Debate Now Should the age of "everything" be 21?

Discussion in 'Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum' started by shockedcanadian, Feb 17, 2018.

1. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,321
    You can drink in Canada at 19, drive a car at 16. That's bloody insane. Driving a car on the highway, in traffic at age 16?! Many fully developed adults can't handle that.

Now I know some will say "I was driving my dads tractor at age 9!" When you are talking about life or death, a 16 year old is way too bloody young to be driving and anomalies don't count.

So, I believe 21 should be the age of everything: voting, buying a gun, driving, buying alcohol on and on.

One can even argue that a person brain still isn't fully developed at 21, but it's certainly an improvement from the current younger age of everything on both sides of the border.

Thoughts?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. bear513

bear513 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,201
    35 years old would be better.

3. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    13. You ought to know better by then.

4. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,388
    We delay responsibility and adult behavior for far too long as it is. Age should be coming down, not going up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,612
    The youth of 50 years ago was much more mature.
    Now we have a generation that stays with parents well into their 20's.
    The raising of age limits has reflected that immaturity.
    This has coincided with the creation of the Dept. of Education in America during the 70's.
    Add that social media which the creators openly admit is addictive and destructive, and you end up with a generation ill prepared mentally and lacking skill sets for the real world.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,321
    Precisely. Listen to some adults on any forum, or on twitter. I can't imagine in the 1980's when I was a kid, hearing adults speak like this. Look at adults react during road rage or when they shop and have a problem with something. I could go on and on.

Now, consider their kids. What they see as "role models" (the same unstable adults mentioned above). Consider the loss of independence, some at home well into their 30's, playing video games and renting movies like "Jackass".

I was working with guys who were in their 30's and 40's as I was doing labor (due to the Canadian covert police blocking my career) and these guys were talking about comic books. All day they would discuss and argue comic book characters and role playing video games they were playing. One guy admitted he would play for 12+ hours on the weekends, and he was married with a kid.

Bottom line, people are living longer, and kids are emotionally and intellectually immature, and it will only get worse.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  7. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,607
    Yet you can field a rifle and go to war at 18.

8. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,612
    Those that do show a high level of maturity after service.
    They learn that they are serving a higher purpose rather than self indulgence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    I won't lie: I don't like that age is used as a discriminant for much of anything. I'm of the mind that one must, before being granted the imprimatur to exercise them, demonstrate that one is mature, responsible, and sage enough to have certain avouched (as opposed to those found in nature and absent any codified jurisprudential constructs) rights and privileges.

The fact of one's having reached a given age does not mean one is ready for all sorts of things:
    • Merely being 18 does not mean the military will permit one to serve in it. It merely means the military will accord one the opportunity to show that one is worthy of being allowed to serve in it.
    • Merely being 18 does not mean one is ready to handle money or credit, but it does mean, for example, that one can apply to receive credit.
    • Upon one's reaching the age of majority, no magic wand waves whereby, "poof," one is suddenly prescient, perspicacious, prudent and un-procrustean. Indeed, some people only develop those qualities in middle age, and others don't ever develop them.
    • The fact that "my" child is 16 does not mean "my" child belongs behind the wheel of a car.
    • There is no career in which the mere passage of time in and of itself makes one any more competent a performer/producer than anyone else. I don't know of any professional services firm that these days promote people on seniority; quite the contrary, many of them us the merit-based "up or out" approach to promotions. I presume, however, unionized labor forces still to some extent use seniority promotion.
    I don't much care where it appears, I just don't see enough value in the ageism when it's applied to situations rights and privileges that don't align well with the reality of experientially obtained development and actual performance outcomes.

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53,443
    The age of everything should be 21, knowing what we know NOW about kids under the age of 25, which is that their brains still function like those of children which makes them still children.

• Agree Agree x 1