Senate minority Mitch McConnell takes tax hikes off the table

That is exactly what he said, c-span video at time 18:25.

"We don't happen to believe the government needs more revenue. Government spends too much as it is" time 18:20 in c-span video

Well, here is his actual position, your 'gotcha' soundbite, notwithstanding:

In his first speech since Republicans lost Senate seats and the presidential race last week, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Republicans are open to new tax revenue in a fiscal deal in exchange for entitlement reforms.

“Republicans like me have said for more than a year now that we’re open to new revenue in exchange for meaningful reforms to the entitlement programs that are the primary drivers of our debt, so that we can reduce the deficit, protect these programs for today’s seniors, and strengthen them for future generations,” McConnell said in prepared remarks for a floor speech Tuesday.

“This is the basic outline of a plan, and it reflects our seriousness as a party,” McConnell said. He argued the government does not need more tax revenue, but said Republicans will accept it “because Democrats from the President on down have said they’re willing to punish everyone if they don’t get it.”

Rhetorically McConnell’s speech contrasts with an interview his remarks to The Wall Street Journal editorial board published this weekend. “Let me put it very clearly," McConnell said in that interview. "I am not willing to raise taxes to turn off the sequester. Period."

McConnell: GOP Open to New Revenue in Return for 'Reform'

Well that speech was two days ago in front of a lot of cameras and this speech was made this morning with the only camera being c-span's. Oh wait, McConnell is a republican, isn't he? :badgrin:

And would 'you people' please get off the 'gotcha soundbite' thing. It is what he said and it is in context. I am sorry if he did not think anyone would hear it.

Dude. I schooled you. Lick your sore ballsack and move on.

LOL

You were a lot less testy and partisan before the election. What gives?

he lost. :lol:

oh, wait, he's a *libertarian*

if all these people had been libertarians before 11/7, gary johnson would have won going away :lol:

Hmm, if he is a libertarian, he loses everyday............:badgrin:

I stated the obvious truth. And while libertarians "lose" every election, we at least have principle. Unlike the democrats or republicans who consatantly lie and abandon principle for special interest groups.

I'll look for yet another graphic novel, del.

OK, so? They come to no agreement and taxes get raised anyway per Obama's wishes. Plus some serious cuts. This sounds like a win/win to me. And the dimwits should love it too. Because then they can spend four years blaming republicans for the mess it will create. It seems perfect to me.

But I get why democrats dont like this idea. Because these types want to raise someone elses taxes. The idea that their taxes will go up too, was not part of the Obama agreement. But look at the bright side! Obama never gets any blame anyway, so it can rest easily on republican shoulders.

'Fair and Balanced' sounds about right.

OK, so? They come to no agreement and taxes get raised anyway per Obama's wishes. Plus some serious cuts. This sounds like a win/win to me. And the dimwits should love it too. Because then they can spend four years blaming republicans for the mess it will create. It seems perfect to me.

Therein lies the rub.

They all want to save their spending priorities....But sackless wonders like McConnell are too cowardly to admit it, so Boiking is using that fact to try for a twofer.

Everyone agrees we need to cut spending. No one can agree on what. That's always been the perennial problem.

The other problem is our deficit spending has pretty much necessitated the fact we will have to raise taxes. Tax increases alone won't do it though.

Did he really say that, or did he say we didn't need tax increases?

"We don't happen to believe the government needs more revenue. Government spends too much as it is" time 18:20 in c-span video

In his first speech since Republicans lost Senate seats and the presidential race last week, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Republicans are open to new tax revenue in a fiscal deal in exchange for entitlement reforms.

“Republicans like me have said for more than a year now that we’re open to new revenue in exchange for meaningful reforms to the entitlement programs that are the primary drivers of our debt, so that we can reduce the deficit, protect these programs for today’s seniors, and strengthen them for future generations,” McConnell said in prepared remarks for a floor speech Tuesday.

“This is the basic outline of a plan, and it reflects our seriousness as a party,” McConnell said. He argued the government does not need more tax revenue, but said Republicans will accept it “because Democrats from the President on down have said they’re willing to punish everyone if they don’t get it.”

Rhetorically McConnell’s speech contrasts with an interview his remarks to The Wall Street Journal editorial board published this weekend. “Let me put it very clearly," McConnell said in that interview. "I am not willing to raise taxes to turn off the sequester. Period."

LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAID and QUIT LYING.

he lost. :lol:

oh, wait, he's a *libertarian*

if all these people had been libertarians before 11/7, gary johnson would have won going away :lol:

Hmm, if he is a libertarian, he loses everyday............:badgrin:

I stated the obvious truth. And while libertarians "lose" every election, we at least have principle. Unlike the democrats or republicans who consatantly lie and abandon principle for special interest groups.

I'll look for yet another graphic novel, del.

I've never seen you make a joke before.

Ever hear of Ron Paul? LOL

Stupid is as stupid does.
Most Americans want spending cuts AND tax increases. (65% according to exit polls).
If we go off the cliff because a minority of legislators won't give them what they want, who are they going to blame?

They lost the White House, they lost seats in the Senate, and they lost seats in the House. Democratic House candidates actually got more votes than Republican House candidates. But thanks to redistricting the G.O.P. still holds a majority of House seats. I don't like gerrymandering, but both sides do it so ... The takeaway is that the G.O.P. has absolutely NO mandate. They have no leverage and apparently they have NO sense.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Most Americans want spending cuts AND tax increases. (65% according to exit polls).
If we go off the cliff because a minority of legislators won't give them what they want, who are they going to blame?
The "cliff" includes both.

Why is your Boiking making shit up in order to smear the republicans, when the tax increase he wants will be automatic when the sequester kicks in?

You'll get all the tax hikes you want with the sequester, ingrate.

Who wants tax hikes? Who wants to pay their electric bill for that matter?

If my taxes have to go up a notch in order so that we can make sure ALL of our troops are tended to and get jobs and so that Trump's taxes go up and so that defense spending gets cut and so our friends in Jersey can rebuild than that's a tax hike I'm happy to take.

Watched a little c-span. Mitch McConnell gave a little speech to the floor today. I posted the link below. Couple interesting comments he made. He made reference to the 'extreme left who want us to go off the fiscal cliff' group Obama had visit him this week. That would be the group of CEO's from major corporations of the country? (link below) McConnell said Obama was not leading on this issue and Obama's effort 'a joke'.

McConnell got more interesting as he went. He states that he does not believe the government needs more revenue. Really? Going to solve the debt crisis with cuts alone? I guess so because he followed that with, and I quote, "What we will not do is raise rates." So there you have it. Senate minority Mitch McConnell unequivocally takes raising tax rates off the table. Obama offers his hand in friendship to these people what do they do? Turn their back on him. For shame. Republicans are the ones not serious about fixing anything. You would think they would learn their lesson. Hopefully Kentucky can find someone else who will get serious about the problems this country faces rather than being an obstructionist.

Senate Session - C-SPAN Video Library (comment on tax rates 18:15, the first of the video is about hunting on government land. McConnell starts speaking at 12:59)

Which CEOs will visit President Obama Wednesday? - The Washington Post

WTF is this talk about raising taxes, when Bush's tax cuts were supposedly a temporary measure and had an expiration date that the GOP agreed on, but that has been extended for some time now. How about we also cut some aid to nations that can do without it like Israel and others for starters? Then also look for ways to reduce wasteful spending as well.
The fact is that these tax cuts for the super wealthy haven't done squat like they claimed they would, trickle down my ass.
Maybe there should have been a clause that if the tax savings were invested in luxury items and toys instead of somewhere they would have a beneficial trickle down effect, and create jobs, like they said it would, then no tax breaks for the Donald Trumps of the world.
Maybe a compromise can be reached and change the ceiling to half a mil instead of 250 grand.

You'll get all the tax hikes you want with the sequester, ingrate.

Who wants tax hikes? Who wants to pay their electric bill for that matter?

If my taxes have to go up a notch in order so that we can make sure ALL of our troops are tended to and get jobs and so that Trump's taxes go up and so that defense spending gets cut and so our friends in Jersey can rebuild than that's a tax hike I'm happy to take.

I believe that my tax hike has been mandated by the fact that we lived beyond our means for way too long. Politicians gave out money like candy at halloween and didn't have the nerve to tax people enough to pay for it.

So in order to keep from dragging my children and my grandchildren down - I'm gonna have to pay more and receive less. I'll do what I have to do - but don't ask me to be happy about it.

