Should sex offenders be absolved from public stigma?

I hate to say it but I don't see how the justice system could force people to register as sex offenders (or robbers or murderers) after they have paid their debt to society.

I can see your point. Its like continuing to punish them long after their release from prison - especially as no other criminal has to do this.

Why should every criminal be treated the same? Every crime is not the same. Thieves do not need to be monitored to make sure they aren't working at schools, for example, or hanging out at bowling alleys for the express purpose of grooming children.

A thief should be monitored to ensure they are not breaking into another home. A murderer should be monitored to ensure they are not killing anyone.

Every criminal has the potential to go back to crime, just like pedophiles.

Why should every criminal be treated the same? Every crime is not the same. Thieves do not need to be monitored to make sure they aren't working at schools, for example, or hanging out at bowling alleys for the express purpose of grooming children.

A thief should be monitored to ensure they are not breaking into another home. A murderer should be monitored to ensure they are not killing anyone.

You are comparing being a thief of property to being a thief of childhoods? The same exact forces are behind each of those separate crimes in your mind? I most definitely disagree.

Also you would want all criminals monitored in the same manner and degree?

No, they don't. Pedophilia is unique in that pedophiles remain an active threat for their entire lives. People who commit other crimes can and do change and turn away from crime. Pedophilia is not just a crime, it's a disorder and they do not turn away from it. And it has the unique characteristic of being able to spread...children who are molested have a really good chance of becoming pedophiles themselves.

No, they don't. Pedophilia is unique in that pedophiles remain an active threat for their entire lives. People who commit other crimes can and do change and turn away from crime. Pedophilia is not just a crime, it's a disorder and they do not turn away from it. And it has the unique characteristic of being able to spread...children who are molested have a really good chance of becoming pedophiles themselves.

I agree that pedophiles remain a potential threat after their release from prison, and I agree that it is a disorder. I don't agree that other criminals can 'turn away' from crime - what about a murderer, for example? They have a chance to kill again, and I am sure you don't want a convicted killer in the house next door, do you?

I also disagree that kids who are molested have a higher chance of becoming pedophiles themselves. If that was true, why don't we do more to help those abused children, so to prevent them from becoming pedophiles?

You are comparing being a thief of property to being a thief of childhoods? The same exact forces are behind each of those separate crimes in your mind? I most definitely disagree.

A thief of property will break in to your home, ransack your house and steal your belongings. I think that they should be monitored to ensure they don't do the same again, don't you?

I agree that pedophiles remain a potential threat after their release from prison, and I agree that it is a disorder. I don't agree that other criminals can 'turn away' from crime - what about a murderer, for example? They have a chance to kill again, and I am sure you don't want a convicted killer in the house next door, do you?

I also disagree that kids who are molested have a higher chance of becoming pedophiles themselves. If that was true, why don't we do more to help those abused children, so to prevent them from becoming pedophiles?

I really dislike agreeing with KG, but when she's right, she's right.

No other crime has a similar rate of reoffending of sex crimes. It's apples to oranges.

As to molested children turning into pedophiles, that's a fact. An overwhelming majority of pedophiles were molested as children.

A thief of property will break in to your home, ransack your house and steal your belongings. I think that they should be monitored to ensure they don't do the same again, don't you?

They often are when released from prison when they are placed on probation.

I think thieves can reform and never think about stealing again. I do not think pedophiles can do the same.

Irregardless of the splitting of hairs specific to classification and identification of various acts deemed "criminal" by varying societies, the imminent, horrifying threat the pedophile presents to our children cannot rationally be compared to either the theft of property or the destruction of the same. The cauldron of rational debate entered into by diverse and broad minds who contribute a torrent of differing opinion is the best hope of any society, such as the many different voices on this topic. That said, when such a threat has been identified as that posed by men and women who assault our children for personal pleasure, there can be no other action than to do all that can be done to protect those who cannot protect themselves...those who have no choice but to trust the adults in their lives. We should as a society readily be prepared to engage in action and to any extreme to ensure the safety of our children. To do less, to forgive this brand of malevolence is to apologize before the act for the ruination of a child's life.

Last edited:

They often are when released from prison when they are placed on probation.

I think thieves can reform and never think about stealing again. I do not think pedophiles can do the same.

