CDZ Should a President or his administration be criticized or challenged during a crisis?

When is it appropriate to challenge or investigate a President's handling of a crisis?

• Never

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Only after the crisis is over

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Only afterwards to question whether he could have taken action to prevent deaths

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only afterward to see whether he misled Americans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only afterward to learn lessons to use to prevent future similar events

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • As the crisis is happening to question whether the appropriate actions are being taken

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • As the crisis is happening to question whether he is misleading Americans.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Should a President be challenged or criticized during a crisis. Yes, he or she should, however there needs to also be some leeway given, otherwise you can look like a political whore, trying to score points. Biden criticizing Trump on his limiting travel from China looks really stupid now.

The President needs to act in what he feels is in the best interest of the country. However he also needs to temper what he says. Trump crossed a line when he mentioned that chloroquine could be a cure. He should have said there are existing drugs that are showing promise and we are working with the FDA to get see if they work and get them to market.
Biden criticised TRUMP on his use of Chinese Virus verse calling it by its name, corona virus 19, NOT his travel ban..... You bought in to the faux right wing spin.

You can "fat check" that all ya want.. But Biden made those comments the DAY AFTER the travel ban was announced and the CONTEXT was "the Presidents actions on the virus outbreak"....

You can pretend whatever you want- but Joe Biden didn't criticize Trump for his travel ban- I am glad to provide the quote again:
Biden tweeted: “We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency.”

But Biden did not explicitly tie xenophobia to the travel restriction. His tweet reflects coronavirus remarks he made during a campaign stop in Iowa Jan. 31, the day the travel restrictions were announced.

Biden said: “This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria xenophobia, hysterical xenophobia, and fear-mongering to lead the way instead of science.”

Which was in response to Trump's repeated xenophobic and intentional use of the dog whistle 'Chinese virus'

Trump knows what appeals to his base- racist and xenophobic terms.

Sorry, but even the excuse about "naming" of the virus is ill informed.. Look up the medical name for "ebola" or any number of OTHER epidemic diseases... And remember, Biden is the guy who said "We believe in TRUTH, NOT FACTS" and any number of other disjointed mind farts... I'd rather assign doubt on THAT basis then completely IGNORE the ACTUAL connection to those remarks..

Should a President be challenged or criticized during a crisis. Yes, he or she should, however there needs to also be some leeway given, otherwise you can look like a political whore, trying to score points. Biden criticizing Trump on his limiting travel from China looks really stupid now.

The President needs to act in what he feels is in the best interest of the country. However he also needs to temper what he says. Trump crossed a line when he mentioned that chloroquine could be a cure. He should have said there are existing drugs that are showing promise and we are working with the FDA to get see if they work and get them to market.
Biden criticised TRUMP on his use of Chinese Virus verse calling it by its name, corona virus 19, NOT his travel ban..... You bought in to the faux right wing spin.

You can "fat check" that all ya want.. But Biden made those comments the DAY AFTER the travel ban was announced and the CONTEXT was "the Presidents actions on the virus outbreak"....

You can pretend whatever you want- but Joe Biden didn't criticize Trump for his travel ban- I am glad to provide the quote again:
Biden tweeted: “We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency.”

But Biden did not explicitly tie xenophobia to the travel restriction. His tweet reflects coronavirus remarks he made during a campaign stop in Iowa Jan. 31, the day the travel restrictions were announced.

Biden said: “This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria xenophobia, hysterical xenophobia, and fear-mongering to lead the way instead of science.”

Which was in response to Trump's repeated xenophobic and intentional use of the dog whistle 'Chinese virus'

Trump knows what appeals to his base- racist and xenophobic terms.

Sorry, but even the excuse about "naming" of the virus is ill informed.. Look up the medical name for "ebola" or any number of OTHER epidemic diseases... And remember, Biden is the guy who said "We believe in TRUTH, NOT FACTS" and any number of other disjointed mind farts... I'd rather assign doubt on THAT basis then completely IGNORE the ACTUAL connection to those remarks..
Yes Biden gaffes on we believe in TRUTH, not ALTERNATIVE facts....

He missed saying kellyann' s favorite term, alternative facts.

If you actually read the Fact check, it shows Biden's tweet was right after Trump's tweet, calling the Novel Corona Virus, the Chinese Virus.

That triggered Joe's comment.

If it were not for all the right wing media regurgitating their made up opinion that Joe said the travel ban of TRUMPs was xenophobic, would anyone even think such?

I don't believe so....

EVnXHcXUMAEqMK_

He also criticized Trump’s travel ban, he did it the day after Trump installed the travel restrictions. No, other reason for him to bring up the ban. Your op-Ed piece is only an op-Ed piece. Opinion, not fact. Thanks for the spin.
And once again- Biden didn't even mention the ban in his tweets. Fact, not opinion. Thanks for the spin.
Did he need to? You knew what Biden was doing, it wasn’t rocket science but you can spin away.
Did Biden need to criticize Trump? No one ever 'needs' to criticize a President.
I certainly do know what Biden was doing- Biden's words speak for themselves. I find it fascinating that people choose to take the actual words of Joe Biden- and insist that his words mean something different than what he actually said.