I would give rep but I'll give a little thanks instead. You should have that blood pressure checked though. :lol:

Mitch Mcconnell is a fu*%ing idiot. Nuf Said!

Him and his kind only have the wealthy class in mind, all others are expendable it seems. There's money to go around for their corporate friends and interests, but the old, sick, disabled, unemployed and the veterans are being told to fuck off. I don't know how their constituents keep voting for these MFKers.
Take care of the rich, and send the rest of the poor slobs off to die for Israel, that's what the GOP has become and the resentment is growing. How the hell they can't see that there are more citizens hurting, mainly because of the loose financial/banking laws they cried about needing years ago, but then again money has a tendency to blind these arrogant fucks to real human suffering.

Tax increases are on the table. They take effect Jan 1

If McConnell wants to preserve some of the cuts...he had better start bargaining

Need another link? It was one of the lead item news story from yesterday.

Here is what he said, hosebag:

McConnell urged Obama to lead on the issue, asking him to present a specific reform plan. “Republicans like me have said for more than a year now that we’re open to new revenue in exchange for meaningful reforms to the entitlement programs that are the primary drivers of our debt,” he said on the Senate floor Tuesday afternoon. “Instead of . . . a willingness to solve the problem, we get the same tired talking point -- that we can’t cut our way to prosperity. Well, that may poll well. But it isn’t a plan. It’s a cliché that’s meant to shut down debate and prevent a serious proposal from ever taking shape,” the Kentucky lawmaker said. “How do we get around the stalemate? That’s simple: presidential leadership. We will arrive at a plan when the president presents one. Or we won’t get anywhere at all.”

Both Sides Stake Out Positions on Cuts, Taxes | RealClearPolitics

Last edited:
McConnell and crew are trying to substitute eliminating some deductions for raising taxes. For that I think he can probably get a 2% cut in defense spending.

It's not serious reform and not what the voters mandated.

He's got no leverage, he's got no mandate, and apparently he's got no sense.

The tax hikes are coming. How hard it hits is up to the G.O.P. This can go down a little softer if they make real compromises or they can continue down the path of bull-headed obstructionism and it can go down hard - real hard.

And if that happens the Republicans will be lucky to get a dog catcher elected in Nome.

Watched a little c-span. Mitch McConnell gave a little speech to the floor today. I posted the link below. Couple interesting comments he made. He made reference to the 'extreme left who want us to go off the fiscal cliff' group Obama had visit him this week. That would be the group of CEO's from major corporations of the country? (link below) McConnell said Obama was not leading on this issue and Obama's effort 'a joke'.

McConnell got more interesting as he went. He states that he does not believe the government needs more revenue. Really? Going to solve the debt crisis with cuts alone? I guess so because he followed that with, and I quote, "What we will not do is raise rates." So there you have it. Senate minority Mitch McConnell unequivocally takes raising tax rates off the table. Obama offers his hand in friendship to these people what do they do? Turn their back on him. For shame. Republicans are the ones not serious about fixing anything. You would think they would learn their lesson. Hopefully Kentucky can find someone else who will get serious about the problems this country faces rather than being an obstructionist.

Senate Session - C-SPAN Video Library (comment on tax rates 18:15, the first of the video is about hunting on government land. McConnell starts speaking at 12:59)

Which CEOs will visit President Obama Wednesday? - The Washington Post

Your story has holes large enough to drive an oil tanker through. Refusing to allow a tax rate increase is not the equal to refusing to raise revenues. And CEO's were not the only group Maobama had to the WH this week. But hey let's not a few FACTS get in the way of a good fairy tale.

McConnell and crew are trying to substitute eliminating some deductions for raising taxes. For that I think he can probably get a 2% cut in defense spending.

It's not serious reform and not what the voters mandated.

He's got no leverage, he's got no mandate, and apparently he's got no sense.

The tax hikes are coming. How hard it hits is up to the G.O.P. This can go down a little softer if they make real compromises or they can continue down the path of bull-headed obstructionism and it can go down hard - real hard.

And if that happens the Republicans will be lucky to get a dog catcher elected in Nome.

The voters, in fact, re-elected the People's House of Representatives that they elected in '10 to stop Obama's wreckless deficits.

Agree or disagree, or are you a partisan with a dog in the fight?

Forum List

Back