should creation science be taught in public schools...

D

deciophobic

This is mainly for people who don't want it taught...why?

ugh...i need reasons for them not to teach it for a paper i'm writing...but thanks anyway.

I suppose one could argue that using tax dollars to teach religious messages is illegal under the first amendment. I'm not sure I agree with that argument, but nevertheless there it is.

Originally posted by deciophobic
ugh...i need reasons for them not to teach it for a paper i'm writing...but thanks anyway.

You realize when you get these assignments, they want what YOU think, not what others think, right?

Just tell your teacher to f off. Tell him you don't feel like doing it, and school is just a way that older people keep the youth out of the job market.

The problem with creation "science" is that it isn't science. It requires belief in a divine creator. Creation "science" has been invented by religious groups as a way to sneak religious prosthelyzing into public schools. And Matt, privitizing education won't work, unless you intend to use government funding to pay for scholarships for every child in this country who can't afford the private school tuition, uniform, and books. Trust me, that'll be far more expensive than the public school system we have now.

acludem

...Is nothing more than religious dogma dressed in flimsy robes of pseudo-science. Religion should be taught at home or in the church/synagogue/mosque, etc.

If you want to teach religion in schools, do it as part of a survey of all of the world's great religions...After providing coursework in effective decision making and critical thinking. Then kids can make an informed choice about religion.

Originally posted by mattskramer
Privatize education and we make the issue mute.

And it would leave most without an education. As it is now, with the rapid rate of tuition increases, many are being left behind in their quest for higher education. Imagine what it would be like if folks living below the poverty line had to pay for the education of their children. We see such systems in place in many third world countries now. When faced with the choice between putting food on the table or paying for their children's education, survival wins out over education.

It's the surest way to wind up with a permanently impoverished under-class.

Religion and culture should be the responsibilty of the family, not the public school system. Private school has nothing to do with this. You don't send your Catholic kid to a private Jewish school do ya?

Originally posted by acludem
The problem with creation "science" is that it isn't science. It requires belief in a divine creator. Creation "science" has been invented by religious groups as a way to sneak religious prosthelyzing into public schools. And Matt, privitizing education won't work, unless you intend to use government funding to pay for scholarships for every child in this country who can't afford the private school tuition, uniform, and books. Trust me, that'll be far more expensive than the public school system we have now.

acludem

Funny you won't come on your education thread to defend your anti privatization stance. what are ya, yella?

Anyway. Mass privatization would completely change the private education market; there will be options available for everyone.

The system we have now is a indefensible piece of crap.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
...Is nothing more than religious dogma dressed in flimsy robes of pseudo-science. Religion should be taught at home or in the church/synagogue/mosque, etc.

If you want to teach religion in schools, do it as part of a survey of all of the world's great religions...After providing coursework in effective decision making and critical thinking. Then kids can make an informed choice about religion.
I'm sorry but I just can't let this lie...pun intended.

if you teach evolution you are teaching exactly the opposite of what some religious people believe. You are, therefore, infringing on their right to practice their religion. Evolution should then not be taught in schools.

Isn't the better option to teach that there are many philosophies out there?

Why is it that you continually need to attack and defame that with which you do not agree? It's incredible, really, that you can't just discuss a topic without being such a crass hypocrite.

I'm sure to relgious people, evolution is nothing more than anti-religious dogma dressed up in pseudo-intellectual robes...

Originally posted by Zhukov
I suppose one could argue that using tax dollars to teach religious messages is illegal under the first amendment. I'm not sure I agree with that argument, but nevertheless there it is.

I think I agree with this, but if there are(and there seem to be) alot of people who don't believe in Evolution and who believe strongly in Creationism then it at least deserves a mention.

Let's teach our kids how to get along with others and be free, independednt thinkers who value life and nature and let themselves decide how the world was created! As if any of us can be positive about this....

Originally posted by acludem

acludem

I support the privatization of education. I also thing that attendance should be optional. My grandfather never went beyond 8th grade but he did well. Popular house wives can earn extra change by educating local kids at her home. Businesses will give gifts to private schools that educate future prospective employees. There will be charity schools, fund-raisers for "poor cheap" schools. There will be private scholarships and grants. There will be all sorts of possibilities once over-bloated, repressive government bureaucrats get out of the way.

Originally posted by Moi
I'm sorry but I just can't let this lie...pun intended.

if you teach evolution you are teaching exactly the opposite of what some religious people believe. You are, therefore, infringing on their right to practice their religion. Evolution should then not be taught in schools.

Isn't the better option to teach that there are many philosophies out there?

Why is it that you continually need to attack and defame that with which you do not agree? It's incredible, really, that you can't just discuss a topic without being such a crass hypocrite.

I'm sure to relgious people, evolution is nothing more than anti-religious dogma dressed up in pseudo-intellectual robes...

Hmm. Well, some religions don't believe in modern science so by your theory wouldn't the teaching of science in general be against their religion? How do we deal with that?

Originally posted by mattskramer
I support the privatization of education. I also thing that attendance should be optional. My grandfather never went beyond 8th grade but he did well. Popular house wives can earn extra change by educating local kids at her home. Businesses will give gifts to private schools that educate future prospective employees. There will be charity schools, fund-raisers for "poor cheap" schools. There will be private scholarships and grants. There will be all sorts of possibilities once over-bloated, repressive government bureaucrats get out of the way.

I'd be curious to know how the law first came to be passed which requires children to be in school til the age of 16. Not that I disagree with it, but I might understand it better if I knew the details of its origin.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Hmm. Well, some religions don't believe in modern science so by your theory wouldn't the teaching of science in general be against their religion? How do we deal with that?
My point is that a world devoid of mentioning religion is as absurd as one in which anyone who believes they are being discriminated against can stop things.

If you teach evolution, teach about the alternate theories. It takes more than a few lessons in school to undermine the fundamental relgious/nonreligious beliefs of individuals.

Originally posted by nycflasher
I'd be curious to know how the law first came to be passed which requires children to be in school til the age of 16. Not that I disagree with it, but I might understand it better if I knew the details of its origin.

Bureaucratic power grab disguised as an assumed need to universalize education for all I know.

Forum List

Back