Sheltering from a bushfire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diuretic, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    There's a bushfire in eastern Victoria (it's a state in the south-eastern bit of the Australian mainland). I was listening to a radio interview with the bloke who runs the local pub in a small town which lost five or six houses in the bushfire. He was saying that his pub was in a very safe area and that it was a shelter for the townsfolk who had evacuated their homes for the safety of the pub.

The journalist interviewing the publican asked him a few questions and then joked that he was running an informal rescue centre. The publican then told him that it wasn't just humans in there. He had about seven wild kangaroos and wombats in the lounge of the pub, sheltering from the heat and the bushfire!

I've been in a pub (place called Silverton, in western New South Wales) and had a beer alongside a horse (no rider, just the horse who used to come in every afternoon for a bucket of beer) but I've never had a beer in a pub with wild roos and wombats. The bloke should invite them back after the fires, think of the tourism possibilities :D

But good for him, looking after the poor little buggers.

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    When I read this ... all I wanted to do was translate for the local rednecks.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Oh, sorry. I sometimes forget myself and I write the way I think (s-l-o-o-o-o-o-w-l-y :lol:) and sometimes there's too much slang. :redface:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Oz loses World Heritage-listed forests to bushfires...

Tasmania bushfires raze ancient forests
    Sun, Jan 31, 2016 - MAY BE LOST FOREVER: While no properties have been destroyed and no one was hurt in the blazes, parts of western Tasmania’s famed wilderness have been ravaged
    See also:

Australian mines, residents brace as storm approaches
    Sun, Jan 31, 2016 - A cyclone gathered strength as it headed for the northwest coast of Western Australia yesterday, forcing ports to close and mining companies to evacuate.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Is bushfire season in Australia...
    [​IMG]
    Australian firefighters battle five bushfires going out of control, as 60 other fires flare up across NSW
    Saturday 5th November, 2016 - Hundreds of firefighters are engaged in battling bushfires that have flared up across New South Wales, since the afternoon of November 4.