Should NJ lower it's flags to half mast for Whitney Houston?

Of course not. Giving Whitney Houston some kind of honor in death gives legtimacy to the addictions that led to her death. Give the NJ kids a role model. Make it someone that destroyed their life with drugs. Instead of glorifying Whitney Houston and glossing over the manner of her death, she should be heaped with derison and her life exposed in all of its dissolution as to what happens to those who take drugs.

Yes, those people are aka weak minded. Giving bad behavior an excusable label is just so neat huh.

Backbone, will power, strength. We all have it, some are unwilling to use it. That is their choice.

Do you think, purely from a physical point of view, that every person on earth has the same chance of becoming addicted to a substance? Or that individuals have a different chance purely because of their physical makeup?

I honestly don't know. But what I do know is for a generation now we have tried to label bad behavior as a medical condition. That removes any element of personal responsibility and as such we've had a generation of youth drugged by doctors diagnosis's of this ailment or that. It's sad

To make the painful decision to inter the appropriate rehab for the condition and stick with it takes plenty of personal responsibility.....As for the OP, not a fan of the Governor by any stretch but I'm fine with the decision.

Do you think, purely from a physical point of view, that every person on earth has the same chance of becoming addicted to a substance? Or that individuals have a different chance purely because of their physical makeup?

I honestly don't know. But what I do know is for a generation now we have tried to label bad behavior as a medical condition. That removes any element of personal responsibility and as such we've had a generation of youth drugged by doctors diagnosis's of this ailment or that. It's sad

To make the painful decision to inter the appropriate rehab for the condition and stick with it takes plenty of personal responsibility.....As for the OP, not a fan of the Governor by any stretch but I'm fine with the decision.

Do you think that rehab works? Did it work for Any Weinhouse? She wrote a song about how it doesn't work. It made her a lot of money. Did rehab work for Charlie Sheen? Did rehab work for Whitney Houston?

Rehab doesn't work. The function of rehab is to teach people how to be more creative in assigning blame for their addictions.

We honor the absolute WORST among us. Schools lower flags to half mast to honor gang bangers who are murdered by other gang bangers.

Whitney Houston was knocking back straight whiskeys at 8AM the day she died AFTER a night of heavy partying. It takes real committment to the lifestyle to find this honorable. Jim Beam might want to lower their company flag to half mast. That I can see. Mexico might want to lower it's flag to half mast. That I can see. There might have been a time when Whitney Houston was a worthy person and could sing. That hasn't been for 15 years at least. At the time of her death she was reprehensible.

Do you think that rehab works? Did it work for Any Weinhouse? She wrote a song about how it doesn't work. It made her a lot of money. Did rehab work for Charlie Sheen? Did rehab work for Whitney Houston?

Rehab doesn't work. The function of rehab is to teach people how to be more creative in assigning blame for their addictions.

We honor the absolute WORST among us. Schools lower flags to half mast to honor gang bangers who are murdered by other gang bangers.

Antibiotics don't always work either, but the next time your doctor gives you some i would advise taking them.

Just because a treatment doesn't work 100% doesn't mean it shouldn't be used.

Antibiotics don't always work either, but the next time your doctor gives you some i would advise taking them.

Who said that? Anyone? Did anyone say that rehab shouldn't be used even if it is as useless as tits on a bull?

Entering rehab is NOT an exercise of personal responsiblity. It is part of the learning process to avoid personal responsibility. Addicts should NEVER be honored in any way whatsoever.

Whitney Houston was knocking back straight whiskeys at 8AM the day she died AFTER a night of heavy partying. It takes real committment to the lifestyle to find this honorable. Jim Beam might want to lower their company flag to half mast. That I can see. Mexico might want to lower it's flag to half mast. That I can see. There might have been a time when Whitney Houston was a worthy person and could sing. That hasn't been for 15 years at least. At the time of her death she was reprehensible.

Let's not go overboard here...

