Should NJ lower it's flags to half mast for Whitney Houston?

Personally, I oppose it

Not because she was a drug user but because her primary contribution was a pop music star

I think putting flags at half mast should be reserved for military, police, firefighters, public servants and not for someone who was just famous

Why are public servants deserving and not someone who gave back to their community?
I would rather someone like Huston be honored than and elected official.

I was thinking Presidents, Senators, Governors......not your local mailman

I'd rather a mailman be honored if he were charitable, rather than a big time gov't official be honored solely for being a big time gov't official.

Makes you wonder how many lives could be saved if our society had a different view of drugs and drug users.

I wish we viewed it as a disease and as an opportunity to help people, rather than an opportunity to throw someone in jail.

And dont' read into that wrong, I'm not advocating gov't set up some huge program.

Cancer is a disease.... choosing to smoke crack or shoot heroin is not a disease.

Agree to disagree, it's a mental disease to keep doing these things knowing how harmful they are in my opinion. Same with alcoholism, just to a bigger degree. Alcoholics are alcoholics for life, even if they don't drink.

Makes you wonder how many lives could be saved if our society had a different view of drugs and drug users.

I wish we viewed it as a disease and as an opportunity to help people, rather than an opportunity to throw someone in jail.

And dont' read into that wrong, I'm not advocating gov't set up some huge program.

Makes you wonder how many lives could be saved if our society had a different view of celebrities, drugs and drug users.

Celebrities i agree, we shouldn't worship them, I've never understood that.

But i don't get why we should hate someone, who after using a drug one time, has their mind altered so much that their brain demands they use again no matter the ramifications.

This coming from me, someone who's never once used any illegal drug. Not even weed.

Whoa... I pulled the 'give-a-shit' meter out of the desk drawer and I couldn't even get it to register.

Christie is within his rights as governor...

Why are public servants deserving and not someone who gave back to their community?
I would rather someone like Huston be honored than and elected official.

I was thinking Presidents, Senators, Governors......not your local mailman

I'd rather a mailman be honored if he were charitable, rather than a big time gov't official be honored solely for being a big time gov't official.

You can put the flag on your mailbox at half staff

Chris Christie criticized for Whitney Houston flag plan

Gov Christie has ordered that all state flags in NJ be lowered to half mast this Saturday to honor Whitney Houston

Is it appropriate?

she took a bullet for all of us by marrying Bobby Brown and thereafter showing the world what an asshole he is... thus sidetracking his career and sparing us from having to endure him as a judge on "The Voice"...

so, yeah... lower that flag...

Makes you wonder how many lives could be saved if our society had a different view of celebrities, drugs and drug users.

But i don't get why we should hate someone, who after using a drug one time, has their mind altered so much that their brain demands they use again no matter the ramifications.

This coming from me, someone who's never once used any illegal drug. Not even weed.

Is that what you believe? That using a drug once alters one's mind enough that their brain demands it? Sorry, I ain't buying it. We control our minds. Our minds do not control us. This coming from someone who has smoked weed and from someone who has turned her Life around for the better, knowing that everything I need comes from within. But, I needed the assistance of outside sources to learn the powerful source I have within.

Is that what you believe? That using a drug once alters one's mind enough that their brain demands it? Sorry, I ain't buying it. We control our minds. Our minds do not control us. This coming from someone who has smoked weed and from someone who has turned her Life around for the better, knowing that everything I need comes from within. But, I needed the assistance of outside sources to learn the powerful source I have within.

Ask a doctor how many uses it takes to get hooked on cocaine or meth. One time, and a normally good person could get turned right into a fuck up.

I think we should use it as an opportunity to get the good person back, rather than throw that person in prison.

Ask a doctor how many uses it takes to get hooked on cocaine or meth. One time, and a normally good person could get turned right into a fuck up.

I think we should use it as an opportunity to get the good person back, rather than throw that person in prison.

You goto prison for selling not using.

You goto prison for selling not using.

I'm sure after getting caught using enough times you'll go to jail.

But even still, removing the black market for selling drugs would keep a lot of non-violent ppl out of prisons.

Houston was no goddamn patriot and is NOT deserving of such a "communication" of honor.

I don't agree with Christie, but we did it for Clarence Clemens too. This topic is the #1 most commented article on NJ.com. Another indication of our obsession with celebrities.

But with that said, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Get a life, fellow Jerzoids. We have got a hell of a lot of other things to bitch about. :lol:

The flag is the symbol of our country and has certain protocols and traditions associated with it

I think a flag at half staff has a certain connotation regarding the person it is honoring. Just like Whitney Houston doesn't deserve a flag draped coffin, I don't think she deserves flags flown at half staff in her honor

There are ways to honor celebrities and ways honor American heroes, I don't think they should be mixed

What about ignoring the fact that she's a celebratory, would you support putting the flag at half mast for someone who died and donated millions of dollars to charities during their life?

What about ignoring the fact that she's a celebratory, would you support putting the flag at half mast for someone who died and donated millions of dollars to charities during their life?

Actually, I think there are ways to honor celebrities and philanthropists on their death. I think Houston is worthy of civilian honors, parades, moments of silence, proclamations...

I think a flag at half staff denotes the loss of an American hero. I don't think a pop singer is a hero

Actually, I think there are ways to honor celebrities and philanthropists on their death. I think Houston is worthy of civilian honors, parades, moments of silence, proclamations...

I think a flag at half staff denotes the loss of an American hero. I don't think a pop singer is a hero

I don't think a pop singer is a hero either.

I think someone who donates 100% of their sales proceeds to charity for one of their songs is doing something heroic.

Couldn't care less about her music that i never listened to, her charitable donations? That means a lot to me.

Forum List

Back