. Allowing gays would be the beginning of the end in my opinion.

Seems to me that the people who bitch about moan about the BSA "discriminating" against homosexuals in leadership positions are the same people who want to excoriate the Catholic Church for NOT having the same policy the BSA has.

Can someone please teach the leftists in this country the meaning of the word "consistency"?

How is this situation materially different from the 1995 Supreme Court case Hurley vs. Irish-American GLIB of Boston, where they UNANIMOUSLY decided that St. Patrick's day parade organizers could legally exclude GLIB from participating?

You know the Depratment of Defense spends money on the BSA, so yes it is endorsement. Other places rent out land to the scouts for a dollar.

I know this? Really? How do you know I know this? I don't know that I know this. What I do know is that I wouldn't take your word for it if you told me the sky was above me. Cite sources.

No but the government should not be giving them a damn cent then.

Please cite for us the government "giving them a damn cent". Include sources. Thank you.

How Your Tax Dollars Support the Boy Scouts of America

The Humanist? Really?

Now cite me a SOURCE, not a bunch of leftist bullshit that makes me laugh at you more than I usually do. Do you need me to define the word "source" for you?

No but the government should not be giving them a damn cent then.

Please cite for us the government "giving them a damn cent". Include sources. Thank you.

Boy Scouts Jamboree to stay at Army base - Washington Times

"Though no level of government directly funds the operating budget of the BSA..."

:lol:

"Though no level of government directly funds the operating budget of the BSA..."

It only means they're not entirely government funded, learn to read.

The Boy Scouts of America cannot discriminate. It's simple - NO DISCRIMINATION !

As a private organization the Boy Scouts are free to admit or dismiss anyone they want to. However, that does not make it right. The Scouts took a major hit in funding when they won their court case to dismiss gays. They will also dismiss anyone who is an atheist.

It really comes down to the Scout Oath with them and they do not consider gays to be "Clean" and "morally straight". These views are archaic in our society and the scouts need to enter the 21st century. Their intolerance of gays and atheists is contrary to the ideals of scouting

Anyone?

How is this situation materially different from the 1995 Supreme Court case Hurley vs. Irish-American GLIB of Boston, where they UNANIMOUSLY decided that St. Patrick's day parade organizers could legally exclude GLIB from participating?

The Humanist? Really?

Now cite me a SOURCE, not a bunch of leftist bullshit that makes me laugh at you more than I usually do. Do you need me to define the word "source" for you?

Can you or can you not refute anything said there.

I also don't waste time downtown, refuting the homeless people shouting on the street corners about the government beaming lasers into their heads to read their minds.

"...But whether the Boy Scouts is private is not clear, and the organization must bear some responsibility for the blurring of lines. That responsibility is also an opportunity. The Boy Scouts can strike a blow for the right of free association by altering its policies.

I am not referring to the Boy Scouts' exclusionary membership policies, but to the policy of accepting massive government support, which is the cause of so many blurred lines.

Where is the line clearly drawn?

Public means "of or pertaining to the people; belonging to the people…opposed to private." A public place or organization is typically tax-funded or subsidized, and no one individual has a right to greater access than any other. National parks are an example.

Private means "not available for public use, control, or participation…Belonging to a particular person or persons, as opposed to the public or the government." A private place or organization receives no public funding; people become members through invitation or through policies defined by the owners. Your living room is an example.

Critics of the Boy Scouts, like the American Civil Liberties Union, make one strong argument against the organization's private status. The Boy Scouts enjoys massive and unique tax-funded support from governments both local and federal. On the local level, for example, the city of San Diego was targeted because it allowed the Boy Scouts' headquarters to operate in a city-owned park for $1 per year and to use other city-owned facilities without any rent.

On the federal level, the Pentagon provided an estimated $6 to $8 million from 1997 to 2001 to assist a Boy Scouts Jamboree -- an event which is traditionally held on military bases.

Linda Hills of the ACLU aptly states, "The Boy Scouts can't have it both ways…If they truly are a private religious organization, free to engage in any form of discrimination they choose, then they are not entitled to a government subsidy."

On June 22, U.S. District Judge Blanche Manning (Illinois) agreed. She ruled against continuing the Jamboree's subsidy and, so, refused BSA continued access both to military bases and assistance such as transportation."

More: FOXNews.com - Is The Boy Scouts of America Public or Private? - Opinion

The Humanist? Really?

Can you or can you not refute anything said there.

I also don't waste time downtown, refuting the homeless people shouting on the street corners about the government beaming lasers into their heads to read their minds.

I'll take that as a no.

Last edited:
Give the scouts time...
They are a 100 year old organization that is set in its ways. There have always been gays in Scouting, there still are. Most troops take a "don't ask..don't tell" position on homosexuality and atheism. Neither comes into play in most troops.
Scouting is a good program and teaches boys valuable skills while exposing them to experiences not available to many boys.

Ugh I think its really a bad program.. My son was in boy scouts (cub scouts, I guess) for a total of like 3 months before I pulled him out. It is very disorganized, and there is a lacking of any real ambition within the program..

Boy Scouts of America

The BSA believes "an avowed homosexual is not a role model for the values espoused in the Scout Oath and Law". Although it officially makes no effort to discover the sexual orientation of any person, BSA scout leaders have investigated and expelled non-avowed homosexuals [1] (BSA Discrimination.org:Home -> Site Updates -> not_found). Lawsuits over this matter have gone as high as the United States Supreme Court, which ruled that the BSA is a private association with the right to set its own standards for membership and leadership.

Many critics, especially internal ones, point out that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the single largest donor to BSA, has threatened to remove all support if the policy against homosexuals is removed, and that this is the single largest reason for the policy. The LDS Church in Canada funds the Scouting organization there, in spite of an explicit policy allowing homosexual leaders, and also funds the Girl Scouts of America[?] who similarly tolerate openly homosexual leadership. See also Boy Scouts of America v. Dale

Apparently, as a private organization, they have the right to make decisions like these- just because they are a private organization- The one thing that I think causes the gays pushing for tolerance is that the LDS of is open to homosexual leadership in both Canada and in the US, of Girl Scouts troops, and as of now, open to homosexual leadership of boy scout troops in Canada. The LDS, according to this article, used to be okay with Unitarian Universalist church patches, also, until they decided that the church allowed for too much gayness.

This is another example of ignorance from within religious denominations that are already lacking in approval from the majority of Americans.. You would think they would work on their PR strategy, and find a way of gaining people's respect without being all weird and inconsistent...

And if the goal of churches was to be popular and liked by the secular world, that would matter. Perhaps YOU should learn more about your topic before you speak, because not everyone is concerned about winning Miss Congeniality.

Taking my links out when you quote me does not suddenly mean that I did not do MY research.. TYVM.

OOPS.. Brain Fart..

Edit: Ignoring the content of my posts does not then make the information exist any less..

Last edited:
I live in San Diego and a lot of this stems from the BSA getting (or used to get) a sweetheart lease from the City of San Diego for their camp in Balboa Park.

Once the BSA applied for and received their dispensation allowing them to deny membership to anyone they deemed unworthy (Atheists and homosexuals and the children of homosexuals seem to be the only ones unworthy at this point)...an atheist family sued to make the BSA pay full private organization lease prices at Balboa Park....AS THEY SHOULD. It is totally acceptable for the BSA to discriminate as a private religious organization. But, they should not turn around and still expect the SPECIAL deals they used to get from city, county, state, and federal government entities. They need to pay the same rate as any other private organization would have to.

Forum List

Back