Then when President Trump announces that as President he has total authority as President- I quote: "When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's got to be."- the right scrambles to explain that you should ignore Trump's actual words.

This is not specifically about our current coronavirus crisis but about how and when it is appropriate to challenge, criticize, or even investigate a President or his Administration's(hereafter just the President) handling of a crisis.
Is it ever appropriate?
Should all criticism wait until after the crisis is over?
Is there a place to criticize how a crisis is being handled while the crisis is ongoing?
is it appropriate to question whether he is misleading or misled the American public?
Is it appropriate to question whether his actions or inactions resulted in the deaths of Americans?
And if so, should all of those questions only be asked after the crisis over?
Or not at all?

My 1st amendment right defines what's appropriate as far as my speech. My 2nd amendment right enforces my 1st amendment right. Not some teat suckling, talking head politician.
I think you are really confused about what the First Amendment says.
Lots of people like you are.
The First Amendment only says that the government cannot(other than a very few specific exceptions) restrict your speech.
it doesn't address whether what you say is 'appropriate' or not. The government will not stop you from calling your grandmother a whore- but your family and society might find it inappropriate.

So in this specific case- I am not asking whether you have the legal right to express your opinion- I am asking a general question about when is it appropriate to criticize a President during or after a crisis.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

You haven't. You offer no qualifier as to who or what decides what's appropriate. If it's government, then my free speech may be curtailed due to a bureaucrat who won't hear my criticisms. And that's how wars start. If it's society, well I haven't really been too bothered about what society seems appropriate, so the sky is the limit as far as I'm concerned.

If we're referring to the current *pResident, I believe he's a malignant tumor of corruption hanging around the neck of our country like an orange albatross. I have no trust nor confidence in his leadership. So I believe it's open season to criticize said leadership of him at any time, regardless if our ship is sinking or whether we are in a mutually assured destruction scenario.
I am sorry that you are still confused.
I think I made it very clear that I am not talking about the government. But just to help you out- I am not referring to the government.
Nor is this thread specific to this President. While I may agree with your general assessment of Trump as President, my point really is that I think that we should hold all Presidents to similar standards regardless of whether we personally like that President or not.

In other words- if I felt that Obama should not have ever been criticized for his actions or inactions during a crisis- it would be hypocritical to then criticize Trump for his actions or inactions during a crisis.

However, the reverse is how I actually feel- I think it is always appropriate to criticize a President for his actions or inactions. I may disagree with the criticisms but I think it is appropriate to criticize a President- and his administration for how they are doing the job they are there to do.

He also criticized Trump’s travel ban, he did it the day after Trump installed the travel restrictions. No, other reason for him to bring up the ban. Your op-Ed piece is only an op-Ed piece. Opinion, not fact. Thanks for the spin.
And once again- Biden didn't even mention the ban in his tweets. Fact, not opinion. Thanks for the spin.
Did he need to? You knew what Biden was doing, it wasn’t rocket science but you can spin away.
Did Biden need to criticize Trump? No one ever 'needs' to criticize a President.
I certainly do know what Biden was doing- Biden's words speak for themselves. I find it fascinating that people choose to take the actual words of Joe Biden- and insist that his words mean something different than what he actually said.

Then when President Trump announces that as President he has total authority as President- I quote: "When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's got to be."- the right scrambles to explain that you should ignore Trump's actual words.

Anyone can criticize the President and we all have the right to criticize Biden. It’s easy to connect the dots and what is implied. I don’t scramble to cover for Trump’s words. He says a lot of things he shouldn’t.

I don't do tweets.. Therefore I did not get it from there.. A got it from the video of a rally stop Biden made the day after the Corona ban..

What was the DATE of that tweet?? What ELSE could he be referring to as "hysteria, XENOPHOBIA and fear-mongering" -- THE DAY after the travel ban?? You need to fire your "fact checkers" and practice some defensive measures consuming "new analysis"...

I can think of NO OTHER REASON to tie COVID to xenophobia and fear-mongering in the CONTEXT of the news for those days.. CAN YOU??? Give me one... Because you probably can't unless you pull the "Biden is weak-minded and rambling" card...
So you are assuming.
Yet you reject the assumptions of anyone else.

What else could he have been referring to? Another poster provided a link to an article that explained exactly what Biden could have been referring to- in context- but you rejected that as 'only an opinion'. I think your bias is showing. You reject any alternative except the narrative promoted by Trump.

