Should taxpayers bail out 3rd coast if BP does not?

Should taxpayers bail out 3rd coast if BP does not?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
cap for damages are unconstitutional in my opinion....it is not within congress's powers to limit this...maybe this will be the case that goes to the supreme court?

Why should we pay for this foreign private industry's/corporation's mistakes, when they made $6 billion in profits last quarter alone?

Do we get to share in their profits or do they get to keep their profits and we have to subsidize their losses?

bp is paying for it....as they should.

They'll pay up to 75 million, the rest will be up to us taxpayers.

I thought the 75 million cap was for damages to people hurt via loss of business/future business...but NOT the cost of the clean up and closing the gusher?

BP is responsible for clean-up costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.

what an outdated, ridiculous law.....!

wonder if they can't up that amount by the rise in the cost of living over the time from when instituted to now? :D

Any cap on lawsuits still seems unconstitutional to me....I don't know where this power on congress comes from?

cap for damages are unconstitutional in my opinion....it is not within congress's powers to limit this...maybe this will be the case that goes to the supreme court?

Regardless of whom PAYS for it...BP, Government...Others...Who cares. Let's get a handle on it...clean it up...and sort it out later.

sadly, you can't really clean it up, until you stop the sucker from shooting out a hundred thousand gallons a day of it....

BP is cleaning it up....i agree this is critical, and these amounts can be sorted out later.

these people that might lose their livelyhoods from the error of bp, are no different than the people that have lost their jobs in manufacturing or other fields....did we pay themn for their loss of 'financial livelyhood' which was taken out from under them, for the rest of their lives or for 10 years? I don't think so....

They need to get what they can get from bp, then get what they can get from Halliburton, then get what they can get from their State, then get what they can get from anyone else involved, then get what they can get from charity....but I do NOT believe that the rest of us, should pay for thier loss of livilyhood....it would be very unfair to all the rest of our citizens that have lost their livelyhood, and not been helped.

Regardless of whom PAYS for it...BP, Government...Others...Who cares. Let's get a handle on it...clean it up...and sort it out later.

sadly, you can't really clean it up, until you stop the sucker from shooting out a hundred thousand gallons a day of it....

BP is cleaning it up....i agree this is critical, and these amounts can be sorted out later.

these people that might lose their livelyhoods from the error of bp, are no different than the people that have lost their jobs in manufacturing or other fields....did we pay themn for their loss of 'financial livelyhood' which was taken out from under them, for the rest of their lives or for 10 years? I don't think so....

They need to get what they can get from bp, then get what they can get from Halliburton, then get what they can get from their State, then get what they can get from anyone else involved, then get what they can get from charity....but I do NOT believe that the rest of us, should pay for thier loss of livilyhood....it would be very unfair to all the rest of our citizens that have lost their livelyhood, and not been helped.

BP is currently spending 6 million dollars a day in the their efforts to stop the leak and mitigate damages. Some say that nearly 50 percent of Americans that don't pay federal income tax isn't fair.

I don't think the "taxpayers" have much of a choice in this case.

It has to be cleaned up.

Immie

I haven't heard anyone saying it shouldn't be cleaned up or that the government shouldn't play a role.

Nor have I and neither have I heard that BP would not do its best to cover the costs. I'm praying that BP will do the right thing, but I'm not sure it can.

SMT's question was a "what if" kind of question and I must say that if say, BP suddenly filed for Chapter 7 and the board and shareholders (FYI to all you lefties especially TM, shareholders are only libel for the value of their shares, don't try to pin this on them) suddenly start bailing like fleas on a drowning mutt, then someone will have to pay for the clean up and it appears it would fall on the shoulders of the taxpayers of this great nation.

Immie

BP is currently spending 6 million dollars a day in the their efforts to stop the leak and mitigate damages. Some say that nearly 50 percent of Americans that don't pay federal income tax isn't fair.

i can't help those people are wrong....those same people complaining get the first 20 grand they make, TAX FREE as well.... the poor couple making 20 grand is getting no special income tax break that you and i don't get as well....they still pay plenty of taxes.

yes, bp made $6 billion in 90 days in profit, yes bp is paying $6 million a day in clean up....it would take 3 years of $6 million a day to wipe out just one quarter's, one 90 day period, of their profits earned off of us.

