Should parents be liable for their children's crimes?

Should hold parents legally responsible for everything their children do. Charge the child as well when appropriate, but any criminal charge the child gets should be applied at adult-levels to the parent.

If parents are held responsible for the actions of their children, children wont be allowed to run wild like they are often times now.
Nonsense talk. Parents can only do so much to contain adolescent children from making mistakes during adolescence. I've got a better idea. How about you stick your blame stick up your butt.

Never broke a single law growing up other than maybe j-walking. And I got caught and in serious trouble for it. Had quite a degree of autonomy too but was raised to regard the law as an absolute.

Children who break the law today commiting even felonies like car theft and murder are being raised by stupid people who themselves don't respect the law or the kids they raise would too. Children are reflections of their parents. Until we hold parents responsible for setting loose demon-spawn onto society lawless juvenilles will continue to run amok.

Being responsible for a child is not synonymous with being guilty of a crime he/she commits.

Should hold parents legally responsible for everything their children do. Charge the child as well when appropriate, but any criminal charge the child gets should be applied at adult-levels to the parent.

If parents are held responsible for the actions of their children, children wont be allowed to run wild like they are often times now.

I disagree.

There are very few parents who have ever "allowed" their child to commit crimes and run wild. Most of the time, these are cases where the child was well out of control of the parent. So I ask again, to what degree are we going to allow parents to control children? Can they lock them in cages? Yes or no? We need to know what are the limitations, where do we draw the line? You cannot make me responsible for the actions of my pit bull and also tell me that I am not allowed to put him on a leash or in a pen.

I get your frustration and I agree that parents today are doing a piss poor job of raising their kids. Not all parents, but far too many, and it's a problem. I also agree that we should have some way of holding certain parents responsible for certain acts by their children. I just don't agree with charging the parent with the crime committed by their child, I don't think that is appropriate.

Nonsense talk. Parents can only do so much to contain adolescent children from making mistakes during adolescence. I've got a better idea. How about you stick your blame stick up your butt.

Never broke a single law growing up other than maybe j-walking. And I got caught and in serious trouble for it. Had quite a degree of autonomy too but was raised to regard the law as an absolute.

Children who break the law today commiting even felonies like car theft and murder are being raised by stupid people who themselves don't respect the law or the kids they raise would too. Children are reflections of their parents. Until we hold parents responsible for setting loose demon-spawn onto society lawless juvenilles will continue to run amok.
Good luck "proving" it's the parents fault. Which parent? The one living with the kid? Or the baby daddy that has never seen the kid? What about blaming the teachers? Maybe the cop that let the kid go one time? What about the takes a village theme? Maybe we put everyone in the village in jail when a member goes astray... Why stop there.. maybe we blame all of america for some dumb ass kid taking a photo of a nude prisoner.

Children are not just reflections of their parents, sometimes far from it!

I think there is even a bigger problem with society and culture as a whole. We have music, movies and television shows that glorify gangster lifestyle, cheating, stealing, being totally decadent and immoral in every way possible... the more radical the better! That's viewed as "cool" and "hip!"

We're now on about the third generation from the Free-Love 60s counterculture, and all those hippies are now grandparents. Their kids were raised without any moral boundaries or ethics, and now they've raised their own little demon spawn.

Hold a pet owner responsible for their pet's actions as if they bite someone, so why not hold parents responsible for the crimes of their children?

In that situation, there are some children who would commit a serious crime for the sole purpose of getting their parent(s) locked up.

A question my own wisdom is not adequate to answer.
I rely on my understanding of Ezekiel 18.
The answer is no.

Forum List

Back