Share Tweet Mom Sentenced To Ten Years In Prison For Selling $31 Of Marijuana

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by JBeukema, Feb 27, 2011.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    How $31 of pot gave mom a 10-year-prison sentence | NewsOK.com

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    So they sold marijuana, plead guilty and were sentenced. But we're supposed to feel sorry for them? Regardless of what you think of Marijuana laws, it's still illegal.

But I guess a certain Police Department didn't get the Obama memo about not enforcing laws did they?

Note to self: Don't sell marijuana in Oklahoma, if caught, potential exists for ten year jail sentence and ass rape.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Our nation is nuts.

Mad Scientist was kind enough to show us just how nuts it is, too.

Thanks, man.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    If you want Marijuana legalized or decriminalized, then work towards that in your state. In the meantime it's still illegal.

If I truly believe that the state speed limit of 65 is too low and drive 75 instead, I can't just say "The law is wrong man! Cars and Roads today can handle the higher speeds".

That doesn't matter. I still have to accept the ticket and pay the fine if I get caught. It's called "taking personal responsibility for your actions".

Hey, if marijuana was legal then maybe I would toke up with you guys. But until it is, I'll just stay away from it.

5. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Mad doesn't think ten years is a tad excessive here? How is this what's best for society?

6. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    Any time for a pot "possesion" charge is too much.... but the lady was "selling" it, and thats where she made the HUGE mistake. Like it or not.... she is an idiot.

Obviously she didnt know the buyer....errrr COP, and she did it anyways.... with her kids in her presence. She is a dumbass.....

No I dont think 10 yrs is fair.... not at all, but she was still an idiot, but I doubt she is a menace to society, and YES, I do feel sorry for her and her family.

I think the marijuana laws SUCK!

Now.... I am going to suk down a bowl & kick back :cool:

7. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    I didn't say it was. In fact, I gave a little note to myself about selling marijuana in Oklahoma. Did you not see it?

You do know states can make their own laws about marijuana in certain amounts? Usually, but not all the time, one ounce is considered "intent to distribute". But I'm sure you know that.

If a state populace, through voting, wants to make possession of small amounts of marijuana a misdemeanor or just a traffic ticket, that's their right to do so. If some want to make it a mandatory jail sentence, then that's their right to do so. See how that works? What do you have against States Rights?

May I remind you that there are 49 other states that you can live in besides Oklahoma if you don't like their marijuana laws?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Yes, she's stupid. Yes, having her kids around (and arguably involved) was a very poor decision. Yes, there is a need to intervene.

But ten years in prison? The children losing their mother whilst they grow up?

The purpose of the Law is supposed to be to serve the best interest of society as a whole- that's why theft and drugs with ties to violence and other crimes are criminalized. It's why we have prisons and CPS.

But how on Earth is this the best way to go for the children or society as a whole? Wouldn't probation with monitoring/check-ups from CPS to ensure she's providing a healthy home enviroment be better than taking the children from their mother and sending her to prison (with all that entails during incarceration and when trying to gain employment and do right afterward)?

9. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    If the law is a bad law, it must be resisted, spoken out against, and repealed regardless of the majority that voted for it. By your reasoning, racial segregation was the right of the states' voting populace.

This is a bad law/ruling that harms society as a whole. As such, we've a moral duty to oppose it, speak out against it, and demand it be overturned.

10. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,340
    I agree that this sounds like an extreme sentencing. While the article goes on to say that the woman was considered a high risk to re-offend, she had more pot on her when arrested, etc. (I bring this up just to say that she is probably not some innocent who never sold drugs before), none of that leads me to think a 10-year sentence is even vaguely reasonable. Unless there is some kind of mandatory sentencing that I missed in the article, the judge should have been able to give a much more lenient sentence.

Yes, these women broke the law. That is not at all in dispute. Giving the 1 woman such a long sentence seems to be going way overboard, however.