Pedophiles have urges much like homosexuals. If a homosexual can refrain from acting upon their desires, why couldn't a pedophile?

I have more faith in people than you, it would seem.

Certain sex offenses, including rape and child rape, used to be capital offenses. Which means perps got the death penalty.

Thanks to the kinder, gentlers laws for sex offenders that were ushered in through the 70s-80s by liberals, that is no longer the case. So when you have sex offenders being spit back repeatedly into the free world, you have a problem. Because they DO re-offend, and they DO pose an ongoing threat to the safety of others, specifically, children.

They're lucky to be out. They won't ever repay their debt to society; lifelong registration as a sex offender is the judgement, and it's why they get to walk among us. They should be grateful, and so should those who defend their right to "not be reminded" of their crimes.

I agree that certain sex offenses like rape, whether child or adult, should be capitol offenses and we should just lock them away for life. That way no one has to worry about them. Especially the homosexual ones, I am saying this not as a homophobe, but b/c they are the most dangerous and will do anything in the power to re-offend.

But if you look closely at the registration, there are a ton of people out there who arn't pedophiles, never intended or commited rape, but are still registered as sex offenders. Take for instance the Romeo and Juliet cases (19 year old boy with a 16 year old girl), there are a ton of those cases out there. Was that 19 year old boy an idiot...yes, is he a danger to society...Id say no. The problem is, is that it is so hard to catch the actual pedophiles out there because most of them do it in the family, I think its like 80% molestation or rape cases happen in the family, and the victims don't come forward, or theres no physical evidence. Its actually probably a higher percentage than that since there are probably a lot of kids that never come forward. And then you have cases like the Penn State case where a pedophile who knows how to manipulate and get away with it, rapes kids for 40 years before hes finally brought to justice. Guys like sandusky know what theyre doing and how to get away with it. The only way to protect your kids from this is to educate them, and yourselves. I think the government tries to make up for this by broadening the law to include people who are easier to convict...but are not really threats to society. I hear they are trying to include prostitutes, which to me is ridiculous, Im sorry but I dont view them as a threat to kids and its not gonna stop them from standing on the corner.

We need a tiered system of registration, the dangerous ones, or the potential dangers should be known to the rest of society and be locked away for a very long time. The ones who show signs that are concerning should be should be monitored and put on another registration that is set aside for jobs at hospitals, schools, day cares, boy scouts, churches, etc. to let those institutions know to disqualify them for a job. I say this because those who show concerning signs, are not going to re-offend, those are usually the people who got drunk at a bar and grabbed someones ass or something, or the Romeo and Juliet cases. I think theyre idiots, not really dangers to society

Bottom line, those actual pedophiles out there do deserve what they get and more. If they want to be released back into society after serving a lengthy sentence they should be chemical sterilized so they have no sexual drive. However, I think there are plenty of people who dont deserve to register as a sex offenders, and there are plenty of people who do but dont get caught until after many years of abuse. Im not going to really rely on Megans Law to protect my kids, I think its pretty close to useless. You got to educate your kids and yourself, thats the best way to protect them.

Like I said, that all has to do with mandatory sentencing. Mandatory sentencing is a travesty and should never have happened.

Oh well, you can't fail to effectively monitor the dangerous sex offenders just because you have a crap law that means some people who aren't dangerous are being monitored, too.

In the old days it was the same..you got caught messing around with someone you shouldn't be messing around with, you might spend some times in the stocks...even if you weren't a pervert.

I think you have it backwards: Just as recovering alcoholics admit that they are not "currently" drinking, pedophiles need to remember their addiction in order to keep it under control. That being said, the term "sex offender" is probably too broadly used in today's hypersensitive culture.

anyone who has ever learned anything about pedophilia knows that it is impossible for a pedophile to keep himself under control. recidivism is almost guaranteed if they aren't imprisoned or chemically castrated.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy along with leuprolide acetate which is mostly used to treat prostate cancer and is a synthetic gonadotrophin releasing hormone, has shown promise reducing pedophilic fantasies, urges, and masturbation. Of course trial studies note that this has to be a continuing effort. You don't need to be "chemically castrated" but it does help.
Many of schizophrenic sufferers wind up in prison for homicide because, being mentally ill, they determined they could get by without medication, then determined their victim or victims would get them if they didn't put up lethal self-defense.

