Vietnam Era MK-II Fighting Knife Brought Back to Life

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I found a Vietnam era ('62 -'74) Camillus-made US MK-II fighting knife (think Ka-Bar) at the flea market. All that was left was the metal, the leather handle had rotted away. There was no sheath....I gave $2.00 for it.

I thought about putting a stag handle on it as I had a piece of Mule Deer antler big enough for the task but then I spied a set of M7 bayonet scales (the M7 is an M16 bayonet) I had pulled off a M7 bayonet that I had left on the workbench and tried those....Perfect fit! All I had to do was drill holes for the scale's bolts.

The blade was right rusty/rough but it came in shaving sharp. The worst part was the guard that was all bent up. I got it more or less straightened out.

I ordered a decent leather sheath for it for $20.00, not bad for a $22.00 investment. ;)

c 001 (2).JPG

c 003 (2).JPG

c 002 (2).JPG

What it would have looked like when issued:

VIETNAM-ERA-US-CAMILLUS-NY-BLADE-MARKED-MK-2-USMC-.jpg

I found a Vietnam era ('62 -'74) Camillus-made US MK-II fighting knife (think Ka-Bar) at the flea market. All that was left was the metal, the leather handle had rotted away. There was no sheath....I gave $2.00 for it.

I thought about putting a stag handle on it as I had a piece of Mule Deer antler big enough for the task but then I spied a set of M7 bayonet scales (the M7 is an M16 bayonet) I had pulled off a M7 bayonet that I had left on the workbench and tried those....Perfect fit! All I had to do was drill holes for the scale's bolts.

The blade was right rusty/rough but it came in shaving sharp. The worst part was the guard that was all bent up. I got it more or less straightened out.

I ordered a decent leather sheath for it for $20.00, not bad for a $22.00 investment. ;)

View attachment 941559

View attachment 941561

View attachment 941560

What it would have looked like when issued:

VIETNAM-ERA-US-CAMILLUS-NY-BLADE-MARKED-MK-2-USMC-.jpg
That looks great . Fine job.

Forum List

Back