Should Prior Military Service be Required to Serve in Congress?

Should Candidates for Congress Have Prior Military Service

• Yes

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
image.jpg

That's this candidate's stand for a seat in the San Diego, Calif area.

Former Navy SEAL Josh Butner, a congressional candidate from Calif., is under fire for comments he made taking a shot at his Democratic opponent for Congress, saying, “It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

The comment came in an interview with Voice of San Diego.

When you look at anybody for any political office you should look at their past experiences. I served for 23 years,” Butner said in the interview. “It shows dedication and you’ve been exposed to foreign policy at the tip of the spear. I learned a lot about cultures, in conflict and cooperation. It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

It is not a constitutional requirement but I think it makes a great deal of sense. It also does not necessarily mean once they're in they will be true conservatives as McCain shows us. At least they will have "been in the trenches" and experience in actually serving this country.

What's your take?

From Calif. congressional candidate, a Navy vet, says prior service should be required to run for office

You know, I kinda think that serving at least one enlistment in the military should be a requirement for being able to serve in Congress.

At least then, maybe we could stop getting into pointless wars. Military people understand what a deployment means. Civilians don't.

You know, I kinda think that serving at least one enlistment in the military should be a requirement for being able to serve in Congress.

At least then, maybe we could stop getting into pointless wars. Military people understand what a deployment means. Civilians don't.
What they should do is when there is a war you have to serve on the front lines for a week. 11B

I would say no. I've seen way too many people brainwashed in the military to be war mongers.

Actually, those who have served in an active war zone are much less likely to want to go to war unnecessarily.

I served 20 years, and was against the Iraq war. Removing Saddam is what gave rise to ISIL in Iraq. Saddam didn't like competition and stamped it out ruthlessly.

Yeah, he was a bad man and a dictator, but at least he had a steel grasp on his country before he was ousted.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
image.jpg

Former Navy SEAL Josh Butner, a congressional candidate from Calif., is under fire for comments he made taking a shot at his Democratic opponent for Congress, saying, “It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

When you look at anybody for any political office you should look at their past experiences. I served for 23 years,” Butner said in the interview. “It shows dedication and you’ve been exposed to foreign policy at the tip of the spear. I learned a lot about cultures, in conflict and cooperation. It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

It is not a constitutional requirement but I think it makes a great deal of sense. It also does not necessarily mean once they're in they will be true conservatives as McCain shows us. At least they will have "been in the trenches" and experience in actually serving this country.

What's your take?

From Calif. congressional candidate, a Navy vet, says prior service should be required to run for office
Is he planning on doing the leg work to get a Constitutional Amendment passed? Or did he just show us he has no idea what the requirements are, where they are, and how to change them?

What they should do is when there is a war you have to serve on the front lines for a week. 11B

If you serve more than one enlistment in the military other than the Air Force or the Navy, you are pretty much guaranteed at least one deployment (6 months to a year) to a conflict zone.

Me? I served in 4 different war zones and drew hazardous duty pay for it.

image.jpg

What's your take?

Especially for president or vice president.

image.jpg

What's your take?

Especially for president or vice president.

You know, that makes a hell of a lot of sense, because the president is the CIC, and should know something about the military, other than how to avoid serving in it.

image.jpg

What's your take?

Butner is a Democrat. This is his take on the issues.
Issues

So, outside of "fully fund USAID" I don't see much of a plan anywhere. So, are we selling our status here? And, if so.........then what does it matter?

I would expect with that service there would be some meat with those potatoes.

If we are going to do this, then we might as well do what a lot of countries do, and make it so that there is a mandatory requirement to serve at least 2 years, and if a person is disabled can can't serve active duty, find some job in the military they can do.

Should Prior Military Service be Required to Serve in Congress?
  • Required to have it? No.
Military service -- command and non-command -- provides perspectives that are worth having among Congressional representatives; however, the citizenry does not all have military service and thus don't wholly or partially view their world through such lens. Thus, IMO, Congress should be comprised of members who have served and members who have not. I don't think the proportion of members having or not having military backgrounds needs to conform to a specific ratio; I merely think there should be both classes of members.

What I think would be more beneficial to America and its governance is more Americans period serving at least one tour in the military, the Peace Corps, or something that exposes them for months on end to life in a foreign country, ideally ones that are of varying degrees of similarity to and difference from the U.S. Far too few Americans travel to foreign countries and as not having that experience is a loss to the overall nature of understanding about the world in which we live as well as about our own nation, culture and citizenry.

Life as an expat (actual as it is with clandestine service operatives and private sector workers sent abroad or "of sorts" as it is with some military folks who reside on a military base/ship rather than "in the community") not only gives one an understanding of the U.S.' social, governmental and cultural weaknesses, but it also gives one a vastly greater appreciation of the U.S.' of its many strengths in the same dimensions. IMO, every American should "get out" more than is typical presently. Serving in the military is a fine way to do so.

image.jpg

What's your take?

Every voter can decide whether service is relevant or not.

And then 'true conservatives' can feel good about shitting on honorable combat Veterans like John McCain

all i think about 'juan mcstain' is feck him and i've thought that long before TRUMP summed up 'mcstain' in just a few memorable , truthful and humorous words Syriusly .

Forum List

Back