I'm convinced that S. Louisianna has been on the government dole since Katrina, and now that they're seeing that dry up, the Oil Slick is only the new excuse to be on the dole, rather than adapt.

Sorry guys, but you're gonna hafta be big boys now.

So lemme get this straight - our state gets drenched in oil so you can ride around in cars and airplanes - and its our problem, not yours?

You know, if you don't like living in a nation which takes care of its own when a disaster hits, there are many, many other countries you can choose to live in.

Yeah.

Stop whinging already.

i can't help those people are wrong....those same people complaining get the first 20 grand they make, TAX FREE as well.... the poor couple making 20 grand is getting no special income tax break that you and i don't get as well....they still pay plenty of taxes.

yes, bp made $6 billion in 90 days in profit, yes bp is paying $6 million a day in clean up....it would take 3 years of $6 million a day to wipe out just one quarter's, one 90 day period, of their profits earned off of us.

So it's all about money to you? You're afraid BP isn't going to spend more than they made?

So it's all about money to you? You're afraid BP isn't going to spend more than they made?
No, not in the least.

It is about personal responsibility. The people responsible for this catastrophe, are responsible for this disasters clean up and damages. This is how it should work.

This IS justice. This IS AN eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth... a life for a life. The people responsible are the people who should pay for the clean up, damages, and fair retribution.

This is NOT a natural disaster.

This is a MAN MADE disaster.

BEFORE it comes down to us tax payers, funding the clean up or paying retribution to the people that lost their livelyhood....all efforts, and I mean all efforts, SHOULD BE USED to retrieve these monies from the person or entity that is RESPONSIBLE....

This IS conservatism, and this gives all of us liberty...whereas us just paying for it with our taxes is strapping us citizens with an expense, that belongs to BP and their subcontracted parties.

No, not in the least.

It is about personal responsibility. The people responsible for this catastrophe, are responsible for this disasters clean up and damages. This is how it should work.

This IS justice. This IS AN eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth... a life for a life. The people responsible are the people who should pay for the clean up, damages, and fair retribution.

BEFORE it comes down to us tax payers, funding the clean up or paying retribution to the people that lost their livelyhood....all efforts, and I mean all efforts, SHOULD BE USED to retrieve these monies from the person or entity that is RESPONSIBLE....

This IS conservatism, and this gives all of us liberty...whereas us just paying for it with our taxes is strapping us citizens with an expense, that belongs to BP and their subcontracted parties.

Um, right, Care.

If you'll excuse me a moment, lemme tell ya how things work on Earth.

1. BP will pay with borrowed money.

2. The borrowed money will be low interest, thanks to Washington

3. Idiots in Washington will pass a $10B liability law.

4. To cover the costs of the law, production companies will increase their price, or go elsewhere to product oil.

5. The USA becomes more dependent on foriegn oil.

6. BP will pay back the low interest loan through raising their cost + margin

7. US consumers will pay more for petroleum products

8. The Dept of Interior will complain that they need more funding to prevent future spills

9. US taxpayers will pay for DOI increased budget

No, not in the least.

Um, right, Care.

4. To cover the costs of the law, production companies will increase their price, or go elsewhere to product oil.

8. The Dept of Interior will complain that they need more funding to prevent future spills

Ohhhhhhh, I see....you think americans should front this expense and the people responsible should be BAILED OUT by us tax payers....

SORRY, I disagree with you.

And the solution to all of this...IS TO GET OFF OF THE OIL TITTY....

Our dependence on foreign oil, is the highest National Security Risk we have....we need to create an new method or two or three of energy, to get us OFF OF THIS FRICKING OIL.....period....for our own security....we can not afford the armies and military needed to keep the oil flowing, and we can NOT prevent OPEC from another embargo that could bring us to our knees....ANYONE AND EVERYONE with any kind of intelligence KNOWS THIS.....

there is $10 a gallon gasoline, just around the corner....just by any conflict happening in the middle east, or by any one of these middle eastern oil suppliers deciding to just take their oil off the market for us to buy....we are being held hostage by a bunch of Arabs and Muslims.

No, not in the least.

BP is aware of its responsibility and hasn't shown any inclination to shirk it.

Shouldn't you wait until they do try to shirk their responsibility before you cast aspersions. But let me clue you in on something, you as a consumer will eventually be footing the bill.

No, not in the least.

Um, right, Care.

