Should employee benefits be tax exempt?

Should government approved employee benefits be tax exempt? Why or why not?

• Total voters
This Idea Was Floated During The Last Admin
It Didn't Make It
Is It Being Brought Up Again
And By Whom

This Idea Was Floated During The Last Admin
It Didn't Make It
Is It Being Brought Up Again
And By Whom

First I've heard of it. Who?

Also, what's your opinion?

Last edited:
Well, some benefits are, like portions of health benefits that taken out before taxes are. Generally though, benefits are gained as a part of employment, so no they should not be exempt.

I did not choose an option because you left out "in the middle" or possibly "independent", either of which I would have selected.

Well, some benefits are, like portions of health benefits that taken out before taxes are. Generally though, benefits are gained as a part of employment, so no they should not be exempt.

Why health insurance? Is that the only benefit that should be tax exempt?

Absolutely they should be deductible. Giving these benefits is a cost of doing business in America if you have valuable employees you want to keep.

That was going to be my question. What benefits does the OP refer to?

But in general I'd say no. But then imo everyone should be covered by HC insurance. The devil of course is in the details.

But in general I'd say no. But then imo everyone should be covered by HC insurance. The devil of course is in the details.

Why? Why do you believe insurance is the only way to pay for health care? Why can't people try out different solutions?

Not everyone needs health insurance. When I was a young man I didn't have any and didn't need anything. My grandfather didn't go to a doctor one time for 60 years he didn't need it either. In addition, a lot of people prefer to go to naturopaths and homeopaths and other alternative health providers who are not part of the medical insurance panels.

Why? Why do you believe insurance is the only way to pay for health care? Why can't people try out different solutions?
because paying docs with chickens and potatoes really won't work anymore.

Cute, but seriously - why do you feel justified forcing your preferred health care financing scheme on everyone else?

Health care pros take cash directly from the patient you should know.

Cute, but seriously - why do you feel justified forcing your preferred health care financing scheme on everyone else?

What’s your alternative scheme?

Really depends on what benefits. I can see CEO’s getting paid a lot in tax free “benefits”...

What’s your alternative scheme?

I dunno. Does it matter?

No offense but we've had mult threads on HC, and G5000 and myself have been there and done that. And as I posted above, the devil's in the details. As noted in others' posts, obviously a 26 year old in Obamacare's premiums subsidized older people's care, because younger people ON AVERAGE don't need as much. But if everyone who waits to 60 to access HC for the first time wants to pay the same as other 60 year olds whove gotten preventative care, then they're subisized by the rest of us.

But my blow off response with chickens wasn't just a smart ass comment. I'm not interested in derailing your thread. But I don't see your response as "everyone not needing insurance" as being very responsive to my question about what you mean by "benefits."

Adios

Health care pros take cash directly from the patient you should know.

Which is tax deductible.

I didn't vote, the question seems a little vague, 'benefits' can mean many things.

Health insurance, yes.

Forum List

Back