Reprehensible? She had a substance abuse problem and was unable to gain control over it. Addiction has been a problem for a thousand years. Most are able to avoid it, but those who can't, suffer for the rest of their lives

I prefer to reserve the term reprehensible for people who hurt others

Again, my only objection is that I think the flag should be used to honor heroes and a pop singer is not a hero

Last edited:

I hate to offer this information as I'm sure it will be used against me later but your assumptions of what rehab teaches couldn't be any further from the truth.

I've been through rehab twice. Once when I was on parole. 90 days impatient and once court ordered after a dwi.

The main focus in rehab is on 2 things.

You are taught in great detail the effects drugs and alcohol have on your body and what happens to those organs as the addiction progresses.

Secondly they focus on individual behavior. Both the behavior that leads to use and the "new" behaviors you can use to avoided the desire to use again.

Ultimately the reason rehab fails is individual choice. In otherwords it can be a complete success if you make the individual choice to utilize the material given to you.

Last edited:

Who said that? Anyone? Did anyone say that rehab shouldn't be used even if it is as useless as tits on a bull?

Entering rehab is NOT an exercise of personal responsiblity. It is part of the learning process to avoid personal responsibility. Addicts should NEVER be honored in any way whatsoever.

Why the hell should anyone go to rehab if it's "as useless as tits on a bull"? It's your point of view that ppl shouldn't go to rehab.

Entering rehab is an exercise of personal responsibility. Anytime someone is admitting they have a problem, and trying to fix it, they're exercising personal responsibility.

Let's say someone is addicted to alcohol, and runs into your burning house and saves your daughter or son's life, would you honor that person or shame them since they're still an addict?

Houston was an addict, and she donated millions and millions to charity. The hundreds and maybe thousands of ppl she helped weren't helped in any less of a way because she was an addict. She helped a hell of a lot more ppl than i'll ever be able to, she was an addict, i'm not.

Let's not go overboard here...

Reprehensible? She had a substance abuse problem and was unable to gain control over it. Addiction has been a problem for a thousand years. Most are able to avoid it, but those who can't, suffer for the rest of their lives

Again, my only objection is that I think the flag should be used to honor heroes and a pop singer is not a hero

The day before Houston died, her daughter was found in the bathtub unconscious from her own drug use. She went to the hospital and released the same day, only to be readmitted the next day. That night Houston was partying it up and the next morning was in the restaurant knocking back straights as fast as poor Emilio could bring them.

Yes this is reprehensible. Beyond reprehensible.

Whoa... I pulled the 'give-a-shit' meter out of the desk drawer and I couldn't even get it to register.

Christie is within his rights as governor...

Yup and if the Gov in NJ wants to honor Houston then so what. I'm sure he'll hear from the residents of NJ if they don't like it.

NC flew its flags at half staff when Dale Earnhardt was killed and no one gave a shit.

Whoa... I pulled the 'give-a-shit' meter out of the desk drawer and I couldn't even get it to register.

Yup and if the Gov in NJ wants to honor Houston then so what. I'm sure he'll hear from the residents of NJ if they don't like it.

NC flew its flags at half staff when Dale Earnhardt was killed and no one gave a shit.

Was he an alcoholic drug addict too? I didn't know that.

Was that a US flag or a Confederate flag?

The Confederate flag is still worthy of respect. The American flag gets crapped on and burned.

By the left. Or hadn't you noticed.

Let me ask you a similarly stupid question.

Did you ask that because she is black and he was white?

For the record I couldn't stand him but your question was beyond idiotic.

Let me ask you a similarly stupid question.

Did you ask that because she is black and he was white?

For the record I couldn't stand him but your question was beyond idiotic.

NOOOoooooo.........I asked because he was a NASCAR driver and the Confederate Flag gets more air time than the US Flag

dale.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I oppose it

Not because she was a drug user but because her primary contribution was a pop music star

I think putting flags at half staff should be reserved for military, police, firefighters, public servants and not for someone who was just famous

you know, there was a public school of the arts named for her in NJ. do you know how much money she gave to that school and others? do you know what type of contributions she made to the state? i don't,. btw... and i'm kind of thinking it's a little silly to do this, but it really doesn't change the world.

Tell that to all the people who have been helped by Betty Ford.

Forum List

Back