Pedophilia has an ick factor as the public feels that the act of abusing someone who is smaller and weaker than the perpetrator is craven. The damage of abuse follows the child victim for life and can result in the victim also becoming a perpetrator unless he or she becomes empowered with a cause of holding this criminally insane act against the perpetrator as cathartic to his unseen pain.

anyone who has ever learned anything about pedophilia knows that it is impossible for a pedophile to keep himself under control. recidivism is almost guaranteed if they aren't imprisoned or chemically castrated.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy along with leuprolide acetate which is mostly used to treat prostate cancer and is a synthetic gonadotrophin releasing hormone, has shown promise reducing pedophilic fantasies, urges, and masturbation. Of course trial studies note that this has to be a continuing effort. You don't need to be "chemically castrated" but it does help.
Many of schizophrenic sufferers wind up in prison for homicide because, being mentally ill, they determined they could get by without medication, then determined their victim or victims would get them if they didn't put up lethal self-defense.

Pedophilia has an ick factor as the public feels that the act of abusing someone who is smaller and weaker than the perpetrator is craven. The damage of abuse follows the child victim for life and can result in the victim also becoming a perpetrator unless he or she becomes empowered with a cause of holding this criminally insane act against the perpetrator as cathartic to his unseen pain.

Im sorry, have you ever seen schizophrenia? There is maybe a couple serial killers out there that may have been schizophrenic, other than that shcizophrenia is terrible debilitating disease and its the line of thinking that you just used that gives it such a terrible stigma. Most cases of schizophrenia are that of the catatonic type, not the paranoid type everyone thinks of, and 90% of the paranoid are completely harmless. Its terrible to watch young men and women who had lived completely normal lives before slip into schizophrenia and never live a normal life again. They know something is wrong with their brain, but there is nothing they can do about it. Your line of thinking about schizophrenia is like me saying that chemo patients are scary looking because they're bald. I would honestly rather have cancer than schizophrenia.

There is no need to compare the schizophrenic to pedophiles, those who suffer from schizophrenia do not deserve it.

That being said, it seems like you really do not have a background in psychology, I have some...not much. But I do know that pretty much the only pedophiles you really need to worry about are the homosexual ones who gain or acquire some anti-social qualities, and the few heterosexual ones who have already had a lot of anti-social qualities. Both of which you wouldn't really be able to tell or know they are pedophiles until they've been caught after years of abuse. This is because of the anti-social qualities and knowing how to manipulate people. I think sex offender registration is about as useful as "duck and cover" for a nuclear attack. We're not catching very many actual pedophiles until after years of abuse, and we arn't really slowing them down. For some reason the government wants to talk about sex offender registration instead of teaching preventative measures to children as simple as a little bit of education. I dont understand why no one is really concerned about preventing pedophiles from attacking, and more concerned about punishing them afterwards.

Im sorry, have you ever seen schizophrenia? There is maybe a couple serial killers out there that may have been schizophrenic, other than that shcizophrenia is terrible debilitating disease and its the line of thinking that you just used that gives it such a terrible stigma. Most cases of schizophrenia are that of the catatonic type, not the paranoid type everyone thinks of, and 90% of the paranoid are completely harmless. Its terrible to watch young men and women who had lived completely normal lives before slip into schizophrenia and never live a normal life again. They know something is wrong with their brain, but there is nothing they can do about it. Your line of thinking about schizophrenia is like me saying that chemo patients are scary looking because they're bald. I would honestly rather have cancer than schizophrenia.

There is no need to compare the schizophrenic to pedophiles, those who suffer from schizophrenia do not deserve it.

That being said, it seems like you really do not have a background in psychology, I have some...not much. But I do know that pretty much the only pedophiles you really need to worry about are the homosexual ones who gain or acquire some anti-social qualities, and the few heterosexual ones who have already had a lot of anti-social qualities. Both of which you wouldn't really be able to tell or know they are pedophiles until they've been caught after years of abuse. This is because of the anti-social qualities and knowing how to manipulate people. I think sex offender registration is about as useful as "duck and cover" for a nuclear attack. We're not catching very many actual pedophiles until after years of abuse, and we arn't really slowing them down. For some reason the government wants to talk about sex offender registration instead of teaching preventative measures to children as simple as a little bit of education. I dont understand why no one is really concerned about preventing pedophiles from attacking, and more concerned about punishing them afterwards.

