this family is starting to get on my nerves

If they have someone who admitted to killing him, I can see why they want it reopened. Nobody wants a child killer out there. What can it hurt to have the police question the guy?

• Banned

Oh?

I dont know.. On the surface (surely a spin by media) it seems pretty clear cut that the evidence should get a second look..

How long has this been going on, and what are the "holes in the arguments" these alleged experts have given?

1. to me is hiriing six diffrent private invesgations.

2. if someone admit it.. he would of been charge and put in jail

3. not enough edvince of it.

Oh?

I dont know.. On the surface (surely a spin by media) it seems pretty clear cut that the evidence should get a second look..

How long has this been going on, and what are the "holes in the arguments" these alleged experts have given?

1. to me is hiriing six diffrent private invesgations.

Well, I think its just one private investigator, and six experts.. but regardless, this is not conclusive that foul play should not be suspected- on the contrary, I would listen to the experts..
2. if someone admit it.. he would of been charge and put in jail

Maybe- it is dependent on the person who admitted it, their mental health, intentions of confessing, etc- some people with homicidal fantasies like to play out their fantasies in real life by confessing to murders.. Its a way of taking credit, without actually killing anyone.. And this happens regularly. Also, it should be noted that there are a lot of convicted murderers who get tons of fan mail and marriage proposals from people who also have a pathological obsession with murder, too.. A confession (from someone innocent even) does not equate to there never having been a murder.

3. not enough edvince of it.

Sometimes things are overlooked as a result of human error.. The family said they climb 2.5 miles up the mountain every year to remind themselves that it would have been nearly impossible for a 10 year old boy to make that climb. And the plausibility of a small child going up, when they are lost, rather than going down, which would probably make more sense- seems pretty low to me.

I think this is a very interesting case.. And there are a LOT more reasons to believe there was foul play.. Check this story out:

Disturbing memories in McCarthy case | CapeCodOnline.com

As the family prepared to return home, Patric was reported missing by his stepbrothers. Five days later, he was found dead in a location so remote it puzzled even experienced searchers and left those who knew Patric best — as a "shy, timid boy" — perplexed.

Police records obtained by the Times show that investigators considered foul play throughout the five-day search. Family members were interviewed about possible custody disputes and beefs between Patric and his stepbrothers.
Yet, when Patric's body was found, foul play was ruled out within a matter of hours without state police detectives or the medical examiner ever going to the scene where his body was found. Those records also show that police were administering a polygraph test to Margaret McCarthy, Patric's stepmother, the day his body was discovered.
There are also inconsistent statements made by the two stepbrothers, Gabe Fritz, 12, and Noah Fritz, 7, about where Patric disappeared, according to the reports.
It was clear from the records that investigators were told consistently by family and friends that Gabe and Patric didn't get along.
Smith describes Gabe as a "bully" who he wouldn't trust near his own daughter.
A family friend and Patric's grandfather told police about an alleged sexual advance Gabe made to Patric months earlier that ignited family tensions and resulted in Patric having his blanket and night-light taken away by his stepmother, Margaret McCarthy.

Margaret McCarthy, known as "Max" to family and friends, didn't like Patric, Smith said. He recalled an incident at Gray Gables Market in Bourne, owned at the time by Patric's father Stephen, that made him cringe. Margaret McCarthy ordered the boy to get in the car and then went on an obscenity-laden tirade. "I hate that (expletive deleted) kid," Smith recalled her saying. "I can't stand that (expletive deleted) kid."
That alone isn't enough to point fingers, but Smith and others allege odd behavior by Margaret McCarthy during the search. It's the sum of the parts that Smith and others believe investigators missed.

Two days after Patric's disappearance, Margaret McCarthy pointed out a Web site called "Hug A Tree" with a story eerily similar to the final outcome for Patric — three boys racing in the woods, one disappears and is later found dead of hypothermia. Smith said she showed it to him two days before Patric's body was found.

"What are you doing on a computer right now?" Smith recalls saying to her at the time.

At a brief meeting between New Hampshire State Police Det. Charles West, Stephen McCarthy, Margaret McCarthy and Smith, West asked if they knew Gabe had told a teacher before the family trip that Patric would not be coming home.

Smith recalls being stunned, but Margaret McCarthy answered by saying, "Boys will be boys."

Smith and others describe Margaret McCarthy's odd behavior — crying one minute, when someone was around to notice, and nonchalant the next.

There was someone else acting strangely.

James Besaw, Margaret McCarthy's brother, was among the first to arrive in New Hampshire the night Patric went missing. Margaret McCarthy called him even before she notified Stephen's brothers.

While others knocked on condo doors and looked under porches, Besaw went to a local store, which had to open up for him, to purchase maps and flashlights, according to witness statements and interviews.

Early the next morning, at 2 a.m., he drove a man home whose car tire was slashed, Smith said. Though the man lived just four miles away, Besaw did not return for about five hours. He explained his absence saying he was searching for Patric.

While Besaw was missing, Lincoln police logged a call at 2:30 a.m. from Margaret McCarthy. "She wanted to know if the helicopter was still out or had it gone in for the evening," the log entry states.

In slogging through dozens of pages of police reports, her call was one of the things that jumped off the pages for Geoffrey McCarthy and O'Connell. "Why wouldn't she want the helicopters to keep searching?" O'Connell said.

Besaw would disappear for long periods of time throughout the five days. He would go out, a hunting knife strapped to his belt, and search separately from the large groups that gathered in Lincoln each day, Smith and Geoffrey McCarthy said. He would tout his experience as an Army scout, they said.

A couple in Lincoln raised concerns about Besaw after encountering him in parking lot at Loon Mountain, according to their statements given to O'Connell. Besaw was found in a remote area of the parking lot checking the undercarriage of the Jeep he had been driving.

"Isn't it sad about the lost boy," the couple said to Besaw.

"Yeah, it's my nephew, he couldn't have gone far, he's too much of a sissy," Besaw allegedly told them.

The couple was so taken aback by his cold behavior, they filed a police report.

After Geoffrey McCarthy hired O'Connell in November 2003 to investigate Patric's death, Besaw declined to be interviewed and became agitated, O'Connell said.

"This is about a kid who goes for a walk in the woods, gets lost in the woods and dies in the woods, end of story," Besaw allegedly told O'Connell.

Shortly after the brief March 2004 interview, Besaw sold his house and moved his family from Bourne back to Ohio.

Just before she was interviewed by O'Connell that same month, Margaret McCarthy moved her children back to Ohio with her parents. She would later divorce Stephen McCarthy and head to Ohio herself, where she now lives.

Attempts to reach Margaret McCarthy have been unsuccessful. Phone numbers listed under her name have been disconnected.

Besaw was contacted once, but hasn't responded to subsequent messages left at his employer since he talked briefly to the Times in July.

It's all of that together that raises red flags and suspicions, Geoffrey McCarthy said.

"It was unbelievable," he said of Besaw's reported reaction. "I would expect that if anyone had any information or insight into what had taken place, they would be willing to offer what they know"» That's what you would expect unless you had something to hide."

Next weekend, as they make their climb up Whaleback Mountain where Patric's father has erected a marble cross in his son's memory, Smith will remember the shy, timid boy that so many others have described in that same way. He will remember the boy who loved video games and hockey and who, most of all, hated being alone.

"I know Patric. He was small. He was meek," Smith said. "He's not a kid who would do what they said he did. It's my opinion, he was murdered."

(condensed by me, for the most part)

New Topics

Forum List

Back