Should Prior Military Service be Required to Serve in Congress?

Should Candidates for Congress Have Prior Military Service

• Yes

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
image.jpg

That's this candidate's stand for a seat in the San Diego, Calif area.

Former Navy SEAL Josh Butner, a congressional candidate from Calif., is under fire for comments he made taking a shot at his Democratic opponent for Congress, saying, “It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

The comment came in an interview with Voice of San Diego.

When you look at anybody for any political office you should look at their past experiences. I served for 23 years,” Butner said in the interview. “It shows dedication and you’ve been exposed to foreign policy at the tip of the spear. I learned a lot about cultures, in conflict and cooperation. It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

It is not a constitutional requirement but I think it makes a great deal of sense. It also does not necessarily mean once they're in they will be true conservatives as McCain shows us. At least they will have "been in the trenches" and experience in actually serving this country.

What's your take?

From Calif. congressional candidate, a Navy vet, says prior service should be required to run for office

Every voter can decide whether service is relevant or not.

And then 'true conservatives' can feel good about shitting on honorable combat Veterans like John McCain

John "The Canary" McCain? Brings back old, bitter memories.

image.jpg

Former Navy SEAL Josh Butner, a congressional candidate from Calif., is under fire for comments he made taking a shot at his Democratic opponent for Congress, saying, “It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

When you look at anybody for any political office you should look at their past experiences. I served for 23 years,” Butner said in the interview. “It shows dedication and you’ve been exposed to foreign policy at the tip of the spear. I learned a lot about cultures, in conflict and cooperation. It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

It is not a constitutional requirement but I think it makes a great deal of sense. It also does not necessarily mean once they're in they will be true conservatives as McCain shows us. At least they will have "been in the trenches" and experience in actually serving this country.

What's your take?

From Calif. congressional candidate, a Navy vet, says prior service should be required to run for office

And then 'true conservatives' can feel good about shitting on honorable combat Veterans like John McCain

Of course not. The Constituion already lays out the requirements in takes to serve in Congress.

i just get annoyed when ex military or police or social workers and ex government employees are looked at as being more suitable . All they are is employees of the American public that pays their salaries . Government type people / ex employees are looked at as being SPECIAL and i disagree with that . ---------- I see this special status all the time as people argue that [for one example] Retired Police should be able to conceal carry across state lines but other Americans should not . And now some advocate that ex military is best for running for Congress . And then we have old open borders 'senator juan mccain' as an example of ex military and he has been the best friend of 'illegal aliens' for years and years . ---------------- just a comment .
I would say no. I've seen way too many people brainwashed in the military to be war mongers.
---------------------------------------------------- i don't know about them being WarMongers but i don't like their 'military or Government employee class' being elevated above other Americans Ace .

Last edited:
image.jpg

What's your take?

Especially for president or vice president.
How about the president and vice president having to serve in Congress?

That might be interesting.

i just get annoyed when ex military or police or social workers and ex government government employees are looked at as being more suitable . All they are is employees of the American public that pays their salaries . Government type people / ex employees are looked at as being SPECIAL and i disagree with that . ---------- I see this special status all the time as people argue that [for one example] Retired Police should be able to conceal carry across state lines but other Americans should not . And now some advocate that ex military is best for running for Congress . And then we have old open borders 'senator juan mccain' as an example of ex military and he has been the best friend of 'illegal aliens' for years and years . ---------------- just a comment .
I would say no. I've seen way too many people brainwashed in the military to be war mongers.
---------------------------------------------------- i don't know about them being WarMongers but i don't like their 'military or Government employee class' being elevated above other Americans Ace .
I dont think it should either. I've met shitbags in the military that were way worse than civilians. The problem is that the government has also brainwashed the public into believing every one that served is a saint and a hero. Those recruiting commercials crack me up. I told my kids I would disown them if they went into the military.

well i have no problem with military , police or other 'government' employees except i do dislike when they are held up as SPECIAL . Everyone in government employ is there because they wanted to be while Volunteering [since the early 70s for the military] and Police of course have always been volunteer . ------------------- While military service might be good for 'congress' it looks to me that it would just be a case of a Government employee retiring from one Gov position and then continuing his Gov work in another Gov position after an election . I want free and independent Americans in Gov rather than more exGovernment employees in USA Government Ace .

image.jpg

What's your take?

I spent 2 years in combat in the Infantry. McCain spent how much time fighting?

and then look at the boneheads 'juan mccain' , john ketchup kerry and 'algore' that had military service and ALL were 'ready fer service' . [chuckle]

image.jpg

What's your take?

John McCain volunteered for combat duty- flew combat and was shot down- and endured 5 years of being held in a hellish POW camp.

I can't even imagine how you would denigrate the WW2 bomber pilots by ridiculing the 'small amount' of time they spent in combat- before spending a couple years in Stalag 13.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
image.jpg

What's your take?

John McCain volunteered for combat duty- flew combat and was shot down- and endured 5 years of being held in a hellish POW camp.

I can't even imagine how you would denigrate the WW2 bomber pilots by ridiculing the 'small amount' of time they spent in combat- before spending a couple years in Stalag 13.

I only know about the comments made by a couple of his fellow prisoners in the Hanoi Hilton and I believe them.

image.jpg

What's your take?

----------------------------------------- i dislike 'juan mcstain' simply because he likes and encourages 'mexican' imigration and never tried to stop it . Plus 'juan' was as much a 'dem' as he was a reach across the aisle 'rino' [he ia a 'bush' family boy] . As far as his military record , well , he wanted to enlist [volunteer] so he did and taxpayers paid him for it Syriusly .

Wow. Some very thoughtful comments on this thread. Very informative.

As a result of reading them, I find myself coming to a conclusion that the OP, while interesting, goes beyond the original intent of the Founders and is amiss.

One recurring theme caught my eye and I find myself agreeing with it. To be eligible to VOTE, one must at least serve 2 years of public service.

image.jpg

What's your take?

Ya, he was in the military. He knows best. Fuck him, fuck his service, fuck his whole family. He watches to much TV. Bet one of his favorite movies was Starship troopers. This dick is just another fag trying out for his seat on the gravy train. Nothing more.

image.jpg

What's your take?

Ya, he was in the military. He knows best. Fuck him, fuck his service, fuck his whole family. He watches to much TV. Bet one of his favorite movies was Starship troopers. This dick is just another fag trying out for his seat on the gravy train. Nothing more.
about-to-puke-smiley-emoticon.png

image.jpg

What's your take?

Is he planning on doing the leg work to get a Constitutional Amendment passed? Or did he just show us he has no idea what the requirements are, where they are, and how to change them?

Its an idea, not a demand. Ease up.

image.jpg

What's your take?

Some sailor kick the shit out of you and took your girl, right?

Forum List

Back