Senate minority Mitch McConnell takes tax hikes off the table

emptystep

VIP Member
Jul 17, 2012
Watched a little c-span. Mitch McConnell gave a little speech to the floor today. I posted the link below. Couple interesting comments he made. He made reference to the 'extreme left who want us to go off the fiscal cliff' group Obama had visit him this week. That would be the group of CEO's from major corporations of the country? (link below) McConnell said Obama was not leading on this issue and Obama's effort 'a joke'.

McConnell got more interesting as he went. He states that he does not believe the government needs more revenue. Really? Going to solve the debt crisis with cuts alone? I guess so because he followed that with, and I quote, "What we will not do is raise rates." So there you have it. Senate minority Mitch McConnell unequivocally takes raising tax rates off the table. Obama offers his hand in friendship to these people what do they do? Turn their back on him. For shame. Republicans are the ones not serious about fixing anything. You would think they would learn their lesson. Hopefully Kentucky can find someone else who will get serious about the problems this country faces rather than being an obstructionist.

Senate Session - C-SPAN Video Library (comment on tax rates 18:15, the first of the video is about hunting on government land. McConnell starts speaking at 12:59)

Which CEOs will visit President Obama Wednesday? - The Washington Post

OK, so? They come to no agreement and taxes get raised anyway per Obama's wishes. Plus some serious cuts. This sounds like a win/win to me. And the dimwits should love it too. Because then they can spend four years blaming republicans for the mess it will create. It seems perfect to me.

But I get why democrats dont like this idea. Because these types want to raise someone elses taxes. The idea that their taxes will go up too, was not part of the Obama agreement. But look at the bright side! Obama never gets any blame anyway, so it can rest easily on republican shoulders.

OK, so? They come to no agreement and taxes get raised anyway per Obama's wishes. Plus some serious cuts. This sounds like a win/win to me. And the dimwits should love it too. Because then they can spend four years blaming republicans for the mess it will create. It seems perfect to me.

Therein lies the rub.

They all want to save their spending priorities....But sackless wonders like McConnell are too cowardly to admit it, so Boiking is using that fact to try for a twofer.

The GOP needs to demand that a Democratic bill be introduced, then pass it by abstention. Otherwise, they will be blamed for all the problems we are going to face.

Senate minority Mitch McConnell unequivocally takes raising tax rates off the table.

Hello fiscal cliff.

If McConnell wasn't such a dipshit he would realize that he could probably negotiate a lower tax hike than what he'll get with his childish attitude.

And yes, the American people will blame the republicans for this. They'll see that Obama tried to toss the republicans a bone, and the republicans snubbed their noses at him, so we got the fiscal cliff.

But I get why democrats dont like this idea. Because these types want to raise someone elses taxes. The idea that their taxes will go up too, was not part of the Obama agreement. But look at the bright side! Obama never gets any blame anyway, so it can rest easily on republican shoulders.

You were a lot less testy and partisan before the election. What gives?

he lost. :lol:

oh, wait, he's a *libertarian*

if all these people had been libertarians before 11/7, gary johnson would have won going away :lol:

Senate minority Mitch McConnell unequivocally takes raising tax rates off the table.

Hello fiscal cliff.

If McConnell wasn't such a dipshit he would realize that he could probably negotiate a lower tax hike than what he'll get with his childish attitude.

And yes, the American people will blame the republicans for this. They'll see that Obama tried to toss the republicans a bone, and the republicans snubbed their noses at him, so we got the fiscal cliff.
He didn't try to toss them jack shit.

He knows that McConnell and the rest of them are too cowardly to admit that they also want to avoid the sequester, and keep their spending priorities intact....So the tax increase on the reviled "wealthy" is being used to blackmail them.

Hello fiscal cliff.

He didn't try to toss them jack shit.

He knows that McConnell and the rest of them are too cowardly to admit that they also want to avoid the sequester, and keep their spending priorities intact....So the tax increase on the reviled "wealthy" is being used to blackmail them.

if they can't take the heat, they should become libertarians

Watched a little c-span. Mitch McConnell gave a little speech to the floor today. I posted the link below. Couple interesting comments he made. He made reference to the 'extreme left who want us to go off the fiscal cliff' group Obama had visit him this week. That would be the group of CEO's from major corporations of the country? (link below) McConnell said Obama was not leading on this issue and Obama's effort 'a joke'.

