Share Tweet Mom Sentenced To Ten Years In Prison For Selling $31 Of Marijuana

How is this what's best for society?

I don't see it as a "best for society" issue. I see it as a PUNISHMENT for MORAL CRIMES issue. In which case I'd have prefered to see them locked up for even LONGER.

They gambled and lost. Too bad. I feel no sorrow for them, whatsoever.

Mad doesn't think ten years is a tad excessive here? How is this what's best for society?

I don't know, she had pot on her at sentencing...being that dumb should cost you.
Putting her in prison costs all the taxpayers in her state.

It's not a capitol offense, whatchagonna do?

The judge claims there was more to it than a nickel bag. It was their lifestyle, the kids were used and she clearly was not getting it.

Parole in 4 years, probably sooner.

Worth every penny to rescue the child.
And the only way to 'rescue the child' is by putting her in prison?

Where will the child go and why can't (s)he go there with this woman on work furlough or probation?

I don't know if it is "the only way."

What I do know is that she broke the law, and it was the immediately available solution to the problem she created.

She's a horrible parent, and a drug dealer.

Seems a pretty obvious solution to me.

I don't know, she had pot on her at sentencing...being that dumb should cost you.

probation

or a term in jail on work furlough
The judge claims there was more to it than a nickel bag. It was their lifestyle, the kids were used and she clearly was not getting it.

You can also require her to attend parenting classes and deny her custody of her children until the court is convinced she can provide a positive home enviroment

probation

You can also require her to attend parenting classes and deny her custody of her children until the court is convinced she can provide a positive home enviroment

If you don't like the law, change it. We have a process for that.

Good luck.....most don't share your opinion, so it is going to be an uphill battle.

But I encourage you to get involved, instead of just sitting on your ass and bitching about everything you don't agree with.

probation

Not a fan of legislation from the bench.

If you want Marijuana legalized or decriminalized, then work towards that in your state. In the meantime it's still illegal.

If I truly believe that the state speed limit of 65 is too low and drive 75 instead, I can't just say "The law is wrong man! Cars and Roads today can handle the higher speeds".

That doesn't matter. I still have to accept the ticket and pay the fine if I get caught. It's called "taking personal responsibility for your actions".

Hey, if marijuana was legal then maybe I would toke up with you guys. But until it is, I'll just stay away from it.

Spare us your lectures on what we ought to do.

If you don't realize that putting somebody in prison for selling a harmless weed is a social EVIL, if you're okay with that just because that is what the laws tells you, then there really is no common ground upon which we can discuss this issue.

The law isn't just wrong, the law is evil, sport.
I didn't tell you what to do, only what I would do. Lighten up Francis!

If you wanna' toke up, go ahead and do so. But when you get caught, you have only yourself to blame.

Plus, you're confusing "Civil Rights" with "Civil Liberties".

Last edited:
The only sad thing about this story is that she probably made better money selling pot then she did getting a real job. After all, it's the progressive way.

The Federal Marijuana laws are unconstitutional.

Stupidity however cannot be considered unconstitutional.

Mad doesn't think ten years is a tad excessive here? How is this what's best for society?
I didn't say it was. In fact, I gave a little note to myself about selling marijuana in Oklahoma. Did you not see it?

You do know states can make their own laws about marijuana in certain amounts? Usually, but not all the time, one ounce is considered "intent to distribute". But I'm sure you know that.

If a state populace, through voting, wants to make possession of small amounts of marijuana a misdemeanor or just a traffic ticket, that's their right to do so. If some want to make it a mandatory jail sentence, then that's their right to do so. See how that works? What do you have against States Rights?

May I remind you that there are 49 other states that you can live in besides Oklahoma if you don't like their marijuana laws?

honestly, i don't see the ''power'' given to the gvt in our constitution...in fact, i view it as unconstitutional....and so did all of our citizens and forefathers for the first 100 years or so....on the history channel, they had a documentary that said our forefathers probably smoked hemp....we know they grew it on plantations...it was the law that farmers had to during certain periods....for the rope made from it, i believe the documentary said....

She'll serve maybe TWO, of the ten.

3 tops.

(I think I read where she would be eligible for parole in 3?)

And this is a part of the argument that I'm not sure has been brought up. They may have given her 10 knowing that was a guarantee that she would serve 3, and a mandatory 3 was not an option.

What got her the time was the minor being there. Ridiculously high sentence.... if this stands than 45% of America should be in prison. Where's the outrage from everyone? Marijuana is yesterday's liquor. We know half the country uses it. We know that potheads are typically non-violent. We know it will someday be legal... so why are we not more compassionate about this?

Forum List

Back