Sex between lawyer and client: State Bar sets narrow limits

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Ethical standards for lawyers in California allow them to have sex with their clients, but probably not for much longer.

State Bar trustees voted Thursday to adopt a rule, in effect in most other states, making lawyer-client sex a disciplinary violation unless the couple’s personal relationship preceded their professional relationship. It was part of an overhaul of ethical regulations for California’s 247,000 lawyers that now goes to the state Supreme Court for approval.

“Lawyers have bargaining power over their clients,” James Fox, the State Bar president and former San Mateo County district attorney, said Friday. “A client may feel subtle pressure, or perhaps not-so-subtle pressure, to acquiesce to sexual conduct.”

The trustees heard from lawyers who opposed the change as an invasion of privacy. But the bar’s Office of General Counsel said a dismal record under the current rule showed the need for a prohibition: Out of 205 complaints filed with the office involving lawyer-client sex since the rule took effect in 1992, only one resulted in disciplinary action.

Under the current California standard, a lawyer can have consensual sexual relations with a client as long as the lawyer does not make the sexual relationship a prerequisite for legal representation.

The new rule would prohibit lawyer-client sex except between spouses or a couple who had been in a sexual relationship before becoming lawyer and client. The rule is based on American Bar Association guidelines that most states have adopted.

I'm surprised that this was even allowed in California.

It's more along the lines of ethics because one person in that sexual relationship has power that the other one does not.

Ethical standards for lawyers in California allow them to have sex with their clients, but probably not for much longer.

State Bar trustees voted Thursday to adopt a rule, in effect in most other states, making lawyer-client sex a disciplinary violation unless the couple’s personal relationship preceded their professional relationship. It was part of an overhaul of ethical regulations for California’s 247,000 lawyers that now goes to the state Supreme Court for approval.

“Lawyers have bargaining power over their clients,” James Fox, the State Bar president and former San Mateo County district attorney, said Friday. “A client may feel subtle pressure, or perhaps not-so-subtle pressure, to acquiesce to sexual conduct.”

The trustees heard from lawyers who opposed the change as an invasion of privacy. But the bar’s Office of General Counsel said a dismal record under the current rule showed the need for a prohibition: Out of 205 complaints filed with the office involving lawyer-client sex since the rule took effect in 1992, only one resulted in disciplinary action.

Under the current California standard, a lawyer can have consensual sexual relations with a client as long as the lawyer does not make the sexual relationship a prerequisite for legal representation.

The new rule would prohibit lawyer-client sex except between spouses or a couple who had been in a sexual relationship before becoming lawyer and client. The rule is based on American Bar Association guidelines that most states have adopted.

Most lawyers are sleazy, money-grubbing narcissists. Most feed off human misery, but many go into politics.

It's more along the lines of ethics because one person in that sexual relationship has power that the other one does not.
Agreed. Too much opportunity for abuse. Besides, they are still free to fuck anyone they like, they just can't fuck (over) a client.

Most lawyers are sleazy, money-grubbing narcissists. Most feed off human misery, but many go into politics.

There are many lawyers that simply believe in the rule of law.

Wait a minute... you expect "ethics" from the legal profession?

Really?

I guess you are one of these people who goes to Denny's after an all-night bender and then complains the food isn't any good.

Really?

I guess you are one of these people who goes to Denny's after an all-night bender and then complains the food isn't any good.

Yes. I do expect "ethics" from the legal profession.

I do not do all-night benders and the Moons Over My Hammy® is pretty good.

Really?

Funny (and agreed), which is why we need oversight of the legal "profession".

Attorney's rule of ethics is like water and electricity, it follows the path of least resistance..To get to it's final destination, the bank and a cocktail bar..

So the person seeking legal assistance needs only to have sex with the attorney before giving the attorney the basic $1.00 retainer.

ACT One Scene One:

"I'm sorry Ms. Smith, I am too attracted to you to provide you with legal aid, but I'd love to take you to dinner to discuss your problem."

"Thank you Mr. Jones, I too find you disarmingly attractive, but dinner at my apt. would allow for a more intimate discussion."

"I agree Jennifer, tonight at eight?"

"Yes Alexander, that will be wonderful, I so look forward to our ...meeting".

Jennifer stands and kisses Alexander, squeezes his shoulder, and as she leaves his office looks back as she runs her tongue over her bottom lip and smiles.

I've to hear of one much less meet one. Sure, they say they do, but they have no problem fleecing others while saying it.

I've met many that are really good people.
99% of them give the rest a bad name.

High profile cases can do that. There are some crap ones. There are some good ones. Same as any profession.

I've to hear of one much less meet one. Sure, they say they do, but they have no problem fleecing others while saying it.

High profile cases can do that. There are some crap ones. There are some good ones. Same as any profession.
I can't agree it's quite the same. Lawyers make a living passing laws that benefit their industry and the industry thrives on making things complex for us. They drain our resources and we generally have few options.

I can't agree it's quite the same. Lawyers make a living passing laws that benefit their industry and the industry thrives on making things complex for us. They drain our resources and we generally have few options.
And I agree with that. I don't like those folks either. That said, there are hundreds of prosecutors, judges, public defenders that will wake up tomorrow and handle cases the best they can because they genuinely give a damn.

And I agree with that. I don't like those folks either. That said, there are hundreds of prosecutors, judges, public defenders that will wake up tomorrow and handle cases the best they can because they genuinely give a damn.
No argument there.

Forum List

Back