Set off a Roman candle for ‘the anti-authoritarian instinct’ — and Edward Snowden!

SherriMunnerlyn

VIP Member
Jun 11, 2012
Set off a Roman candle for ‘the anti-authoritarian instinct’ — and Edward Snowden!

"July 4, birthday of the American revolution, and two Ivy League historians, Steve Walt and David Bromwich, are celebrating the man in the transit lounge at the Moscow airport, Edward Snowden. Walt writes that the*founding fathers (sorry about that) would approve, because they broke the law, too, to a higher end:isn't it also possible that they would have seen in him a kindred spirit -- someone who took an irrevocable step on a matter of principle? In particular, they might have seen in him a man who recognized the natural tendency of governments to extend their control over citizens, usually in the name of national security." Set off a Roman candle for Edward Snowden!. I am all for setting off fireworks today, but perhaps something besides a bottle rocket, to applaud the spirit and courage of men like Edward Snowden. He is a man not afraid to sacrifice self for a greater good! For our nation and mankind! I applaud this man and his integrity and courage! Sherri

Last edited:

"July 4, birthday of the American revolution, and two Ivy League historians, Steve Walt and David Bromwich, are celebrating the man in the transit lounge at the Moscow airport, Edward Snowden. Walt writes that the*founding fathers (sorry about that) would approve, because they broke the law, too, to a higher end:isn't it also possible that they would have seen in him a kindred spirit -- someone who took an irrevocable step on a matter of principle? In particular, they might have seen in him a man who recognized the natural tendency of governments to extend their control over citizens, usually in the name of national security." Set off a Roman candle for Edward Snowden!. I am all for setting off fireworks today, but perhaps something besides a bottle rocket, to applaud the spirit and courage of men like Edward Snowden. He is a man not afraid to sacrifice self for a greater good! For our nation and mankind! I applaud this man and his integrity and courage! Sherri

i wish he would have stayed and fought. i think he would have found a lot of support.

i wish he would have stayed and fought. i think he would have found a lot of support.
He would have found a dark hole that he never would have left.

The government has made it clear that they can ‘disappear’ you if you are a ‘terrorist’ and there is no doubt in my mind that he would have been taken to task. I doubt that running is going to change anything for him anyway for that matter BUT it did bring a LOT more focus on him. Without that, there might not have been as much focus and ergo as much support.

Snowden has a lot more in common with the Founding Fathers than corporate tools like Obama and Bush do:

"Snowden revealed the secret information because, he said, 'What they're doing poses an existential threat to democracy.'

"He leaked the documents at great risk to himself. 'I'm willing to sacrifice [his home and family] because I can't in good conscience allow the US government to destroy privacy, internet freedom and basic liberties for people around the world with this massive surveillance machine they're secretly building.'"

Former CIA Employee, Snowden, Blows Whistle on NSA's Dragnet Surveillance

"Let us not forget that the Founding Fathers repeatedly warned about the dangers of standing armies, which they rightly understood to be a perennial threat to liberty. Or that James Madison famously warned that no nation can remain free in a state of perpetual warfare, a sentiment that Barack Obama recently quoted but does not seem to have fully taken to heart."

Set off a Roman candle for Edward Snowden!

You and I disagree on many things, Sherri, but on this one thing we shall agree:

You nailed it this time.

:clap2:

-Jeri

Right. It's called a conscience and it's built in to each one of us, Mr. H. Some of us listen to it, most of us don't. Depends on the cost usually.

-Jeremiah

Don't play with fireworks.

Certainly don't do so for a cheap criminal traitorous bastard like that scumbag Snowden.

Traitorous basted for what?
Letting the American people know that the government was watching them without cause?

Not in his job description.

That’s in all our job descriptions. It is part of being an American where the government is supposed to be subject to the people, not the people subjects to the government. I guess you think that we can provide oversight of corrupt power in the government when we are not even allowed to know what the government is doing.

Forum List

Back