McConnell got more interesting as he went. He states that he does not believe the government needs more revenue. Really? Going to solve the debt crisis with cuts alone? I guess so because he followed that with, and I quote, "What we will not do is raise rates." So there you have it. Senate minority Mitch McConnell unequivocally takes raising tax rates off the table. Obama offers his hand in friendship to these people what do they do? Turn their back on him. For shame. Republicans are the ones not serious about fixing anything. You would think they would learn their lesson. Hopefully Kentucky can find someone else who will get serious about the problems this country faces rather than being an obstructionist.

Senate Session - C-SPAN Video Library (comment on tax rates 18:15, the first of the video is about hunting on government land. McConnell starts speaking at 12:59)

Did he really say that, or did he say we didn't need tax increases?

You'll get all the tax hikes you want with the sequester, ingrate.

Who wants tax hikes? Who wants to pay their electric bill for that matter?
You want them...And you'll get them.

So quitcherbitchin, you ingrate.

My household income is over 6 figures. Why the fuck would I want more taxes or to lose deductions? I am will in support my country though, and pay my electricity bill.

I am in the middle, too much to be in the safety net but not enough to pay no taxes. We in the middle carry the financial burden of this country on our shoulders.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

That is exactly what he said, c-span video at time 18:25.

"We don't happen to believe the government needs more revenue. Government spends too much as it is" time 18:20 in c-span video

he lost. :lol:

oh, wait, he's a *libertarian*

if all these people had been libertarians before 11/7, gary johnson would have won going away :lol:

Hmm, if he is a libertarian, he loses everyday............:badgrin:

"We don't happen to believe the government needs more revenue. Government spends too much as it is" time 18:20 in c-span video

Well, here is his actual position, your 'gotcha' soundbite, notwithstanding:

In his first speech since Republicans lost Senate seats and the presidential race last week, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Republicans are open to new tax revenue in a fiscal deal in exchange for entitlement reforms.

“Republicans like me have said for more than a year now that we’re open to new revenue in exchange for meaningful reforms to the entitlement programs that are the primary drivers of our debt, so that we can reduce the deficit, protect these programs for today’s seniors, and strengthen them for future generations,” McConnell said in prepared remarks for a floor speech Tuesday.

“This is the basic outline of a plan, and it reflects our seriousness as a party,” McConnell said. He argued the government does not need more tax revenue, but said Republicans will accept it “because Democrats from the President on down have said they’re willing to punish everyone if they don’t get it.”

Rhetorically McConnell’s speech contrasts with an interview his remarks to The Wall Street Journal editorial board published this weekend. “Let me put it very clearly," McConnell said in that interview. "I am not willing to raise taxes to turn off the sequester. Period."

McConnell: GOP Open to New Revenue in Return for 'Reform'

Well, here is his actual position, your 'gotcha' soundbite, notwithstanding:

In his first speech since Republicans lost Senate seats and the presidential race last week, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Republicans are open to new tax revenue in a fiscal deal in exchange for entitlement reforms.

“Republicans like me have said for more than a year now that we’re open to new revenue in exchange for meaningful reforms to the entitlement programs that are the primary drivers of our debt, so that we can reduce the deficit, protect these programs for today’s seniors, and strengthen them for future generations,” McConnell said in prepared remarks for a floor speech Tuesday.

“This is the basic outline of a plan, and it reflects our seriousness as a party,” McConnell said. He argued the government does not need more tax revenue, but said Republicans will accept it “because Democrats from the President on down have said they’re willing to punish everyone if they don’t get it.”

Rhetorically McConnell’s speech contrasts with an interview his remarks to The Wall Street Journal editorial board published this weekend. “Let me put it very clearly," McConnell said in that interview. "I am not willing to raise taxes to turn off the sequester. Period."

McConnell: GOP Open to New Revenue in Return for 'Reform'

Well that speech was two days ago in front of a lot of cameras and this speech was made this morning with the only camera being c-span's. Oh wait, McConnell is a republican, isn't he? :badgrin:

And would 'you people' please get off the 'gotcha soundbite' thing. It is what he said and it is in context. I am sorry if he did not think anyone would hear it.

Forum List

Back