I can think of NO OTHER REASON to tie COVID to xenophobia and fear-mongering in the CONTEXT of the news for those days.. CAN YOU??? Give me one.
From the very article you dismissed earlier:
Biden has not directly said that the restrictions were xenophobic. Around the time the Trump administration announced the travel restriction, Biden said that Trump had a “record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering.” Biden used the phrase “xenophobic” in reply to a Trump tweet about limiting entry to travelers from China and in which he described the coronavirus as the “Chinese virus.” Biden did not spell out which part of Trump’s tweet was xenophobic.

I also will point out that this is not the first time that Biden has called out Trump's racism and xenophobia- this is a continuation of Biden pointing out Trump's racist and xenophobic actions.
In August Biden pointed out:
Indeed, we have a president with a toxic tongue who has publicly and unapologetically embraced a political strategy of hate, racism, and division

Way back in 2015 Biden was already pointing it out
here's one guy absolutely denigrating an entire group of people, appealing to the baser side of human nature, working on this notion of xenophobia in a way that hasn't occurred in a long time,"

Anyone can criticize the President and we all have the right to criticize Biden. It’s easy to connect the dots and what is implied. I don’t scramble to cover for Trump’s words. He says a lot of things he shouldn’t.
I absolutely believe you can criticize Biden.

If I have to look at the two statements we are talking about- Biden criticizing Trump for racism and xenophobia and Trump declaring that as President he has total authority- its pretty easy to decide which of those two statements is far scarier.

If I have to look at the two statements we are talking about- Biden criticizing Trump for racism and xenophobia and Trump declaring that as President he has total authority- its pretty easy to decide which of those two statements is far scarier.

I was only looking at the one. We can look at the other if you want. I don’t find it scary, I find it rather silly, but not scary. Why would it be scary?

I was only looking at the one. We can look at the other if you want. I don’t find it scary, I find it rather silly, but not scary. Why would it be scary?
Gee why would a President declaring that he alone has total authority over the states in America be scary? Especially after he states specifically that he believes that is the way it has to be.

Gee why would a President declaring that he alone has total authority over the states in America be scary? Especially after he states specifically that he believes that is the way it has to be.
We have a Constitution much stronger than any President. The majority of Americans would step up and he would be removed. It is that simple. We have powers of separation that would make a takeover impossible.

This is not specifically about our current coronavirus crisis but about how and when it is appropriate to challenge, criticize, or even investigate a President or his Administration's(hereafter just the President) handling of a crisis.
Is it ever appropriate?
Should all criticism wait until after the crisis is over?
Is there a place to criticize how a crisis is being handled while the crisis is ongoing?
is it appropriate to question whether he is misleading or misled the American public?
Is it appropriate to question whether his actions or inactions resulted in the deaths of Americans?
And if so, should all of those questions only be asked after the crisis over?
Or not at all?

My 1st amendment right defines what's appropriate as far as my speech. My 2nd amendment right enforces my 1st amendment right. Not some teat suckling, talking head politician.
I think you are really confused about what the First Amendment says.
Lots of people like you are.
The First Amendment only says that the government cannot(other than a very few specific exceptions) restrict your speech.
it doesn't address whether what you say is 'appropriate' or not. The government will not stop you from calling your grandmother a whore- but your family and society might find it inappropriate.

So in this specific case- I am not asking whether you have the legal right to express your opinion- I am asking a general question about when is it appropriate to criticize a President during or after a crisis.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

You haven't. You offer no qualifier as to who or what decides what's appropriate. If it's government, then my free speech may be curtailed due to a bureaucrat who won't hear my criticisms. And that's how wars start. If it's society, well I haven't really been too bothered about what society seems appropriate, so the sky is the limit as far as I'm concerned.

If we're referring to the current *pResident, I believe he's a malignant tumor of corruption hanging around the neck of our country like an orange albatross. I have no trust nor confidence in his leadership. So I believe it's open season to criticize said leadership of him at any time, regardless if our ship is sinking or whether we are in a mutually assured destruction scenario.
I am sorry that you are still confused.
I think I made it very clear that I am not talking about the government. But just to help you out- I am not referring to the government.
Nor is this thread specific to this President. While I may agree with your general assessment of Trump as President, my point really is that I think that we should hold all Presidents to similar standards regardless of whether we personally like that President or not.

In other words- if I felt that Obama should not have ever been criticized for his actions or inactions during a crisis- it would be hypocritical to then criticize Trump for his actions or inactions during a crisis.

However, the reverse is how I actually feel- I think it is always appropriate to criticize a President for his actions or inactions. I may disagree with the criticisms but I think it is appropriate to criticize a President- and his administration for how they are doing the job they are there to do.

I agree.

We have a Constitution much stronger than any President. The majority of Americans would step up and he would be removed. It is that simple. We have powers of separation that would make a takeover impossible.
I agree- but we have a President who believes he has that authority.

I agree- but we have a President who believes he has that authority.

And he hasn’t done anything to cross the line. I’m good until he does. Then he will get slapped hard by the Constitution.

Forum List

Back