Should NJ lower it's flags to half mast for Whitney Houston?

Personally, I oppose it

Not because she was a drug user but because her primary contribution was a pop music star

I think putting flags at half mast should be reserved for military, police, firefighters, public servants and not for someone who was just famous

^^^ That. Can we not propagate the celebrity culture and save the honor for those who actually deserve it? It's not like she was a hero, just a singer who chose to kill herself.

I heard him say he was doing it to draw attention to drug abuse and addiction. He called it a disease. That doesn't sit well with me. I consider that a cop out.

I heard him say he was doing it to draw attention to drug abuse and addiction. He called it a disease. That doesn't sit well with me. I consider that a cop out.

if thats the case, that's pretty stupid- the reason he's honoring her is she was a drug addict.

Tennessee did it for Elvis Presley.
California did it for Michale Jackson.
Don't see why N.J. can't do it for one of their own famous people as well.

It's not important, doesn't do any harm, but i would prefer it not be done.

Unless she did a ton of charity work that I'm unaware of, which is possible.

She did a lot of charity work;
Whitney-Fan.com: Whitney Houston's Charity Work

Thanks for finding and posting that link.

Shows that she gave millions to charity, so i can see why this was done.

American Red Cross: Whitney Houston donated all of her proceeds from the single and home video sales of her Superbowl XXV rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" to benefit Gulf War troops and their families. Whitney's record company followed suit. Whitney was elected a member of the American Red Cross Board of Directors in 1991.

I really liked this excerpt especially.

Tennessee did it for Elvis Presley.
California did it for Michale Jackson.
Don't see why N.J. can't do it for one of their own famous people as well.

I know that the states CAN do it, but the OP asks if they should do it. It's a question that asks for opinions.

To me it's a States right and should remain so.
It's just another stupid attack on a Republican Governor.

A pop star?

Was she even on any pop commercials?
Michael Kackson now set himself on fire doing a pop commercial.

I say NO, she has not lived in NJ in how long. Who cares if she is from there. How many soldiers have come home in body bags and did not get the same respect

Makes you wonder how many lives could be saved if our society had a different view of drugs and drug users.

I wish we viewed it as a disease and as an opportunity to help people, rather than an opportunity to throw someone in jail.

And dont' read into that wrong, I'm not advocating gov't set up some huge program.

Well, that is Jersey for you.

I would be very upset if Oregon's governor honored a drug addled white dwarf starlet like this. Jersey can do as it pleases, and we can laugh at Jersey.

Makes you wonder how many lives could be saved if our society had a different view of drugs and drug users.

I wish we viewed it as a disease and as an opportunity to help people, rather than an opportunity to throw someone in jail.

And dont' read into that wrong, I'm not advocating gov't set up some huge program.

Cancer is a disease.... choosing to smoke crack or shoot heroin is not a disease.

Personally, I oppose it

Not because she was a drug user but because her primary contribution was a pop music star

I think putting flags at half mast should be reserved for military, police, firefighters, public servants and not for someone who was just famous

Why are public servants deserving and not someone who gave back to their community?
I would rather someone like Huston be honored than and elected official.

I was thinking Presidents, Senators, Governors......not your local mailman

Makes you wonder how many lives could be saved if our society had a different view of celebrities, drugs and drug users.

Cancer is a disease.... choosing to smoke crack or shoot heroin is not a disease.

C'mon now ... everything is a 'disease' these days and the folks that suffer are the victims.

Forum List

Back