Shifting issues with trailblazer

Preacher

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2015
Georgia Mountains
About a week ago little nuts broke on shift cable so replaced those and then it got stuck in drive so removed entire shift handle and started using cable to shift gears. Bought new shifter and it fits and is working but now it freely shifts without pushing the brake pedal down. Cable moves like its supposed to but at times now it won't let the key come out of ignition even when its in park and I can hear the doors unlock. Thinking it might be the little motor on the shifter but not entirely sure. The shifter won't LOCK in place like its supposed to and I don't understand WHY. Damn motor is 76$ which SUCKS! The cable also freely changes gears without brake pedal being pressed....

About a week ago little nuts broke on shift cable so replaced those and then it got stuck in drive so removed entire shift handle and started using cable to shift gears. Bought new shifter and it fits and is working but now it freely shifts without pushing the brake pedal down. Cable moves like its supposed to but at times now it won't let the key come out of ignition even when its in park and I can hear the doors unlock. Thinking it might be the little motor on the shifter but not entirely sure. The shifter won't LOCK in place like its supposed to and I don't understand WHY. Damn motor is 76$ which SUCKS! The cable also freely changes gears without brake pedal being pressed....
It has to be something with the cable adjustment or possibly the motor that unlocks it. I never experienced this problem but from my experience it has to be there in the console. What happens of you disconnect the motor? Try this also, Disconnect cable at trans. (it just snaps off) make sure it is in park. Then put the shifter in park. Then see if the cable will snap back onto the trans, under the car. If it's too short or too long the cable needs to be adjusted. It's been a long time but if you didn't change the cable it has to be up top.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back