The last sentence of your last paragraph really speaks to the primary essence of the matter. That said, I think many Americans might misinterpret your meaning to read as acceptance of a condition that is universally loathed, as an illness which can be treated, even cured. In my opinion punishment and prevention are equally important as tools available to protect our children. Punishment however, when it is time spent behind bars, is definitely not an effective solution as many cases have demonstrated an extremely high rate of recidivism. Being a parent makes me biased toward punishment, but also forces me into a practice of personal prevention i.e. taking steps to lower the risk to my own children.

What means of preventing a pedophile from attacking in the first place do you suggest?

Im sorry, have you ever seen schizophrenia?

Yes. But you do not need to be sorry.

I made no comparison between the two illnesses. Firstly, I placed the two topics in separate paragraphs to keep them separated. Secondly, I was assuming people who are reading this thread have a working vocabulary such that they may not need a dictionary for every word I type out. People with strong vocabularies would know I did not call one disease the other nor even make a comparison.

In our system of justice, people are incarcerated all the time whose state laws say mentally ill people cannot go to trial. If the matter is set before a jury, anything goes. If their state has mental institutions that do not lock people up, jurors are going to put away a mother who just ate 5 babies to save them from the devil behind bars rather than in Sunflower Estates Mental Care Facility that releases people after taking 30 days of depression meds.

I'm not making a judgment. I'm just describing what happens to the ill person.

No jury will allow a pedophile to roam the streets after being locked up for 2 years for rearranging an infant's vagina in a rape.

Separate paragraph

No jury will allow a schizophrenia sufferer who dismembered three dozen couples kissing in a car for 3 years because his mother told him that was "bad" when he was 10 years old to go to the state funnyfarm that releases "well" people who responded to their medications after 6 months without another murder.

Get it?

Last edited:

Im sorry, have you ever seen schizophrenia?

Yes. But you do not need to be sorry.

I made no comparison between the two illnesses. Firstly, I placed the two topics in separate paragraphs to keep them separated. Secondly, I was assuming people who are reading this thread have a working vocabulary such that they may not need a dictionary for every word I type out. People with strong vocabularies would know I did not call one disease the other nor even make a comparison.

In our system of justice, people are incarcerated all the time whose state laws say mentally ill people cannot go to trial. If the matter is set before a jury, anything goes. If their state has mental institutions that do not lock people up, jurors are going to put away a mother who just ate 5 babies to save them from the devil behind bars rather than in Sunflower Estates Mental Care Facility that releases people after taking 30 days of depression meds.

I'm not making a judgment. I'm just describing what happens to the ill person.

No jury will allow a pedophile to roam the streets after being locked up for 2 years for rearranging an infant's vagina in a rape.

Separate paragraph

No jury will allow a schizophrenia sufferer who dismembered three dozen couples kissing in a car for 3 years because his mother told him that was "bad" when he was 10 years old to go to the state funnyfarm that releases "well" people who responded to their medications after 6 months without another murder.

Get it?

Your still comparing apples and oranges, not only concerning the mental illness, but also our court system coupled with healthcare. Juries do not decide when a mentally ill person can roam the streets again, as if someone who requires medication is some sort of risk to society. These judgement calls are made by Judges and by a team of social workers , md's, psychologist, social and case workers.

I'm most referring to those who suffer from pedophelia (yes its a diagnosable paychiatric disorder) those who have done both group and personal therapy who have done away (or presumably so) with their sexual interest in prepubescent children.

My question is twofold:

1) Can someone who suffers from this condition find "absolution" from society

2) If not, how can someone who is a pedophile, recover if they are constantly bombarded with the reminder of their sins?

I honestly find it horrifying that anyone would pose this question.

1.) The sick fucking bastards that engage in any form of sex offense (pedophile, rapist, etc.) cannot be "reformed" or "cured" and that is a proven fact.

2.) Nobody should be forgiven for such atrocities. To hurt a child or a woman in such a profound fashion is unforgivable and these sick S.O.B.'s should be mercilessly hounded until they make their way from this planet and into hell where they belong.

The reason that you don't administer the death penalty to sexual offenders is because it saves many lives. If a sexual offender is facing the death penalty anyway, what is the detrerrent to killing the only witness?

Forum List

Back