Should He or Not?

Yes, he should be in the HoF.

Why bother playing any sport any longer if you are going to start removing names and records from the books because you don't happen to like the guy that holds the record?

If he was using steroids while an active player, and I believe he was, then they should have tested him while he was playing and suspended/fined him then. They didn't do it then because he drew fans to the park.

Now they want to remove his name from the record books? That is a crock of shit.

Jeez you know, on that final play of the Green Bay vs. Arizona game last weekend there was a clear facemask penalty against the Cardinals that would have nullified the touchdown. Perhaps the NFL should take away the win from the Cardinals and award it to the Packers just because the referees didn't see the call.

Hell, the Immaculate Deception is the same thing. Maybe they should go back and put the Raiders in the playoffs instead of the Steelers and play those games over too?

If Mark McGwire was cheating then they should have penalized him then and there, not 10 years later.

Immie

I seriously doubt that McGwire will be in the Hall anytime soon as the is seriously disliked by most of the writers and people that vote. However to make the leap that cheating the game is like a bad call by an umpire or ref in football is a bad analogy and it's more akin to a player stealing the other teams plays or throwing the game on purpose while betting on it and then being honored while doing so because he was a media darling. Yes, those records are meaningless, because if you set out to cheat your records set are only there because you cheat. These men have dishonored the game, themselves and most of all the fans of baseball and to honor them for doing so would send the message that all those who love them game fans. players, managers, kids, etc mean nothing.

Why bother playing any sport any longer if you are going to start removing names and records from the books because you don't happen to like the guy that holds the record?

If he was using steroids while an active player, and I believe he was, then they should have tested him while he was playing and suspended/fined him then. They didn't do it then because he drew fans to the park.

Now they want to remove his name from the record books? That is a crock of shit.

Jeez you know, on that final play of the Green Bay vs. Arizona game last weekend there was a clear facemask penalty against the Cardinals that would have nullified the touchdown. Perhaps the NFL should take away the win from the Cardinals and award it to the Packers just because the referees didn't see the call.

Hell, the Immaculate Deception is the same thing. Maybe they should go back and put the Raiders in the playoffs instead of the Steelers and play those games over too?

If Mark McGwire was cheating then they should have penalized him then and there, not 10 years later.

Immie
The Hall of Fame is a privilege not a right.

Immie
The Hall of Fame is a privilege not a right.

It is also for the fans, not the players.

If I go to the Hall of Fame, I go for the memories.

If half of my memories are erased by a bunch of jackass writers who think they are God's gift to baseball fans then why the hell would I want to go?

Immie

I seriously doubt that McGwire will be in the Hall anytime soon as the is seriously disliked by most of the writers and people that vote. However to make the leap that cheating the game is like a bad call by an umpire or ref in football is a bad analogy and it's more akin to a player stealing the other teams plays or throwing the game on purpose while betting on it and then being honored while doing so because he was a media darling. Yes, those records are meaningless, because if you set out to cheat your records set are only there because you cheat. These men have dishonored the game, themselves and most of all the fans of baseball and to honor them for doing so would send the message that all those who love them game fans. players, managers, kids, etc mean nothing.

Okay, so bad analogy.

I still want the Raiders in the 1972 playoffs.

The point was that you cannot go back and simply erase what happened. Are you going to take away the wins from the A's and Cardinals in every game that he played in?

And if Mark McGwire was "cheating" the game, then they should have punished him then, not the fans now after everything is said and done. But, they would not do it back then because he was drawing in the $$$$$ hand over fist.

Immie

Okay, so bad analogy.

The point was that you cannot go back and simply erase what happened. Are you going to take away the wins from the A's and Cardinals in every game that he played in?

And if Mark McGwire was "cheating" the game, then they should have punished him then, not the fans now after everything is said and done. But, they would not do it back then because he was drawing in the $$$$$ hand over fist.

Immie

No yo can't erase what happened but you can tell them that their records are not vaild and as far as baseball is concerned they have no effect. I don't think by doing so it's cheating the fans, it's actually telling the fans. that we support you because we want to put on an honest game. Think about this for a minute, think about all the young players in the minor leagues that never got their shot aand the fans that never got to see them because of the McGwires, Sosa's , Bonds, and others is that not cheating the fans and the game even more? The records those people set to me are in their own mind as far as I'm concerned and the home run champion as fas as I am concerned is still Hank AAron until such time as an honest effort is made to break it. How do you think Roger Maris family feels now about McGwire, or Bonds ? I'm sorry I have no sympathy for them, yes, I accept the apology and if Baseball honors them and still keeps Pete Rose out of the game after all these years then Pro Baseball is about on the same level as pro-wrestling.

Okay, so bad analogy.

Immie

No yo can't erase what happened but you can tell them that their records are not vaild and as far as baseball is concerned they have no effect. I don't think by doing so it's cheating the fans, it's actually telling the fans. that we support you because we want to put on an honest game. Think about this for a minute, think about all the young players in the minor leagues that never got their shot aand the fans that never got to see them because of the McGwires, Sosa's , Bonds, and others is that not cheating the fans and the game even more? The records those people set to me are in their own mind as far as I'm concerned and the home run champion as fas as I am concerned is still Hank AAron until such time as an honest effort is made to break it. How do you think Roger Maris family feels now about McGwire, or Bonds ? I'm sorry I have no sympathy for them, yes, I accept the apology and if Baseball honors them and still keeps Pete Rose out of the game after all these years then Pro Baseball is about on the same level as pro-wrestling.

I lost interest in Baseball a long time ago. Come to think of it, it was probably about the time McGwire and Canseco began pumping steroids. I was an A's fan growing up.

Baseball has lost it's flare for me partly because of these kinds of politics but also because there are so few "stars" of the game anymore. Gone are the days of the Willie Mays' and the Pete Rose's of the game. Now we have kids playing that are here today... gone tomorrow.

What is there to get excited about anymore? Or is it that I am just getting too damned old? /shrug

Immie

Okay, so bad analogy.

Immie

I lost interest in Baseball a long time ago. Come to think of it, it was probably about the time McGwire and Canseco began pumping steroids. I was an A's fan growing up.

Baseball has lost it's flare for me partly because of these kinds of politics but also because there are so few "stars" of the game anymore. Gone are the days of the Willie Mays' and the Pete Rose's of the game. Now we have kids playing that are here today... gone tomorrow.

What is there to get excited about anymore? Or is it that I am just getting too damned old? /shrug

Immie

Still love the game and I think we all are getting Old lol, and hopefully once the era becomes a faded memory then the game will be much better off.

Mark McGwire's steroids confession is fine, but he should never go to the Hall of Fame. Whats you opinion?

I agree. I think Pete Rose has a better case for being in the HoF. His achievements as a player are unquestioned. Steroid use is basically cheating. Mac knew it. He knew what the consequences could be. Now he has to live with the result.

Great shame, since he had a better than average shot at being a HoFer anyway.

Forum List

Back