Ohhhhhhh, I see....you think americans should front this expense and the people responsible should be BAILED OUT by us tax payers....

And the solution to all of this...IS TO GET OFF OF THE OIL TITTY....

Our dependence on foreign oil, is the highest National Security Risk we have....we need to create an new method or two or three of energy, to get us OFF OF THIS FRICKING OIL.....period....for our own security....we can not afford the armies and military needed to keep the oil flowing, and we can NOT prevent OPEC from another embargo that could bring us to our knees....ANYONE AND EVERYONE with any kind of intelligence KNOWS THIS.....

there is $10 a galon gasoline, just around the corner....just by any conflict happening in the middle east, or by any one of these middle eastern oil suppliers deciding to just take their oil off the market for us to buy....we are being held hostage by a bunch of Arabs and Muslims.

Getting off oil is easier said than done. Until you find a viable alternative fuel that will give us the mobility we need, oil will be needed. If we have any chance of being energy independent we need to drill baby drill and it would help to build a few more refineries.

No, not in the least.

Um, right, Care.

And the solution to all of this...IS TO GET OFF OF THE OIL TITTY.....

It doesn't matter what I think: US citizens will end up paying through higher energy costs, and taxes.

You tell me how easy it is for you to "GET OFF OF THE OIL TITTY."

Great Theory: Try it for a day.

Living in a tent, and eating berries gets old, hon.

No, not in the least.

Shouldn't you wait until they do try to shirk their responsibility before you cast aspersions. But let me clue you in on something, you as a consumer will eventually be footing the bill.

Sigh

Please read the thread title and the questions asked of us in the poll....

this whole thread, IS A "WHAT IF" in my opinion...IF it comes down to it....SHOULD the tax payers fund the expense of this castastrophe.

I believe, in this IF scenario that BP should pay for everything BECAUSE BP is responsible for this catastrophe...you and I do NOT share in their profits, we should NOT share in their losses.

This is what it appears you and spider and sampson are suggesting and I vehemently disagree with you if this is the case....I do NOT believe in corporate welfare, or corporate bail outs with our tax monies, and especially NOT corporate welfare to a FOREIGN company, for goodness sakes!

Yes, I agree BP has handled this fairly well, other than their lies in the beginning and their very slow response to the catasprophe....but since then, they have appeared to be taking responsibility and willing to fork out the expense.... I have said such in several posts myself even before you posted about the $6 million a day they are spending...but CG indicated that they could go belly up on this and I don't believe this is the case due to them making so much in profit just the previous quarter....this expense still allows them to come in to a profit, it is NOT overbearing comparitively to what they gross and make in profit.

there is NO REASON why us tax payers should have to foot this expense.

No, not in the least.

Sigh

Please read the thread title and the questions asked of us in the poll....

this whole thread, IS A "WHAT IF" in my opinion...IF it comes down to it....SHOULD the tax payers fund the expense of this castastrophe.

I believe, in this IF scenario that BP should pay for everything BECAUSE BP is responsible for this catastrophe...you and I do NOT share in their profits, we should NOT share in their losses.

This is what it appears you and spider and sampson are suggesting and I vehemently disagree with you if this is the case....I do NOT believe in corporate welfare, or corporate bail outs with our tax monies, and especially NOT corporate welfare to a FOREIGN company, for goodness sakes!

Yes, I agree BP has handled this fairly well, other than their lies in the beginning and their very slow response to the catasprophe....but since then, they have appeared to be taking responsibility and willing to fork out the expense.... I have said such in several posts myself even before you posted about the $6 million a day they are spending...but CG indicated that they could go belly up on this and I don't believe this is the case due to them making so much in profit just the previous quarter....this expense still allows them to come in to a profit, it is NOT overbearing comparitively to what they gross and make in profit.

there is NO REASON why us tax payers should have to foot this expense.

I'm well aware of the poll question, but I don't play the "what if" game, I would rather deal with reality not speculations. If you lump me in the same catagory as spiderflunky, then you're sadly mistaken. I am not nor have I ever been for corporate bailouts.

The fact is BP's liability to fishermen, property owners and other individuals and businesses is capped at $75 million for all claims under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990. However this limit does not include the cost of cleanup of which BPhas already stated they will finance the cleanup efforts. But we will bear the expense one way or the other, either as taxpayers or as consumers.

Forum List

Back